Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April 2014 Fastrack

Default April 2014 Fastrack

The prelims are posted:

http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content.cfm?cid=44472

Please also review Racing Memo 14-06 located on the same web page.

looks like my car just gained 42.3 pounds.

Q. regarding the waving white flag for the last lap. How do they know if it is the last lap for a timed event? (thinking about the green after race was over for the SM group at Sebring).
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

When to show the "1 to Go" signal continues to be a collaborative effort involving Start, T&S, and the Operating Stewards. Procedures are in place and education is ongoing.

All we're doing here is defining a standard "1 to Go" signal for all SCCA events as being the same one that's used for every racing event in the world short of F-1.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Tom, which car?

Interesting: you "finish" if you take the green flag, but don't get points unless you go halfway...what was the drive for that change?

Edit: Tom, are you talking about the B16A engine in STL? That's a JDM engine. Are you not using a US-spec engine?
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 03-12-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Tom, which car?....
    sorry. STL. The B16A is now "Chart + 2%."

is a B16A considered the equivalent of a "mini" ITR?

#13514 (Edmond Lo) Japanese Engine swap
    In STL Table A, classify the Honda B16A as follows:
    STL
    Maximum Displacement
    Minimum Weight
    Notes
    Honda/Acura B16A
    Chart +2%
    Must meet all STL engine regulations

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    sorry. STL. The B16A is now "Chart + 2%."

is a B16A considered the equivalent of a "mini" ITR?
    See my edit above. The "B16A" engine is a JDM engine, which is now approved for STL with a +2% weight (which all JDM engines are now getting). Since you were running at the Runoffs last year, you could not have possibly been running a non-compliant JDM engine...I'm assuming you're running a US-spec engine.

GA

Since it is no different in STL prep, you would be a fool to claim a B16A vs. An A2 or 3. Stamping on the block is irrelevant So long as the part matches USDM specs.

Or am I missing something?

See my edit above. The "B16A" engine is a JDM engine, which is now approved for STL with a +2% weight (which all JDM engines are now getting). Since you were running at the Runoffs last year, you could not have possibly been running a non-compliant JDM engine...I'm assuming you're running a US-spec engine.

GA
    that's right!

i forgot that i bought a B16A block and had it overbored 1 mm and moved the rest of the B16A2 internals over to the freshened block!

whatever....

just curious why someone asked a question when we already had an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    Since it is no different in STL prep, you would be a fool to claim a B16A vs. An A2 or 3. Stamping on the block is irrelevant So long as the part matches USDM specs.
    I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of your premise.

just curious why someone asked a question when we already had an answer.
    Guess they never talked to Chip...

the frustrating part is if I submit something to get this straightened out and say "but they are the same in STL...." then it may result in the B16A2 getting a 2% adder as well.

is there a ST advisory committee? and if so, do they see these rules before the CRB rules on these rules?

First, I'm on the STAC. The STAC reviews and makes recommendations to the CRB.

Second, don't send in a request for clarification. It has already been discussed. Nothing will change.

Third, there is nothing to straighten out. All non-US-market engines are getting a 2% adder. The B16A is a non-US-market engine. Period, no debate. Thus, it gets a 2% adder.

Fourth, the STAC - and by extension, the CRB - cannot simply go on record and declare "hey, you can use this engine freely because it's exactly the same thing" because it would take about 1.32 nanoseconds before someone shows up with some wild-assed Portugese-only-spec engine and claims it's the same thing as the one that came in their Us market car.

Fifth, we've discussed this here before: the STCS - and even the ITCS - states, paraphrased, that alternate parts are allowed as long as they are duplicates of the original parts. So, make sure the parts are the same, to the satisfaction of your competitors and the Scrutineers. Just don't expect a carte-blanche CRB approval for your alternate parts, as you will not get it.

GA
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 03-12-2014 at 03:33 PM.

I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of your premise.

I can certainly confirm the existence of his premise ... but the accuracy of it???

