Thread: What Wets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What Wets

For those not using Hoosier wets, what are folks using for rains/inters?

Rory

Full-tread (or shaved to 6/32) Toyo RA1s have generally been the poor man's alternative to Ho-Hos. Not as fast, but won't over-heat if the track dries out either.

That said, as one who has thus far resisted the urge to spend major coin on a set of tires I may use once a season, I generally just avoid racing the the rain whenever I can.

(Ironically, my only SCCA class win came last year on a track that was wet when we started the race, and was still damp with some puddles when we took the checker. Go figure...)
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

The old Kumho Victoracer was a fine rain/ Inter.

I bought Ho Ho radial wets in 2007 and use them maybe once or twice a year. I was told that would not chunk that they would just wear and become intermediates. I am very happy. I threw them on the car Memorial Day and grabbed the pole in a 7 car class. not bad for 6 year old tires. they have not worn much and are still fast.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I had a set of HoHo radial wets, and used them 2-3-4 times a season until they were less than 1/8" tread. At that point, they were miserably hard and didn't grip in the rain, but would overheat and get greasy the second the track started drying. I threw them away. (well sorta. they're sitting in the driveway waiting on the HOA inspector to drive by and leave me a nasty-gram...)

BFG also now offers a rain tire, which is an R-compound version of their KDW street tire. I don't plan on keeping the car long enough to need another set of rain tires, but if I do that will be my next option.
    http://www.philstireservice.com/bfgo...g-force-kdw-r/
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    BFG also now offers a rain tire, which is an R-compound version of their KDW street tire. I don't plan on keeping the car long enough to need another set of rain tires, but if I do that will be my next option.
    http://www.philstireservice.com/bfgo...g-force-kdw-r/
    Holy shit! $235 a tire for 205/15s... You can still get the Hoosier SM wets for around $170.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5