Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SCCA Regions across the north east band together to include ITEZ class.

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    somewhere the original rules limited performance to be no greater than ITA...
    Never saw that. I remember it was originally discussed as a "guideline", subject to steward's discretion*...but an entry is an entry, especially when there's zero competition for that wine glass.

GA

* One of the baseline goals of ITEZ was to get slow-ass cars out of Big Bore. Remember, Chump and LeMons fit the letter of the ITE rules...but are typically slow as shit and ugly as sin. Well, my sins, anyway...

actually Jerry I believe you are thinking of the Club Racing Experience rules. The ITEZ rules are:

2014 New England Region Rules

Improved Touring – EZ

The purpose of IT‐EZ is to create a regional class where cars built for ChumpCar or Lemons racing, or for cars that could be ITE legal but do not belong in the fast race group, to have a place to race on an SCCA Regional race weekend. As opposed to any other class of SCCA road racing, IT‐EZ competition is designed as a “fun run” class, without any promise of intent of performance equitability. IT‐EZ is designed to provide a way for drivers to earn an SCCA racing license and race in regional competition, with the absolute lowest cost vehicle. In no way will any waivers be considered or granted in areas regarding safety of vehicle or driver.

IT‐EZ vehicles may race with prior accident damage, as long as that prior damage does not create a danger to the driver of that vehicle or fellow competitors.
    Non‐functional additions to vehicles, whose primary purpose is to express creativity, theme, are allowed only if do not create a potential safety hazard to the driver or fellow competitors

IT‐EZ eligible vehicles
    Must be a “mass produced,” gas or diesel powered, four wheel passenger car.
    Minimum weight of 1800 pounds and a maximum weight of 4000 pounds and a production‐based engine.
    Tires must conform to applicable Improved Touring rules, i.e., must be DOT rated tires, and sizes must be consistent with allowable dimensions per the GCR. 190 wear‐dated tires are not mandated, but they may be used if the racer prefers.
    Preparation regarding brakes, suspension, and engine must meet either Chumpcar rules or SCCA Improved Touring rules

while that BMW likely would have been okay in big bore since the group it was in included ITS and ITR they were pretty similar.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

just a question to throw out there, I know the weekend of LRP with the ITEZ bimmer was fast and not in the way of the rest of the race group oh wait he was really fast! OK so my question is if we end up with some really slow ITEZ cars is there a way we can split them into a more speed oriented race group? As it is we have to race with ITB cars HEHEHE! Just kidding I always like racing in ITB but ITR/S is fun too! My biggest concern is closing speeds with some of the slower ITEZ cars. And some of the ITEZ drivers may not have a ton of time on a track with much faster cars. Im not trying to be "the big dog on the track" just thinking about safety for all partys. If im out of line please tell me and ill keep my mouth shut. I just dont like to visit with TGA with paperwork in hand.
    2010 NERRC ITB Champion
    2012 NERRC ITS 3rd place
    2013 NERRC ITS 2nd

absolutely we can. first of all the original idea was to give the stewards the power to decide if a car should really be in ITE rather than ITEZ. second we can easily create sub classes if cars show up that are quite different. Ian's car was not what we expected but given the race group they were in the quality of the driver it was not a real big deal. the Mustang that ran at Thompson was more of what we are expecting. we will watch the class closely and adjust as needed. the important part is to make them welcome.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

So, what would be the difference between ITE and ITEZ?
    other than ITE awards trophies........
    A guy in a Spec Miata can remove his restrictor and run ITEZ for track time??
    Jerry
    NER South

"The [ITEZ] rule set adopted is designed to allow any car that meets Improved Touring safety rules a place to race. In other word there are no illegal cars."

"The purpose of the ITE class is to allow vehicles from other professional race series, Pro-Rally, Showroom Stock (those not otherwise eligible for IT or SS) and equivalent marque club classes to compete at a regional level."

A guy in a Spec Miata can remove his restrictor and run ITEZ for track time??
    Yes! In fact, that's a very, very good thing, because I'm hearing that we're getting very low on race groups that Spec Miatas are compliant to run to! In addition, I think any Spec Miata would be right proud to be able to win a Regional championship in a class designed for Chumps!

And don't forget to remove that plate; you wouldn't want to get beat by a Lemons! You'd never hear the end of the ribbing from your fellow drivers!

GA

other than ITE awards trophies........
    well lets go back and review the statement of intent in the rule set. just because people can find ways to pervert that intent does not mean ot is not worth doing.

The purpose of ITEZ is to create a regional class where cars built for ChumpCar or Lemons racing, or for cars that could be ITE legal but do not belong in the fast race group, to have a place to race on an SCCA Regional race weekend. As opposed to any other class of SCCA road racing, ITEZ competition is designed as a “fun run” class, without any promise of intent of performance equitability. ITEZ is designed to provide a way for drivers to earn an SCCA racing license and race in regional competition, with the absolute lowest cost vehicle. In no way will any waivers be considered or granted in areas regarding safety of vehicle or driver.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7