Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Runoffs at Laguna Seca Roll Call

Default 2014 Runoffs at Laguna Seca Roll Call

Hey since this is the place for STU/STL to post and not impose on the Prod guys. I thought I start this thread. I finished my 3rd weekend race at the Buttonwillow Majors. I'm qualified, so now the car prep begins.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Highly unlikely that I will be competing. Less - but not completely - unlikely that I could be there for spectating and/or scrutineering purposes...

When it's within 1,000 miles of home and I can possibly afford the time off work, tow costs, and the associated hooplah, then I'll consider going.. Until then, I'm going to stay home and enjoy keeping my marriage intact.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Sorry to hear that Greg. I thought you'd at least be keeping us "cheater" west-coast STU's in line

Matt, make plans now, it's only another 900 miles beyond your target. What about when it's at COTA? Would you go then? Or how about Miller? That'd be right at 1k miles from Houston-ish area.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Would love to, but towing 3000+ miles each way makes it pretty difficult. I guess you could say that the reason I'm unlikely to go 3/3rds across the country for the Runoffs was the same reasons you didn't go 2/3rds of the way across the country for the Runoffs... But I sincerely hope Kalifornia "brings it" and we have a good event.

We'd always have some one arrange to truck ship a group of cars (in a variety of classes makes and models) or get toeather with a steward to tow it out with their motorhome and cover some fuel costs. As I'd not been to one yet and my car wasn't prepared, it was a sort of chicken/egg. My hope is it builds my racing next season, even if I don't make it to Sebering or Mid-O the year after.

Recognise the blue Integra?

I almost ran over him on Saturday, after he spun in some oil on the other side of a blind bluff turn, but I don't have video of that since my card was full. He says he has your motor in it
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Recognise the blue Integra?....He says he has your motor in it
    Yep! Tom Lepper. Good guy. He's the one we did the madz engine swap with at the Runoffs last year. Short version of story: I built a B17 (1.7L) as an experiment last year (to reduce minimum weight) was not particularly satisfied with the result. Tom's car came with a B17, and he popped the engine on his in qually. I wanted motivation to swap back to my B18 for the race...and thus a match made in heaven. Well, in the paddock at Road America at least...

He has offered to me the opportunity to rent it for the Runoffs. I'm intrigued but not yet willing to commit to the time and expense. But it would certainly be the "easy button" for me to get to drive Laguna Seca.

GA

Matt, make plans now, it's only another 900 miles beyond your target. What about when it's at COTA? Would you go then? Or how about Miller? That'd be right at 1k miles from Houston-ish area.
    I have many factors that prevent me from making the tow.
    1. 150WHP "STU" car.. why fight for last?
    2. Have our second kid coming in August.
    3. no vacation since I spent it all with the family. 1900 miles is 3 hard days each way, plus a week there. so I need 2 weeks off to make it there and back. I only get 3 weeks of vacation and with reason #2.... yeah.. I like my marriage.
    4. Money. Go back to #2!
    5. trying to get my EP car together, so only money going into the STU car is maintenance. refer to #1.

If/when Runoffs comes to COTA, I'll be there. I plan to have my EP car done by the end of this summer and it will actually be competitive.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    I have many factors that prevent me from making the tow.
    1. 150WHP "STU" car.. why fight for last?
    2. Have our second kid coming in August.
    3. no vacation since I spent it all with the family. 1900 miles is 3 hard days each way, plus a week there. so I need 2 weeks off to make it there and back. I only get 3 weeks of vacation and with reason #2.... yeah.. I like my marriage.
    4. Money. Go back to #2!
    5. trying to get my EP car together, so only money going into the STU car is maintenance. refer to #1.

If/when Runoffs comes to COTA, I'll be there. I plan to have my EP car done by the end of this summer and it will actually be competitive.
    Well in that case there's only one thing to say.....

Congratulations!

Have you had the ultrasounds yet?

