Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Order of cars going out for qualifying

Default reserved paddock areas

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    After we get this pressing issue sorted out, I'd really like the group to give some serious thought to the problem of reserved paddock areas. It's so stressful to arrive at the track without knowing in advance where I'm going to be paddocked. Perhaps a system based on years in the sport and/or age of the driver and proximity to the men's room (or latrine in the case of Nelson Ledges).

The method of lining up on the road with trucks and trailers and having an "Oklahoma Land Rush" when the gaits are opened just doesn't seem safe...tho it does provide a way of getting rid of Miatae without damaging my race car.
    Ed, WDCR club racing uses a reserved area paddock map that is part of every supps package. No land rush, per say, everyone knows where to go. Prod and IT are next to the restrooms and grid!

It should be noted that Steve paddocks with Bret and the RP Performance group, who somehow manages to pack about 17 cars in the space others require for just two or three.

The rest of the DC regulars have paddock spots that many have been using for years, but they are always welcoming to strangers. We used to park with the SM field until we got tired of camping in Lake Summit Point and now tend to park up front near the ITA crowd, who has always been friendly and accommodating. Most of the ITB guys are out in the woods where they can't hurt anybody, the GT Pintos are off in a corner where they can't scare anybody off, the open wheel and SRF folks tend to park on the pavement near the IT7s (I guess they are deaf enough to sleep through that noise), and then there's always the Free Turn Five crowd...
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

P.S. and to be honest, pre-arranged parking is not a terrible idea, thanks for bringing it up...
    At some of the Labor Day MARRS events I've attended where there were over 300 entrants, it was nice. "Fortunately" we don't have that issue in the N.E. lately.
    So you'll be taking care of it then. Sounds like the problem is solved - Dave's going to cover it. See you at grid.
    I've never had an issue with stepping up, have you? IF it were a concept that my run group were interested in trying, I wouldn't have an issue helping to cover it.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckerboy View Post
    Most of the ITB guys are out in the woods where they can't hurt anybody
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

Paddock space or early grid are never a problem at NHMS, but how would Dave know?
    One trip/event a year at LRP for NER and no one complaining, well accept for one!
    hardly requires a new rule
    and....Thompson is an unknown right now!
    Jerry
    NER South

I do hate NHMS! LOL

I also never said paddock space is an issue in the N.E.

How was my first post complaining? Merely an idea to discuss something other regions do to determing if regions running races at LRP and other tracks could benefit from this. And I'm not the only one here who likes what the WDCR does. That's fine that many think it isn't a good idea and is a part of this discussion.

And yes, people do complain about this at the track. Absolutely. Not a huge deal to me but it would be one additional item which could reduce stress even just a bit on a race weekend.
    Dave Gran

SEDiv tracks this matters a lot. You go out first in a tight group at CMP or Roebling or VIR and you are likely to ensure the all important first few clean laps on HoHos.

So yeah, we "fight" for pole position in qualifying by lining up early. Basically when the group before you GOES to grid, you go line up outside teh grid.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

We should do it in reverse order of lap times, like Driver's School. Actually, there's no spectating at Summit T1 anymore, so nevermind...

Seriously though-
    One of the issues I had at Labor Day last year was the ITS/ITB gridded by MARRS points. I had run previously in the year and gotten a 2nd and a 3rd, so I figured I'd be in good shape. Apparently though, my points were never counted, so it didn't help me. Combine that with the fact that my car # is 96 (I think that's how they ordered the no-points crowd), and I was near the back. Keep in mind, the real problem here was not the methodology, but the implementation. Also, I guess if I'd have been more vigilant, I'd have noticed that my points weren't on the list (though I swear that they were at one point).

Aside from that one incident, I'm mostly in favor of it. It's certainly much better than the mad rush I experienced at MidO at ITFest a few years back.
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Matt, your points may or may not have actually been there at various points last year. I know that I had to contact Heidi two or three times to get my points corrected. Each time she was gracious and and corrected things quickly. I don't know what issue they were experiencing last year with points, but I seemed to fall into some sort of (uncharacteristic) black hole in their registration system as well.

Two or three times my registration was so spectacularly hosed that it took Gail to straighten it out. It got to the point where she would see me coming and just tell somebody to "register him how he tells you to do so, I'll fix it later." Not to knock the fine folks in Registration - in fact, just the opposite. I am certain my issues were in the minority, and the people there worked quickly and efficiently to resolve them each time, after time, after time, after time...

That's one of those things that keeps me racing with WDCR. Unlike other regions in my recent experience, they know customer service. Problems are few and far between, and when they do crop up the path to resolution clear. And the drivers (I hope) appreciate how good we have it.

Rob, who knows he has just invoked Mr. Murphy in a large way.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Also GLD bitching, but last year we had an occurrence where we lined up along the road waiting to get to the false grid. The group before us pulled out and just before the false grid was opened a group of about 5 Miatas just drove by us to the front. Pre-grid opens and in they go. But what are you going to do, protest someone for passing in the paddock?

