Thread: IT should really think about welcoming Older SM's....... Without a new class..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Steve,
    I hope you are not being sarcastic.... If not, this is what I think. It just seems to me that participation is not great... And if I am wrong then the attitude should be, How do we create more interest? This past weekend at Pittrace I choose to run my SM because there was only 1 ITR car and 2-3 ITS cars. SM numbers were not great either, 12-13 SM's.... However I had a busy race instead of just riding around by myself ..... I understand this is not true for all regions but do you really think many IT cars are being built this year? I think the key is to make it easy and friendly.

Greg

Heck, we don't think any IT cars are being built. So you are saying that way to build interest in IT is to allow cars already built to a different ruleset to run in our category? I'm not sure I'm seeing that. If we have a decent turnout of ITA cars, then yeah, maybe SM2 cars are interested because they have something to race against. But if there aren't any ITA cars, then why not just create SM2 and be done with it? And if there aren't any SM2 cars, then why are we even talking about this?

Perception is going to be one big issue allowing SM2 cars into ITA. the SM2 cars are going to think they are slow and being screwed and/or the existing ITA cars are going to think the SM2 cars are fast and they are getting screwed. Best case, one group is going to be unhappy and unmotivated to show up and get smoked (in their mind), worst cast BOTH groups think this.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Jim,
    I guess I'm lost if no IT cars are being built but the attitude is .." We don't need change bcause it could upset the concept that used to bring drivers"... Remember this thread I created was an idea to help.. I think time maybe passing the rule book by.. And that is sad to me. I recently sold my ITS rx7 due to the issue of parts availability... Tranny parts are becoming impossible to get... Many guys are putting miata guts in and no one is saying a thing...this is real. I was buying used tranny parts... That's crazy! I am not talking about crazy aftermarket stuff,but allowances that promote IT.
    One weird thing I noticed this weekend was the lack of full built cars. Maybe this is a trend ? Please...... Let the creative people come forward..... Consider ideas..... And for god sakes quit this write a letter stuff.... No need for the SCCA to keep the post office in business .... These forums should be used .... Changes do not need to be on request only.

Greg

100 percent serious Greg. All these other classes let IT cars run "as is" to let them experience a National class. Why not go the other way? Usually have plenty of rental shops with cars there and many SM drivers sick of not owning a 99 Miata. No changes from SM, just come run ITA in the early cars. In that form it is not a class winner except in a soft field.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by gpeluso View Post
    Jim,. No need for the SCCA to keep the post office in business .... These forums should be used .... Changes do not need to be on request only.

Greg
    you do know that "write a letter" means submit an request on line at SCCA.com?
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
    Heck, we don't think any IT cars are being built. So you are saying that way to build interest in IT is to allow cars already built to a different ruleset to run in our category? I'm not sure I'm seeing that. If we have a decent turnout of ITA cars, then yeah, maybe SM2 cars are interested because they have something to race against. But if there aren't any ITA cars, then why not just create SM2 and be done with it? And if there aren't any SM2 cars, then why are we even talking about this?

Perception is going to be one big issue allowing SM2 cars into ITA. the SM2 cars are going to think they are slow and being screwed and/or the existing ITA cars are going to think the SM2 cars are fast and they are getting screwed. Best case, one group is going to be unhappy and unmotivated to show up and get smoked (in their mind), worst cast BOTH groups think this.
    Sure they are. I'm aware of at least 5 ITS cars being built/under construction in the SEDiv.

All depends on competition.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8