Thread: 1st Gen ITA oil cooling problems

Default 1st Gen ITA oil cooling problems

As soon as air temp gets to 25C the oil temp goes over redline (cant remember value and dont have records with me) then the coolant follows.
    The picture is not pretty but this is the cooler now installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Has it ever run cool, or has it always overheated?

That looks like a 2nd gen cooler. I've got two of them in my S4, and also use a splitter to collect more air. It's important to seal up the air paths around the cooler so that all the air goes through the cooler. My oil temp tops out at about 210F.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Has always been high. Got a little better after adding the small ducting. Have read some forums suggesting to mount the cooler below the round frame bar. Have you got a picture of your splitter and coolers or any other info. Is the splitter legal?? What about a cooler with fans as from Summit or similiar.
    Also what about getting the header heat out of the engine compartment, any ducting, header tape, ceramic coating etc used for that? I have a shield mounted on intake manifold bolt holes which helped fuel heating issue and contributed to cooler running as well.

Have you ruled out an air-fuel ratio issue? If it's running lean you'll never get it to run cool.

A splitter is legal, as long as it conforms to the regulations.

I'd like you to get some advice from a 1st gen guy, because there are some significant differences in location/mounting of some key components (radiator, for instance). I use the stock cooler mount below the round bar for one cooler, and clamp mounts for the 2nd cooler to the round bar, with the cooler positioned above the bar. A sheet metal divider forces air through the bumper cover into the upper cooler, while air below the bumper cover is forced through the lower cooler. All the air from both coolers then is forced through the radiator. It took some custom sheet metal fabrication to get that all sealed up. I've seen other arrangements where the air though the lower cooler exits out the bottom and bypasses the radiator.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

The plugs are light brown color if that helps as to air fuel.
    I guess as you say more cooler and better position ducting.
    Any other suggestions or pictures would be great.

Sorry forget to mention, I have a Ron Davies rad in the stock position with electric fan.

I've been running a first gen for a while. My second gen oil cooler is mounted below the pipe. I cannot run a fan. Without the fan at race speed I stay at 190-200 water, 220 oil. With the fan I found I can go well over 200 water while in a draft for awhile. A fan is great while on the grid or if my wife runs autox, but the car for sure runs cooler without it at speed. I have a big splitter and sealed up all the opening where the splitter approaches the radiator. I run the rear of the hood slightly up, both headlight covers are up on the leading edge. I know several guys in so Cal running 1st gens. Absolutely no fans!