Seems like about 1 out of 5 races there is at least modest discomfort in pre-grid about qualifying order.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyRacer View Post
    One of the issues I had at Labor Day last year was the ITS/ITB gridded by MARRS points. I had run previously in the year and gotten a 2nd and a 3rd, so I figured I'd be in good shape. Apparently though, my points were never counted, so it didn't help me. Combine that with the fact that my car # is 96 (I think that's how they ordered the no-points crowd), and I was near the back.
    I put in a special request to have you put in the back... Cost me $50. Now THAT'S customer service!

Art Jaso
    DC Region SCCA
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C

Quote Originally Posted by ajmr2 View Post
    I put in a special request to have you put in the back... Cost me $50. Now THAT'S customer service!

I wish you'd have told me. I'd have gone to the back on my own for $25...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

I'll take up a collection next time and don't forget your MARRS stickers.
    Art Jaso
    DC Region SCCA
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C

Wow - 3 pages in a day on the "race" to get into the race. You can tell it's been a long winter.

Having raced in WDCR I can say having a procedure is great in taking the uncertainty out of the process but it did have it's downside. Notably out of region guys (or those that only make the trip a couple times a year like me) get consistently shuffled to the back and it's one of the reasons I don't race there anymore. I expect the same would happen in NEDIV where people from outside the division would not find any system to be particularly fair.

Second, maybe it's me but I've never had a problem making it into the front of the group in NEDIV just by getting in a driving up after 2nd call. My position on grid for qualifying is less of a concern than the people that block the track on the out lap. I'm more of a heat up the tires by putting them under real load kind of guy. If you want to spend half of the track weaving side to side please keep an eye on your mirrors to make sure you aren't holding people up.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I like what MARRS does - a lot. It avoids congestion before the grid and allows reduction in stress in trying to fight for a preferred spot on the grid.

Can someone obtain their procedures? Maybe it's something we can discuss here in NER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckerboy View Post
    MARRS has done it both by points and by (historical) times. I believe the process is chosen by the individual class reps, and not by sweeping edict, thus each run group may differ. Reach out to Dave Parker and/or Matt Yip for details.
    WDCR MARRS event pre-grid for the first qual session each weekend is entirely up to the desires of the individual run group. the drivers reps in that group tell grid how they want to be set up at the beginning of the season. options used include, but are not limited to:

random (small bore)

random by class (this is how ITS/ITB does it. fast class in front)

fastest lap time of the season to date (big bore)

MARRS points to date (miata?)

no matter what group you are in, the lack of a pre-grid traffic jam is wonderful.

MARRS has used a reserved paddock area process for many years at summit point (I am the guy that does the reservation map). the amount of space a class gets is based on the average participation of the class in the previous years races. out-of-towners are welcome! as it says in the supps, just call the drivers rep of the group you are in a week or so before the race, tell them what you have for car/trailer and they will try to find you space either in the reserved area for their class or nearby if possible. we routinely "trade" space with adjacent classes as need be.

the goals of both grid and paddock space processes are to reduce stress and chaos on race weekends. more focus on FUN!

Marshall
    ex-ITR, now ITS/STU
    Last edited by mlytle; 03-04-2014 at 09:16 PM.

I think that now Dave is in ITA, he's a little worried he's gonna lose the race to grid for qualifying!

I am one of those that likes to be out in the front for qualifying. Many times you can get 3 plus laps of clear track. And I've never seen it congested or heard anyone complain. But I've NEVER blocked anyone on the out lap and have NEVER seen that happen except at the first IT Fest race at Mid Ohio. Apparently there was an unspoken rule about the regulars there dictating the out lap pace......... but it would have been nice if they let the rest of the grid know........... it created some VERY dangerous situations.......

Hmmmmmmm, isnt there some video of qualifying at the Run Offs where there was an incident <he says, stirring the pot>

I dont see it as a problem in NER......... But maybe because 3/4 of the ITA/IT7 group are a bunch of slackers and can barely get to grid before the one minute................. Man, I crack myself up!!

I cant wait for the season to start...........

Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Not too worried buddy, the Kessler engine is coming along nicely!!! I figure the easiest way is just to paddock near you and when you start getting ready, I'll know it's time.

But yes, looking forward to the race season! I am glad it's still a bit off for me to get some funds together.
    Dave Gran

To be clear, if a session is released under the green - as opposed to being FCY for the "first lap" - I'ma gonna be passin' some folks up in heah.

K

In SEDIV they are generally shown a white flag on the out lap....react accordingly, but if you are the first 5 or so cars and take it easy for half a lap, you get the couple of clean laps needed.
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    To be clear, if a session is released under the green - as opposed to being FCY for the "first lap" - I'ma gonna be passin' some folks up in heah.

K
    You mean you think you are going to pass some folks. I'll dig up my video. You tell me if you'd have not backed down. I have no idea why I didn't throw paper.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.