Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: April 2014 Fastrack

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    will the listed VW EDM motor be getting a 2% bump, too?
    Not unless you ask for it...it snuck in before CRB started adding adders...

A GT2 EG Honda Civic HB with a K20A at 1830 lbs... interesting.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    If I were not on the STAC, I would recommend that you research the engine to the best of your ability to ensure its compliance to the specs as found in the workshop manual for the Honda B16A2 or A3 ('99 Civic Si, Del Sol.)

Then I'd suggest taking a grinder and grinding off the engine block identification such that there is no question (though its absence may cause some questions, to which you'll respond "let's toss some paper and measure some parts".)

But I am on the committee, so I probably shouldn't suggest that publicly...

GA
    What an awesome rule!!!! Now I have no visual evidence of what you claim is in the car and what your weight is based off of. I effectively have to throw paper and tear you down just to know. Ugh.

Edit: Make JDM stuff illegal unless approved on a spec line, period. Are JDM blocks that much easier to find or something? What's the point in sourcing something from overseas if it's the 'same' as the local sauce?
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 03-13-2014 at 02:55 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Are JDM blocks that much easier to find or something?
    Assembled, low mileage JDM motors which meet the USDM-spec rule and are compliant with the STL regs are plentiful in the US. Here's one example:

http://www.jspecauto.com/
    '92 Honda Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    Assembled, low mileage JDM motors which meet the USDM-spec rule and are compliant with the STL regs are plentiful in the US. Here's one example:

http://www.jspecauto.com/
    Are they cheaper and more 'available' than US spec units?
    Andy Bettencourt

To the extent that they are sold to swap, used as swaps, and often wind up in stillborn projects vs pulled from the few cars sold stateside with that engine, yeah, they are.

Are they cheaper and more 'available' than US spec units?
    More available yes. In better shape yes. Cheaper... maybe in the 3rd hand market. Chip is correct as well.
    '92 Honda Civic Si

Andy, we've already argumentated this, many times (see the link you quoted for the thread for the last time you complained about this). The number that's on the block is irrelevant, as it is absolutely no evidence of compliance, nor is it required on the block for it to be compliant.

If you think seeing the number stamped on the block is sufficient evidence that someone is not cheating in Super Touring - and Improved Touring, too, since it's the same exact reg - you're not using your imagination.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    To the extent that they are sold to swap, used as swaps, and often wind up in stillborn projects vs pulled from the few cars sold stateside with that engine, yeah, they are.
    I have seen swaps that were well cared for babies and others that were outright abortions.

But stillborn best describes the car I pulled mine from.....
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    More available yes. In better shape yes. Cheaper... maybe in the 3rd hand market. Chip is correct as well.
    OK, just trying to justify to myself that the JDM flow of some of these engines is a source that can actually benefit the average racer. If they are more plentiful, in better condition and in most cases cheaper than USDM products, then it is worth it to not single them out as problem children by their JDM designation, even if they are potentially the 'same' as their cousins.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Andy, we've already argumentated this, many times (see the link you quoted for the thread for the last time you complained about this). The number that's on the block is irrelevant, as it is absolutely no evidence of compliance, nor is it required on the block for it to be compliant.

If you think seeing the number stamped on the block is sufficient evidence that someone is not cheating in Super Touring - and Improved Touring, too, since it's the same exact reg - you're not using your imagination.

GA
    Of course that is not what I am saying. What I am saying is that in a class that is based in the cc's of the motor, fostering a 'need' of grinding off the identification numbers that tell people at the very least what that lump started life out as, is ridiculous. Help the competitors by specifically allowing non-USDM motors in the STCS that have been submitted and verified as 'equal' to their USDM counterparts.

And it's NOT the same reg. We have arguedmentotured that too. No place in the ITCS does it specifically disallow part 'X' but then say that if part 'X' is the same as part 'Y' it's legal. The ITCS says that both parts 'Y' AND anything exactly the same as part 'Y', are legal regardless of origin...certainly not necessitating the need to 'hide' the original origin. It may be symantics but I am hung up on it. So be it.
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 03-13-2014 at 05:53 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt

And it's NOT the same reg.
    Yes it is.

No place in the ITCS does it specifically disallow part 'X'...
    ITCS 9.1.3.A: "...cars will be models, as offered for sale in the United States."

...but then say that if part 'X' is the same as part 'Y' it's legal.
    ITCS 9.1.3.C: "Stock replacement parts may be obtained from sources other than the manufacturer provided they are the exact equivalent of the original parts."

And leaving the block number on doesn't make it non-compliant; grinding it off just stops the bitching.

Oh, wait a sec...
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 03-13-2014 at 09:23 PM.

So no shake up in B yet? Or did I miss something along the way?
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by CRallo View Post
    So no shake up in B yet? Or did I miss something along the way?
    you haven't missed anything. we've stopped the blockade on new classifications and "easy" corrections just to keep things moving, but the class-wide update is not complete.