Thread: IT should really think about welcoming Older SM's....... Without a new class..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    Should it be a gift to those with power steering?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    If it's optional, you can convert to the manual rack.
    You missed my point.

SAE net horsepower -- upon which we base our Improved Touring weights -- is measured with all auxiliary devices installed, including water pump, alternator, power steering pump, etc (old pre-'72 SAE gross was with everything removed, including restrictive exhausts). The question is, for those cars with power steering as an option, how is that number determined? If it's measured with all accessories, then allowing these cars to remove the power steering is a "gift" that cannot be equitably applied, and breaks The Process.

As a direct example, is the Mazda Miata SAE net measured on the base model car, the one without power steering, or the "worst case" scenario, the one with all the auxiliary devices installed? If the latter, then the true "gift" goes to the car that can remove items that were there when the measurement was done.

The vast majority of cars sold within the last two decades have power steering installed as standard. I think we'd be hard-pressed to find too many specific examples where allowing removal across-the-board would place cars in inequitable positions.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    The vast majority of cars sold within the last two decades have power steering installed as standard. I think we'd be hard-pressed to find too many specific examples where allowing removal across-the-board would place cars in inequitable positions.

GA
    Point I was trying to make five days ago using ITS as an example. Few cars are affected by the rule change. How many of the cars affected are actively racing and racing in active classes?

Beyond that, the process has such low resolution that the 1,2,3,4 hp the PS consumes is lost in the noise. Hell, if we're going to worry about that then we should start second guessing manufacturers' horsepower numbers as well.

Disabling/looping the PS is a very minor change that isn't going to make one iota of difference in competitiveness between cars in IT.