Thread: May Prelim question/comment.. Nissan SR20DET in STU

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default May Prelim question/comment.. Nissan SR20DET in STU

Have been contemplating this request for a long time, as Greg and Peter can attest, then I chicken out on doing anything to this car and spend the money on my Prod car.

I'm glad to see this one on the Prelim notes, however I'm curious why there's a -2mm restrictor limitation on there? Is this in addition to the -2mm that's already there for the RWD cars? (Any chance for a +1mm or 2.5% weight given back for a RWD car with McStrut? )

Why choke the SR20DET any more than other turbos? Is this just a "cautionary" thing that is subject to update once the powertrain is seen in action, or has there been a proven case that this would create an overdog vs. something like the Solstices that pull away from everything in sight?
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

'Cause JDM. CRB is tacking adders onto anything non-USDM now; turbos get -2mm and everything else gets +2% weight.

If someone got serious and built one and demonstrated it was not an overdog then I'm confident the CRB would entertain appropriate adjustments.

crusty old farts. Just cause it's not "from here" means it gets a penalty?
    Might as well go drive my Chevy to the levee.. But I can't.. it's broken and I'm waiting on parts from Mexico.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Crusty old farts is us, brother... Build it, or get someone else to build it. We got it in, we can make it right.

You and your funny Furr'in cars. Meanwhile I drive and race cars built in South Carolina.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

yea grumpy old guys, after all JDM engines are propelling race cars us motors are not willing to do.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Crusty old farts is us, brother... Build it, or get someone else to build it. We got it in, we can make it right.
    I'm trying to see how many people I can piss off first..
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Does anyone know which SR20DET motor they are trying to get approved for STU.
    Hammer
    CFR
    ITA Nissan 240sx #56
    2009 Nissan GTR
    2010 Nismo 370z
    http://www.ReedNissan.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    crusty old farts. Just cause it's not "from here" means it gets a penalty?
    Might as well go drive my Chevy to the levee.. But I can't.. it's broken and I'm waiting on parts from Mexico.
    LOL - ST is pretty much the only place you can race a non-USDM engine/chassis in the SCCA, and this just changed a year ago. Crusty? Hell no, we're ahead of the curve!

please correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the SR16VE been allowed in GT for a number of years?

the crusty-comment I believe come from the "gah!!! furrin enjun!! throw lead at it!!!" part, which outside of very specific equipment is unjustified and the result of fear. I think everyone is relieved to see the gates opening, and the penalty weight for the ITR and 20V 4AGE kinda seemed to make sense a little, given the ITR's previous restriction and the uniqueness of the 20V (and it's longblock components) but it's pretty bittersweet when such a penalty gets slapped on USDM equivalent engines like the B16 just because it's JDM.

In addition to that, the lead is being thrown at 20 yr old technology. Nissan quit making the SR in '02, which the latest version went into production in that trim '99, which means it was designed in the mid 90s... But hey, that's still new for these guys!

In the end, physics is still physics. You can only suck so many CFM of air through a restrictor of a certain size, doesn't matter if it's 'Murican, Japanese, German, or Italian in origin..
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 05-12-2014 at 02:27 PM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7