Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May Prelim question/comment.. Nissan SR20DET in STU

How can it be a year late? It was approved a month after it was requested.

Oh, you want the club to pre-emptively know exactly what everyone wants to race and pre-approve it in advance? What are you, my wife...?

You should pre-emptively remove that -2mm restrictor and then choke it if it becomes an overdog. The cat's already out of the bag with the USDM turbo engines and the NA guys are scrambling to keep up. Put the JDM turbo engines in the same boat so we're all on the same playing field.

For that matter, I'd also like to see some of the RWD/AWD penalty removed too since it sucks to watch an FWD car pull you out of the corner and get just far enough in front of you that you can't attempt to outbrake them. If the RWD cars are supposed to handle better, then they need a chance to be able to do it. It's like the whole DOT/slicks gripe when those classes are paired together on track, except now it's within the same class. pretty damn frustrating to get beat by a poor handling or poorly driven car simply because they have more motor.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    crusty old farts. Just cause it's not "from here" means it gets a penalty?
    Might as well go drive my Chevy to the levee.. But I can't.. it's broken and I'm waiting on parts from Mexico.
    LOL - ST is pretty much the only place you can race a non-USDM engine/chassis in the SCCA, and this just changed a year ago. Crusty? Hell no, we're ahead of the curve!

please correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the SR16VE been allowed in GT for a number of years?

the crusty-comment I believe come from the "gah!!! furrin enjun!! throw lead at it!!!" part, which outside of very specific equipment is unjustified and the result of fear. I think everyone is relieved to see the gates opening, and the penalty weight for the ITR and 20V 4AGE kinda seemed to make sense a little, given the ITR's previous restriction and the uniqueness of the 20V (and it's longblock components) but it's pretty bittersweet when such a penalty gets slapped on USDM equivalent engines like the B16 just because it's JDM.

In addition to that, the lead is being thrown at 20 yr old technology. Nissan quit making the SR in '02, which the latest version went into production in that trim '99, which means it was designed in the mid 90s... But hey, that's still new for these guys!

In the end, physics is still physics. You can only suck so many CFM of air through a restrictor of a certain size, doesn't matter if it's 'Murican, Japanese, German, or Italian in origin..
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 05-12-2014 at 02:27 PM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7