Thread: IT should really think about welcoming Older SM's....... Without a new class..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    re depowered racks - SAE net HP includes accessories, SAE certified HP does likewise. so everything from the early 70's on that ONLY came with PS, yes, it is included in the process.
    does that mean we should or shouldn't allow them? you've all seen the votes out of the committee and CRB in the past. it hasn't been allowed, we dont' see a NEED to allow it, and it COULD have some effect on parity. easy to do, convenient, etc.. are good arguments. they are not the only arguemnts considered. FWIW, I'm in the camp to allow depowering racks on cars whos specline included both PS and manual steering - but it's confusing and I understand why this position was not adopted.
    If this is true then you have already given the power steering equiped cars an advantage. The tricks that can be used to negate the PS drag free up this lost HP and are not factored in the process. See how this is all just noise in the overall picture. So who do we need to pressure on the CRB to get this done??
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

...and there are cases of cars with and without PSon different speclines due to trim or body type (think civic) with the same publsihed hp ratings, the ability to underdrive a parasitic system that is an effective gain over the cars without it, etc... no argument, and it's not the CRB. 'nuff said. you know where the letter form is.

FWIW NOTHING matches the process anyhow. E.G. all the popular ITS stuff is 5% or more above expected power, big motor cars like Jeff's TR8 and the mustangs are well above process weight and power (by how much I do not know, but they do allow that they are well over both). we're just lucky everythign has found a good relative balance due to all the hard work by the competitors, and a fair bit of luck on the classing of cars that "go well together". it's not because of the process. I like the concept, but in execution it's not getting the job done. in the end, we could have just clumped the cars togetehr, pooma'ed some weights, made a few adjustments in time and arrived at the same place. I'm not advocating change, at least SOEMTHIGN objective and repeatable is at play, but it's not the roseta stone to car classing magic as has been touted in the past. it's just a symple math formula that puts out a number that is just one of many variables at play.
    Last edited by Chip42; 06-12-2014 at 11:42 AM.