Thread: Road Atlanta Camping advice

Default Road Atlanta Camping advice

I'm getting excited for our first trip to Road Atlanta .. leaving in two days and making a few stops
    along the way. ... would like some advice on where to set up camp.

1. We have a short Class C RV, towing the racecar on an open trailer
    2. Our group (STL) will be gridded on the outside club paddock
    3. We have no interest in camping on asphalt with everyone close
    4. We don't need electrical hookup, we can run the gen periodically

Looking just at the map and aerial view, my choice would be in the area just inside the kink at Turn 9
    which would put me close to the tunnel and/or bridge to get to grid, and allow us to be near the woods
    and camped on grass ... is that a reasonable place? or should we go further up inside turns 6,7,8?

https://www.roadatlanta.com/track-info/track-map

http://www.roadatlanta.com/images/Ro...anta-large.jpg

TIA
    Glenn

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Practically anywhere in the infield is a good spot. The area around Turn 9 has a regular group of spectators that camp in that area, but there is a lot of room. The ground has a small amount of slope. A little further around the corner (going back towards Turn 5) there are more level spots. There is a fairly big level spot just before Turn 4. That's where a small group of flaggers (and the Series Chief Steward!) usually camp.
    Bob Hudson
    National Steward

If you want to stay on the "outside" paddock area, go past the tech shed,follow the road back to your left, through "The Swamp" and over the creek and you will see a small hill just off to your right. Follow the gravel road to your right. There is a large grassy area back in the trees.

This area is where Petit workers are provided camping. Some choose to stay up on the hill but I don't know that I would try to get a trailer up there. There "may" be some open trailers parked just after you cross the creek.

Have fun!

On Edit, I just looked at your second photo. You can see some campers back in the trees outside of turn 1. That is the area that they put the Petit workers. Keeps you on the same side as the tech shed and grid if that is what you choose.
    Last edited by pballance; 03-14-2014 at 11:05 AM.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown