Thread: Interior Painting: studs and threaded holes

Default Interior Painting: studs and threaded holes

A few more hours of prep and masking and it will be time to spray bomb the interior. There are lots of studs and threaded holes for attaching dash, pedals, etc. I assume that I need to keep paint off of/out of these in order for them to be useable when done. Is that correct? If so, how have folks kept these clean when painting the interior.

Thanks
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by backformore View Post
    A few more hours of prep and masking and it will be time to spray bomb the interior. There are lots of studs and threaded holes for attaching dash, pedals, etc. I assume that I need to keep paint off of/out of these in order for them to be useable when done. Is that correct? If so, how have folks kept these clean when painting the interior.

Thanks
    Rory
    alot of times the threads will be fine but I like to be safe and roll up a piece of tape and place it in hole..if you're feeling fancy mcmaster car will sell little rubber plugs in the correct sizes as well.
    Jason Carroll - NER IT7 #07

OR you could just paint the holes and put the bolts back on when it dries. Unless its a ground then clean it up when done. A spray bomb will not spray enough material to plug them up like powder coat or BC/CC will.

A roller on the other hand leaves lots of material around. Hmmmmm who would use a roller on a car? Not an IT7 driver, no way no how....
    All posts are made by a fat old guy with a crappy old car that isnt supported by a factory anymore and therefore should not be taken seriously, EVER

We buy our tires at WalMart 205/50-15 NT-01 $148.00 last all season and go faster as they wear out........

Driver Skills Development, 7's Racing Skunk Works
    it7racing.com

Ignore the threaded holes and put aluminum foil on the studs. Much easier to put on and comes off with no residue. Spray away!!
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Thanks. As always just the info I was looking for and great advice.

When I was doing powdercoating, Eastwood (Summit now) sold silicone tapered plugs for holes, and then I would use foil or tape over male threads. foil is much easier to get off and doesn't leave sticky stuff behind. When I did my cage, I wrapped the steering column and wiring and such with foil- much easier to cover than with paper and tape, and even easier to remove.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

You can always run a tap or die in or on the threads if you get too much paint on them. Doubtful you'd need to though.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

Paint = Locktite
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place