Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
I think you have to also look at the intent of the rule(s). From that perspective I dont think it's legal.
I concur. In my opinion the intent of the reg is to allow opening up of the restrictive stock air filter systems while avoiding allowances of things like ram air, cowl induction, and cold air intakes. We subsequently opened that further by allowing anything upstream of the throttle body/MAF/etc.

On the other hand, all air comes from outside the engine compartment, and it has to get in there somehow. We're seeing cold air boxes and radiant and convective heat shields around air filters and intake tubes to minimize the heating effects of the engine compartment.

With that in mind, how does this fit into that mindset? Is it incremental, and if so, within the boundaries of the intent? Or is it revolutionary to the point of being extra-compliant?

I dunno, that's why I'm asking. But at this point, ignoring the value of it, I'm thinking if you trim back the upper edge of the rectangular section such that it is at or behind the vertical plane of the aft edge of the radiator then you're compliant.

GA

P.S., Mr Original Asker, please note that nothing decided on this board even begins to imply what answers you'd get during a protest and/or appeal. This is the Internet and these opinions are worth exactly what that implies...