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Quote Originally Posted by lawtonglenn View Post
    I can certainly confirm the existence of his premise ... but the accuracy of it???

You've been Glomar'd...

Greg,

Thanks for the clarification.

about all i really know about this motor is that it was an abandoned CRX swap project in a barn in southern Minnesota.

i dragged it out of some kid's grandfather's barn and onto Jabaay's borrowed trailer and gave the kid $1500 for the signed title. i sold the shell for $1100 and gave Jabaay $100 for helping me find the B16 and for pulling the motor and finding a buyer for the shell.

then i put it into my car the week before the runoffs. the whole alphabet soup of A vs. A2 vs. A3 and OBD0, OBDI, OBDII i am still trying to sort out. most of what i learned/forgot is from WIKI.

i am going to convert it to OBDI(?) so i will at least know what distributor to buy if i have a failure.

about all i really know about this motor is that it was an abandoned CRX swap project in a barn in southern Minnesota.
    If I were not on the STAC, I would recommend that you research the engine to the best of your ability to ensure its compliance to the specs as found in the workshop manual for the Honda B16A2 or A3 ('99 Civic Si, Del Sol.)

Then I'd suggest taking a grinder and grinding off the engine block identification such that there is no question (though its absence may cause some questions, to which you'll respond "let's toss some paper and measure some parts".)

But I am on the committee, so I probably shouldn't suggest that publicly...

GA

Tom, which car?

Interesting: you "finish" if you take the green flag, but don't get points unless you go halfway...what was the drive for that change?
    Still need to finish a certain # of races to keep your license?
    Need a number of finishes to get to the dumboffs?

The way I read it, they have simply renamed "starters" as "finishers", and renamed "DNF" as "doesn't get points". Not sure why they did it, but the obvious effect is that it is now easier to meet "number of finishes" requirements for things such as Runoffs qualification.

Its sort of like what happened to SARRC a few years back where the requirement for running the SIC was changed from 3 finishes to 3 starts. The given reason was to not penalize those who supported the series but had the misfortune to drop out.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?

looks like my car just gained 42.3 pounds.

Q. regarding the waving white flag for the last lap. How do they know if it is the last lap for a timed event? (thinking about the green after race was over for the SM group at Sebring).
    So if Start/Finish waves the white flag for the last lap, how do you know that it's not for a slow car/tow/fire on track? Or said another way, what does Start/Finish wave for a slow car/tow/fire on course on the second to last lap. You could get two white flags at S/F in a row with two different meanings, talk about confusing and causing a protest.

I prefer the simple [1] sign as there's no other meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    So if Start/Finish waves the white flag for the last lap, how do you know that it's not for a slow car/tow/fire on track? Or said another way, what does Start/Finish wave for a slow car/tow/fire on course on the second to last lap. You could get two white flags at S/F in a row with two different meanings, talk about confusing and causing a protest.

I prefer the simple [1] sign as there's no other meaning.
    Flag for a slow car isn't waved. It is simply displayed.

Greg,

Thanks for the clarification.

i dragged it out of some kid's grandfather's barn and onto Jabaay's borrowed trailer and gave the kid $1500 for the signed title. i sold the shell for $1100 and gave Jabaay $100 for helping me find the B16 and for pulling the motor and finding a buyer for the shell.

then i put it into my car the week before the runoffs. the whole alphabet soup of A vs. A2 vs. A3 and OBD0, OBDI, OBDII i am still trying to sort out. most of what i learned/forgot is from WIKI.

i am going to convert it to OBDI(?) so i will at least know what distributor to buy if i have a failure.
    tom - if you have the old B16A intake, the one that looks like a ~93 integra's with a PGM-FI badge on it, that will have to go in favor of a A2 or A3 manifold, which should be better anyhow. to the best of my knowledge, the motors are otherwise identical in all STCS relevant ways.

and tGA - I'm not trying to be a pain, just kinda scratching my head here. will the listed VW EDM motor be getting a 2% bump, too?