>>> It's also an easy protest that I have to imagine would come with a small protest bond fee. Curious, what do you think that would be?

Nothing, just the $25 protest fee. Bonds are collected to cover the expense of any destructive inspections (e.g. engine tear-down) to reimburse the protestee if found compliant. In this case, there are no such costs.

>>> After this simple protest is filed, it's then going to be a debate amount the powers that be just as being done here. Maybe found illegal then move on up to National.

After the protest is filed, the Chief Steward will form an SOM to discuss the issue. They may ask for feedback from ITAC/CRB members. At that point they will present their decision. The protestee at that point can file an appeal to Topeka, at which point an Appeals Court will be formed to review the issue.

>>> Back to the real question, it sure looks debatable and right on the edge of the rules if it's not illegal.

Concur. Which is why I brought it here (with the permission of the original questioner.)

>>> That plastic cover near the rad. All year 1.8s have them? I don't recall ever seeing one on a Miata.

Yup, but it's a commonly-lost item. I think it's held in by a couple of plastic clips that are easily broken/brittle from time. Since we can replace the radiator with a sufficiently-large one, it's quite possible an advantage to 1.8L Miata drivers to "leave it lost" and allow cooler air to come into the engine compartment...probably a "weenie protest" item, unless coupled to something like this intake...but technically non-compliant.

GA