As for the racing, we fit it in when we can afford it, so no worries.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    He has offered to me the opportunity to rent it for the Runoffs. I'm intrigued but not yet willing to commit to the time and expense. But it would certainly be the "easy button" for me to get to drive Laguna Seca.

GA
    Seriously, you ought to take him up on that. He can always run the BL Toaster in FP. That is if Carl Young can keep the Cobalt togeather.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Well in that case there's only one thing to say.....

Congratulations!

Have you had the ultrasounds yet?

As for the racing, we fit it in when we can afford it, so no worries.
    Thanks!
    This one is going to be a boy. we already have a 2 1/2yr old girl, so we get one of each. we're DONE. snip snip! :eek: I know the girl is at least a gearhead-- she's been asking me for a pink helmet and race soup (suit) for the last 6 months so she can race with daddy. sounds to me like she's ready for a kart! Now I just have to convince mom and figure out how I can still afford to race too...
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

this thread gets me more excited about the 2016 runoffs at mid o.

and that's a long way off

Quote Originally Posted by adamjabaay View Post
    this thread gets me more excited about the 2016 runoffs at mid o.

and that's a long way off
    Now that you know, start your prep work now. I wish I had a couple of years to get my car ready. I would have had a spare motor that'd be the equal of my in progress race motor. Also, I'd have been able to spread the development costs over a couple of seasons, instead of having my cage, suspension, and motor all updated in the same season. As it sits now, if you're going STL, you've got to stay ahead of a gaggle of mid-pack 99+ spec Miatae, that take their restrictor out, all of whom are trying to qualify when they know they know they're pack fodder and not likely to qualify in SM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Not going. Too far, and given the low STU turnout ytd, I'd be surprised if the class gets enough entires to be an actual championship.

I'm sure the numbers are high enough, on the majors points page we've got 12 already qualified. Plus there's all the others who are going the divisional route. I was just talking to a guy who just purchased a former Speedsource Rx-8 into doing STU for the RO. Then the invited locals from So/Nor-Pac. Lots of racers that will fill it up last minute, I'm sure.

Besides, MRLS isn't exactly the largest paddock out there, it's going to be tight, I hope they can stop the two totter/two formula car teams from taking up half the paddock, but given the history at Thunder Hill that may be too much to ask.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

One Spec RX7 "STU" car here came in a 50' trailer and a camper.. parked on the front straight at MSRH taking up the space where 8 cars usually park.. :\
    At least the formula cars that squatted next to them were a arrive & drive group who had about 8 cars under one tent and the drivers stayed in hotels..

Back to the point-- Who was the RX8? I ran with one at Eagles Canyon and Hallett a couple months ago. Curious if that's the same guy?
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Back in the 80s plus, when we arrived at Road Atlanta with our old trucks and open trailer we were told to unload and drag the trailer WAAAAAAYYYY off into the kudzu to leave enough space for competitors. We were in awe of the guys that came in enclosed trailers.

It would be ironic - and poetic justice - if the space hogs were forced to go WAAAAAAYYYY away because of their inefficiencies...

Yeah, I know. But it's nice to daydream about it.

Lonny Sheek, purchased his Rx-8 from a guy in Texas, so he might have driven it there before bringing it back to Cali, or the guy in Texas finally decided to drive it before selling it. Lonny told me the guy's son was a Karter and Pops had a fleet of track cars for both Jr and himself. Ultimately the boy went for a FB car, and dad was consolidating the fleet. The car was a nice solid silver.

Agreed on that Greg, it'd be nice if the paddock management gave equal space to all regardless of tow/trailer type. Sadly, the team I spoke of had one totter for the two F-car and the second was pure hospitality.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

We were told in our drivers meeting at Thunderhill a few weeks ago that everyone at the runoffs will absolutely be limited to the same paddock size unless they are willing to pay a premium for more space. I don't remember the exact dimensions we were told, but it wasn't very big. Something like 20x30.

That's great to hear Joe. 20x30 should just be big enough for a pop-up, my truck, and some room for tools. The RV's staying outside of turn 9.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter