Thread: What Wets

Default What Wets

For those not using Hoosier wets, what are folks using for rains/inters?

Rory

Full-tread (or shaved to 6/32) Toyo RA1s have generally been the poor man's alternative to Ho-Hos. Not as fast, but won't over-heat if the track dries out either.

That said, as one who has thus far resisted the urge to spend major coin on a set of tires I may use once a season, I generally just avoid racing the the rain whenever I can.

(Ironically, my only SCCA class win came last year on a track that was wet when we started the race, and was still damp with some puddles when we took the checker. Go figure...)
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

The old Kumho Victoracer was a fine rain/ Inter.

I bought Ho Ho radial wets in 2007 and use them maybe once or twice a year. I was told that would not chunk that they would just wear and become intermediates. I am very happy. I threw them on the car Memorial Day and grabbed the pole in a 7 car class. not bad for 6 year old tires. they have not worn much and are still fast.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I had a set of HoHo radial wets, and used them 2-3-4 times a season until they were less than 1/8" tread. At that point, they were miserably hard and didn't grip in the rain, but would overheat and get greasy the second the track started drying. I threw them away. (well sorta. they're sitting in the driveway waiting on the HOA inspector to drive by and leave me a nasty-gram...)

BFG also now offers a rain tire, which is an R-compound version of their KDW street tire. I don't plan on keeping the car long enough to need another set of rain tires, but if I do that will be my next option.
    http://www.philstireservice.com/bfgo...g-force-kdw-r/
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    BFG also now offers a rain tire, which is an R-compound version of their KDW street tire. I don't plan on keeping the car long enough to need another set of rain tires, but if I do that will be my next option.
    http://www.philstireservice.com/bfgo...g-force-kdw-r/
    Holy shit! $235 a tire for 205/15s... You can still get the Hoosier SM wets for around $170.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

If you can work with those 15 inch Miata tires, the Hoosier deal is great for not just Miatae.

Yes, definitely go with the SM tire if you can fit it on the car and have the right weight..
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

You can supposedly shave the Hoosier Wets and land-up with an Intermediate.

Yup. Don't try to wear them down to intermediate depth though. By that time, they're heat cycled to death and hard as rocks.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Toyo ra1 unshaved. Still good grip if it dries up.