Thread: Snell 2015

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Snell 2015

Here's a question for those in the know. Per the GCR today we have to have a helmet with Snell2005 or newer. As I understand it the more generic rule is it is acceptable to have the newest SNELL or one previous.

As we approach 2015, I am assuming I will have to retire my 2005 helmet, but the question is does the 2015 take effect at the beginning of the year, the end of the year or somewhere in between? That is to say if the SNELL 2015 helmets aren't available yet for my first race will I have to upgrade to a 2010, or, use my 2005, get the annual sticker, and wait until the 2015's are readily available?
    B. Shriver
    -Carguy, aspiring racer
    IT7 #66 "Worlds Slowest RX7"
    www.threesevenresearch.com

Quote Originally Posted by bbshriver View Post
    ...does the 2015 take effect at the beginning of the year, the end of the year or somewhere in between?
    The answer is "it's effective when published in the GCR". Historically, that has happened the racing year after the helmets are released; e.g., requirement for 2010 or later will be effective in the January 2016 GCR. In 30 years of racing I've never seen new helmets mandated within the racing year via Fastrack, it has always been in the first GCR of the year.

I suppose it's possible that if 2015s helmets are available by the end of this year we could disallow 2005s for 2015, but that's highly unlikely.

GA

don't sweat it ... the GCR won't change until the SA15 is in the marketplace, and sometimes not until the season after that... a quick google shows the SA15 standard was released March 25 2014, but no helmets currently being sold meeting that standard... Also, the GCR changes for the following season are published way ahead of time, so you won't be surprised...but don't worry they will never require only one available generation of helmets, so you will never have to get the SA10, just wait for the SA15 to get into the market.
    Last edited by lawtonglenn; 05-27-2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: found the March release of SA15

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Greg and I were typing at the same time .... so ... "what he said"

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

we will know in October. if it looks like there are plenty available it could be in 15 other wise we will wait another year.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

As others have mentioned, don't worry about it. I had an SA2000 and the SA2010 rollout was delayed a while- several months for some reason or another- the 2000 standard helmet was legal until the 2010 models were readily available. (actually it was a crapcan race that required me to update the helmet before SCCA did).
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Thanks for the responses that's what I'd hoped for. I started racing in 2010, but it was just before I could buy a 2010 helmet and was hoping I wouldn't get stuck in a perpetual 5 year cycle, especially as i'm hoping to move up the Simpson ladder a notch and get a sized helmet. I have an odball size head that's exactly between a L and M. Actually my measurement is halfway between 7-1/4 and 7-3/8 and that is usually the split between M and L.
    B. Shriver
    -Carguy, aspiring racer
    IT7 #66 "Worlds Slowest RX7"
    www.threesevenresearch.com