Thread: DL1 sensors... need help :)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Another option is the Autometer Elite gauges. They all have a 0-5V output from the gauge to connect to a dash/datalogger.

The gauges are quite nice--they can change color and flash to alarm on under/over range.

http://www.autometer.com/media_newsarticle.aspx?aid=106
    #08 ITA/STL Miata

Quote Originally Posted by jwasilko View Post
    Another option is the Autometer Elite gauges. They all have a 0-5V output from the gauge to connect to a dash/datalogger... The gauges are quite nice--they can change color and flash to alarm on under/over range.
    I think The Boys already have a R-T dash that comes with limit warnings and flashy LEDs....

I have a dash 3 So I think I can program it as Greg mentions. I really don't want to buy more gauges our use any part of the ones I have. The idea is to eliminate the gauges I have and give my entire gauge package to my brother and he can buy me the sensors to utilize my dl1 and dash3

Well, the easy button is to buy sensors direct from Race Technology, complete with the harnesses and already-programmed-in functions/formulas.

Oil/ Fuel Pressure - http://www.race-technology.com/oil__...ure_8_976.html
    Oil/diff/water temp - http://www.race-technology.com/water...ure_8_973.html
    Water temp - do you have the OBD inputting to the DASH3 so you can set alarms? If not, same sensor as above.

My oil temp sensor is screwed into the oil pan; water temp is screwed into the head (drilled and re-threaded the stock hole); oil pressure is tee'd off a braided-steel line mounted to the firewall, with the other side of the tee going to the stock dash idiot light. For temps I'm using R-T sensors; for pressure I'm using the lesser-expensive Autometer oil pressure sensor, as pressure is a straight linear-voltage function (temp sensors require step-down resistors to convert the output. Not difficult to do.)

GA

Ok, awesome! Dam that oil pressure sensor is pricey!

You mentioned above you have some sensors.... some you want to sell or are you just saying your using them...

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Ok, awesome! Dam that oil pressure sensor is pricey!
    Which is why we're using the Autometer one. I seem to recall it was about $50 or so. I'll have to look up which one I'm using; Matt, do you remember the right one?

You mentioned above you have some sensors.... some you want to sell or are you just saying your using them...
    I have three Bosch 0281002170 sensors available. Problem is, that's the "old" style oil temperature sensors and Race Technology does not make the harness for that any more. I have some (2? maybe 3?) damaged wiring harnesses that have the correct plug for it, and I've got the correct resistors (from Radio Shack) but they'll need to be repaired. Buy me a 12-pack of local NH IPA and I'll give it all to you at LRP (pls remind me via email to bring them with me).

Problem I had with those is that the wires were breaking at the pins where they went into the sensor plug. Fatigued, broke off. I found out just this past month that R-T changed to using the same sensor and harness for both water and oil temp, with an improved wiring harness, so I bought a whole new setup for oil temp. These could actually work for you fine if you can find a good way to stress-relief the harnesses to stop them from fatiguing.

Done! I won't be at lime rock but I will send Raymond with a 12 pack. And I will bring more to Thompson!

Stephen

Greg, I am not sure what you mean by harness. I have zero wiring going out of the dl1 other than gps and CAN BUS adaptor. Oh and a video thing that I never used...