Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DL1 sensors... need help :)

Default DL1 sensors... need help :)

I am looking to replace my autometer guages with a sensor to go to my DL1.
    Oil pressure guage
    Oil temp guage
    Rear Diff temp
    Fuel Pressure

Water temp I am already getting through the CAN OBD port but that is all the car sends out through that.

Thanks,
    Stephen

Ok, on the temp gauges...do you have harnesses yet? They use pull-down resistors, and the sensor you need depends on the harness you have. I have three oil temp sensors available for the "old" harness about 5+ years ago, but they're now using the same harness/sensor for both water and oil.

Oil pressure you can use an Autometer sensor and harness, as it does not use pull-down. I've got the formula for that.

Fuel pressure is prob the same sensor as oil pressure.

What do you have, and what do you want to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Ok, on the temp gauges...do you have harnesses yet? They use pull-down resistors, and the sensor you need depends on the harness you have. I have three oil temp sensors available for the "old" harness about 5+ years ago, but they're now using the same harness/sensor for both water and oil.

Oil pressure you can use an Autometer sensor and harness, as it does not use pull-down. I've got the formula for that.

Fuel pressure is prob the same sensor as oil pressure.

What do you have, and what do you want to buy?
    I have autometer guages installed in the dash but thinking of giving them to my brother since I have the DL1. So I would give him the guages and the sensors I have installed along with the wiring. I did have to use an adaptor on the engine to install the autometer oil temp sensor and I would keep that. So basically I have spots for the autometer style sensors to be installed (maybe 1/8NPT but not really sure, I would have to check) and a DL1, so I guess that I need sensors, whatever is needed to wire it into the DL1 and then the magic codes to make it all work!

This is a link to 1 of the guages. they all match... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-4337/overview/

I've got that gauge sending unit in my car for temperature (single wire right?) and the pull down resistor and the equation if you want it. The equation gets a little weird at room temperature so when you start the car it will tell you that the oil & water temps are like 5 deg. I'm guessing they get weird at really high temps too, but in the 190-220 range they are correct having checked them against other known temp senders.

Fuel pressure - autometer makes a fuel pressure gauge that has a three wire sender, will work in parallel w/ the gauge and the DL-1. I have a fuel pressure gauge w/ very technical change to read oil pressure - a small label says "oil" stuck over the "fuel" label. This reads on teh DL-1 w/ a pretty simple equation that the DL-1 will create for you w/ a couple of data points (it is linear, whereas the temp senders are not). I think I have this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-3363/overview/

Shoot me an email or give a call if you want to see how they are wired.

Matt

Another option is the Autometer Elite gauges. They all have a 0-5V output from the gauge to connect to a dash/datalogger.

The gauges are quite nice--they can change color and flash to alarm on under/over range.

http://www.autometer.com/media_newsarticle.aspx?aid=106
    #08 ITA/STL Miata

Quote Originally Posted by jwasilko View Post
    Another option is the Autometer Elite gauges. They all have a 0-5V output from the gauge to connect to a dash/datalogger... The gauges are quite nice--they can change color and flash to alarm on under/over range.
    I think The Boys already have a R-T dash that comes with limit warnings and flashy LEDs....

I have a dash 3 So I think I can program it as Greg mentions. I really don't want to buy more gauges our use any part of the ones I have. The idea is to eliminate the gauges I have and give my entire gauge package to my brother and he can buy me the sensors to utilize my dl1 and dash3

Greg, I am not sure what you mean by harness. I have zero wiring going out of the dl1 other than gps and CAN BUS adaptor. Oh and a video thing that I never used...

Well, the easy button is to buy sensors direct from Race Technology, complete with the harnesses and already-programmed-in functions/formulas.

Oil/ Fuel Pressure - http://www.race-technology.com/oil__...ure_8_976.html
    Oil/diff/water temp - http://www.race-technology.com/water...ure_8_973.html
    Water temp - do you have the OBD inputting to the DASH3 so you can set alarms? If not, same sensor as above.

My oil temp sensor is screwed into the oil pan; water temp is screwed into the head (drilled and re-threaded the stock hole); oil pressure is tee'd off a braided-steel line mounted to the firewall, with the other side of the tee going to the stock dash idiot light. For temps I'm using R-T sensors; for pressure I'm using the lesser-expensive Autometer oil pressure sensor, as pressure is a straight linear-voltage function (temp sensors require step-down resistors to convert the output. Not difficult to do.)

GA

Ok, awesome! Dam that oil pressure sensor is pricey!

You mentioned above you have some sensors.... some you want to sell or are you just saying your using them...

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Ok, awesome! Dam that oil pressure sensor is pricey!
    Which is why we're using the Autometer one. I seem to recall it was about $50 or so. I'll have to look up which one I'm using; Matt, do you remember the right one?

You mentioned above you have some sensors.... some you want to sell or are you just saying your using them...
    I have three Bosch 0281002170 sensors available. Problem is, that's the "old" style oil temperature sensors and Race Technology does not make the harness for that any more. I have some (2? maybe 3?) damaged wiring harnesses that have the correct plug for it, and I've got the correct resistors (from Radio Shack) but they'll need to be repaired. Buy me a 12-pack of local NH IPA and I'll give it all to you at LRP (pls remind me via email to bring them with me).

Problem I had with those is that the wires were breaking at the pins where they went into the sensor plug. Fatigued, broke off. I found out just this past month that R-T changed to using the same sensor and harness for both water and oil temp, with an improved wiring harness, so I bought a whole new setup for oil temp. These could actually work for you fine if you can find a good way to stress-relief the harnesses to stop them from fatiguing.

Done! I won't be at lime rock but I will send Raymond with a 12 pack. And I will bring more to Thompson!

Stephen

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessorieslist.aspx?pid=8

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2246

Well, not $50, but still a good amount cheaper than Race-Technology.

The full sweep Autometer temp senders are about the same percentage cheaper too. I haven't used them, but I suspect they work similarly. However, at $12 for a simple 1-wire Autometer sender (#2253), step down resistors at Radio Shack are pretty cheap. Type the 4 digit Autometer # into the search box on the Summit site to get pricing (at least that is what I've done).

Quote Originally Posted by MMiskoe View Post
    That's the one I'm using.

GA

Thanks guys, I will buy that pressure guage and then grab the temp sensors from greg. Matt since you live near me maybe I can buy some beer or give you money and you can help me wire this all together and program the DL1. Dugan has a lift in Loudon if that makes it easier or I can bring my car to you

would this be the wiring needed for the oil pressure sensor?

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accesso...l.aspx?vid=216

Looks right...

Thanks guys, I will buy that pressure guage and then grab the temp sensors from greg. Matt since you live near me maybe I can buy some beer or give you money and you can help me wire this all together and program the DL1. Dugan has a lift in Loudon if that makes it easier or I can bring my car to you
    At this rate we'd be doing it on the slab outside if you came to my place, plus there is no need to haul the car that far. Give me a call, we'll work it out. There is no one item that is very hard, but when you add it all up, there is time and thought needed to get it right.

Done! I won't be at lime rock but I will send Raymond with a 12 pack. And I will bring more to Thompson!
    Found all three temp sensors, three bustificated wiring harness, two electrical plugs, and the resistors. All yours. I'm even including the specialized tool I made to de-pin the housing (a bent cotter pin).

Now I just gotta remember to toss it into whatever vehicle I'm taking to LRP...unless you want me to toss it in the mail?

Greg

While you're adding sensors, think about a coolant pressure sensor and an alarm to tell you when you've sprung a leak.
    #08 ITA/STL Miata