Thread: Road Atlanta

Default Road Atlanta

I'm trying to plan out my racing schedule for this year and need to fit it in with a lot of work travel. Work permitting, I think that I'll probably hit the usual front-loaded SE schedule races - CMP, RRR, VIR, CMP, then I want to branch out and try Road Atlanta in July. If I can manage to make that event, my wife and daughter would come with me so they could visit friends in Atlanta. At CMP/RRR/VIR, I generally roll in and don't leave the track for the entire weekend. Would that be possible at RA? Reason being, I'd like to park the trailer, unhitch, and then my family could take the truck for the weekend leaving me at the track.

I doubt I'll run the SIC this year since it is at Dayonta meaning a long haul for a single race, plus, I don't think the car would do well there. So if I don't do the SIC then maybe I could use that money/time to run the RA ARRC race + enduro in October even though it's on Halloween. Same question, anything change at the ARRC race with respect to staying at the track for the entire event?
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 03-23-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Ron, I usually don't leave once I arrive at RA. If I do, it is with someone else to run into town for food or more beer. There is usually someone around that could run you "off site" if needed.

The Paddock Grill is not bad if you don't bring enough food and the rest of the facilities make it pretty easy to not leave until your racing is over.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

You can camp/cook at the track, no need to leave. Plus I should be there and should have my truck with me.

RA is a hoot, you'll like it.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    I doubt I'll run the SIC this year since it is at Dayonta meaning a long haul for a single race, plus, I don't think the car would do well there. So if I don't do the SIC then maybe I could use that money/time to run the RA ARRC race + enduro in October even though it's on Halloween. Same question, anything change at the ARRC race with respect to staying at the track for the entire event?
    Assuming you meant "charge" rather than "change", unlike some other tracks there is no additional cost if you want to stay at Road Atlanta all weekend. If you get there late you might need to be creative in getting shore power, but Atlanta Region does not collect an additional surcharge for those that hook up to electricity either.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Kummer View Post
    If you get there late you might need to be creative in getting shore power, but Atlanta Region does not collect an additional surcharge for those that hook up to electricity either.
    That's good to know - so electricity is sparse? Definitely will need electricity for the Road Africa event as it'll be hot.

No, I mean change. That is, all fundamental operations work the same for a normal race and the ARRC race?

There's shore power available on the skid pad. That's one level up from the swamp. I think the Carolina contingent likes the swamp, but a 100 foot extension cord might reach up the hill from there, if you are paddocked on the hill side.
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN

Camping logistics are the same regardless of the event weekend.

Power is available in many/most places around the paddock, just sometimes you might need a longer extension cord (or Siamese off your neighbor) to reach it. Since there is no extra charge to plug in, however, mooching off your buddy should be a no-brainer.
    Butch Kummer

Hey Butch... What about 30 amp service for RVs?
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

By the time this race comes around I should be living back in ATL. I hope you can make it. IMHO the skid pad is the best place to park - it's FLAT and plenty of power. Park against the hill below tech - it's pretty quiet. Steve not sure about 30A power. You must have a big fridge!
    timo

Quote Originally Posted by Parrish57 View Post
    Hey Butch... What about 30 amp service for RVs?
    There are a few spots with 30 amp service but the vast majority are less (15 amp?).
    Butch Kummer

Quote Originally Posted by timo944 View Post
    By the time this race comes around I should be living back in ATL. I hope you can make it. IMHO the skid pad is the best place to park - it's FLAT and plenty of power. Park against the hill below tech - it's pretty quiet. Steve not sure about 30A power. You must have a big fridge!
    Will you be rejoining us at the shop once you move back?
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Thanks Butch! I had fun last year at RA! I will try to make the July event as well... I'll bring the 30 amp fridge full of frosty beverages!
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Smith View Post
    Will you be rejoining us at the shop once you move back?
    Probably so, at least short term. I have 3 cars plus a truck and trialer to store somewhere. I can store the 3 cars there. And yes, they do all run (surprised?). I've been in touch with Jeff.
    timo

I have my trailer stored at nearby Brookhaven Self Storage. They aren't cheap but it's close and secure. There is also another self storage place that takes trailers on the north side of the Marta station.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Good to know Tristan. I will probably need some temporary storasge but the goal is to store the trailer wherever we end up buying.
    timo