The RST "gang" has a lot of vehicles to tow with from a crew members small regular cab F150 to my brothers F350 super cab dually... If we don't like those options we have my 38' motor home with cat pusher and bump out sides or even Tim's new (used) Peterbilt tractor. Ray (Dad) also has a newer Dodge Durango that he tows an open trailer with.

I (Raymond) however have never had a tow vehicle... That may change! Last Friday someone rear ended me at a significant speed and may have totaled my car (waiting for estimate). Since we bought Rob's BMW wagon for my wife last year, the wife has given me the green light to get a truck or SUV if the Honda is totaled. Budget isn't that high though with one car payment, a mortgage and son in daycare. I am looking at something between $10,000 - $15,000.

This is probably a similar budget to a newer racer or one with a family looking to replace a tow vehicle so I figured I would post her for discussion... Building a race car is nothing compared to what it could cost you just to get to the track!

For me, I want something somewhat nice as it will be my daily short commute driver (remember I am replacing my current car). I plan to have the family in it once in a while to go to daycare, out to dinner, or camping so it needs to be a four door (Crew Cab or SUV). I know it wont be new, but I am not looking for an old clunker.

Quick internet searches show that there are some options for 100,000 mile and up vehicles from 2005 - 2010. I am leaning my searches towards nicer F150's or lower model F250's but I just started looking at some of the SUV options like a Yukon... that really has me wondering what is best???

• The F150 (or similar) is a hugely popular truck so they are a dime a dozen, parts should be cheaper for them. A Crew Cab has four doors and are a lot nicer than they used to be. Plenty of room for the family of four, plus the dog, but it is limited on towing capacity.
  • An F250 or similar would be nice as it would tow without any issues and you can even hook up a bigger enclosed trailer or other heavier loads. However the truck overall would not be as nice as a smaller one for the same price.
  • An SUV would be nice as the entire family could ride in style. They are much nicer inside and provide a lot more "comfort" for daily driving. Stuff would also stay dry when it rains at the track. Obviously you have to be more "gentile" to keep it nice, you cant just toss the tires in the pick-up bed.

So what are your recommendations for a racer who has to keep his family in mind when trying to also make it to the track on their own?

thanks for the advice

Raymond "becoming more independent from my twin every year!" Blethen