Thread: DL1 sensors... need help :)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default DL1 sensors... need help :)

I am looking to replace my autometer guages with a sensor to go to my DL1.
    Oil pressure guage
    Oil temp guage
    Rear Diff temp
    Fuel Pressure

Water temp I am already getting through the CAN OBD port but that is all the car sends out through that.

Thanks,
    Stephen

Ok, on the temp gauges...do you have harnesses yet? They use pull-down resistors, and the sensor you need depends on the harness you have. I have three oil temp sensors available for the "old" harness about 5+ years ago, but they're now using the same harness/sensor for both water and oil.

Oil pressure you can use an Autometer sensor and harness, as it does not use pull-down. I've got the formula for that.

Fuel pressure is prob the same sensor as oil pressure.

What do you have, and what do you want to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Ok, on the temp gauges...do you have harnesses yet? They use pull-down resistors, and the sensor you need depends on the harness you have. I have three oil temp sensors available for the "old" harness about 5+ years ago, but they're now using the same harness/sensor for both water and oil.

Oil pressure you can use an Autometer sensor and harness, as it does not use pull-down. I've got the formula for that.

Fuel pressure is prob the same sensor as oil pressure.

What do you have, and what do you want to buy?
    I have autometer guages installed in the dash but thinking of giving them to my brother since I have the DL1. So I would give him the guages and the sensors I have installed along with the wiring. I did have to use an adaptor on the engine to install the autometer oil temp sensor and I would keep that. So basically I have spots for the autometer style sensors to be installed (maybe 1/8NPT but not really sure, I would have to check) and a DL1, so I guess that I need sensors, whatever is needed to wire it into the DL1 and then the magic codes to make it all work!

This is a link to 1 of the guages. they all match... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-4337/overview/

I've got that gauge sending unit in my car for temperature (single wire right?) and the pull down resistor and the equation if you want it. The equation gets a little weird at room temperature so when you start the car it will tell you that the oil & water temps are like 5 deg. I'm guessing they get weird at really high temps too, but in the 190-220 range they are correct having checked them against other known temp senders.

Fuel pressure - autometer makes a fuel pressure gauge that has a three wire sender, will work in parallel w/ the gauge and the DL-1. I have a fuel pressure gauge w/ very technical change to read oil pressure - a small label says "oil" stuck over the "fuel" label. This reads on teh DL-1 w/ a pretty simple equation that the DL-1 will create for you w/ a couple of data points (it is linear, whereas the temp senders are not). I think I have this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-3363/overview/

Shoot me an email or give a call if you want to see how they are wired.

Matt

Another option is the Autometer Elite gauges. They all have a 0-5V output from the gauge to connect to a dash/datalogger.

The gauges are quite nice--they can change color and flash to alarm on under/over range.

http://www.autometer.com/media_newsarticle.aspx?aid=106
    #08 ITA/STL Miata

Quote Originally Posted by jwasilko View Post
    Another option is the Autometer Elite gauges. They all have a 0-5V output from the gauge to connect to a dash/datalogger... The gauges are quite nice--they can change color and flash to alarm on under/over range.
    I think The Boys already have a R-T dash that comes with limit warnings and flashy LEDs....