Thread: e36 BMW STU ?

Default e36 BMW STU ?

I’m researching a possible STU build idea. BMW e36, I want to run the 2.5L engine. Couple of questions, if I run a 325is am I allowed to use the e36 M3 body work (front fascia,side panels) ? or if I swap in the 2.5L M50 engine from the 325 of this generation car into an e36 M3 chassis with that body work is that allowed? VIN# does not matter?

I know the GCR states 'standard body appearance must be strictly maintained'

thanks
    Last edited by prodogdriver; 05-16-2014 at 03:57 PM.

I don't know these cars specoifically but:

- Any US chassis is allowed;
    - No VIN requirements, so you can make a better model from a lesser version;
    - Family engine swaps are allowed.

So...you could take a regular 325, make it in all other respects an M3, and install the regular 2.5L engine into it.

Does that help?

GA

perfect...follow up question. since the e36 M3 with the 3.2L motor has an STU spec line & big weight assignment do I log book the car & race registrar the car as 325i or M3? (I might just be over thinking this)

Quote Originally Posted by prodogdriver View Post
    perfect...follow up question. since the e36 M3 with the 3.2L motor has an STU spec line & big weight assignment do I log book the car & race registrar the car as 325i or M3? (I might just be over thinking this)
    Yep, you're over-thinking it. You logbook it as an STU BMW-something, whatever you prefer. Minimum weight will be based on installed engine. - GA

To follow with Greg's comment, log the car based on what the chassis is. The chassis is the chassis is the chassis, that part won't ever change. The engine and bodywork can easily change if you were to ever change it to Prod, GT, IT or whatever in the future.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by prodogdriver View Post
    I’m researching a possible STU build idea. BMW e36, I want to run the 2.5L engine. Couple of questions, if I run a 325is am I allowed to use the e36 M3 body work (front fascia,side panels) ? or if I swap in the 2.5L M50 engine from the 325 of this generation car into an e36 M3 chassis with that body work is that allowed? VIN# does not matter?

I know the GCR states 'standard body appearance must be strictly maintained'

thanks
    Go with the M54 instead. Irish Mike has built a really fast reliable one.

Vin doesnt matter in ST.