Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MyLAPS SURVEY

Default MyLAPS SURVEY

Who got the Survey? (New transponder design)

Copy/Paste...? What are they changing? Will it be cheaper? Will old equipment be compatible?

It's a new transponder design:

http://www.mylaps.com/en/timing-systems/x2/721

Based on the questions, they're considering making it a subscription model only. The transponder has a sort of security key on it that you have to plug into your USB port to authorize.

More bad news, IMHO.
    #08 ITA/STL Miata

MYLAPS X2 - The future of racing.
    View in browser

Dear ________________
    This year we will introduce the new X2 transponder, which will be a substitute for the current rechargeable and direct power car/bike transponder. The X2 transponder has a complete new design and will offer you more than lap times in the future.

We would like to receive feedback on the concept and learn how we can improve the transponder. Therefore we would like to ask you to fill out a short survey. The survey should take about 10-15 minutes of your time and can be accessed by clicking on the link below:

Quote Originally Posted by jwasilko View Post
    Based on the questions, they're considering making it a subscription model only.
    Yeah, f u.

Looks like my couple of existing ones just jumped in value. And it's WELL past time for a value-priced open-source solution.

Holy hell these companies catering to racers just think we're an endless fountain of money...

GA

Answer to Q7: If your web site were as easy to search as the previous one, I would be very satisfied with the current.
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    answer to q7: If your web site were as easy to search as the previous one, i would be very satisfied with the current.
    lol -> rofl

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Yeah, f u.

Looks like my couple of existing ones just jumped in value. And it's WELL past time for a value-priced open-source solution.

Holy hell these companies catering to racers just think we're an endless fountain of money...

GA
    this.^^^...$500 transponder is ridiculous....i can only imagine how much this new one will be.
    Jason Carroll - NER IT7 #07

The new TRANSPONDER will be cheaper. But it'll cost you $75/year to use it.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    The new TRANSPONDER will be cheaper. But it'll cost you $75/year to use it.
    How can that possibly be enforced? Will it still register a hit across the line? If not, why not?

Are you going to have to remove the device from the car every year to "re-register" its functions online? If so, I'm guessing 32 microseconds before someone hacks that.

Or is the $75 just a fee to get access to your data online? If that's the case, this company values its online "services" way too much and has no effin clue about its user base. It should be paying me $75 to give a sh*t.

GA

go read the survey information- answers all your questions.

Cliff's Notes: USB-based dongle is loaded with subscription key and communicates with transponder. The transponder itself has an internal clock that stops working at XXX date unless the key is renewed.

It's a way for them to force people to continue to pay for transponder vs. a single one-time hit. Forcing themselves into a constant income stream- capitalism, baby!
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    go read the survey information- answers all your questions.
    Never got a survey.

Time for a change. With them now trying to get $75/person/year - for every org that uses AMB transponders - there will be a wave of capital available for anyone willing to purse a more open-source model. If I had the electronics and coding background I'd be burning up my Internet connection setting up a Kickstarter account.

Someone will. You can count on it.

GA

Never got a survey.

Time for a change. With them now trying to get $75/person/year - for every org that uses AMB transponders - there will be a wave of capital available for anyone willing to purse a more open-source model. If I had the electronics and coding background I'd be burning up my Internet connection setting up a Kickstarter account.

Someone will. You can count on it.

GA
    This forum needs a "like" button for these kind of moments. While I'm not positive someone will take on the open source challenge that tGA suggests I am sincerely hoping it comes to pass. The market is definitely in need of some competition and this isn't rocket science.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Competition: http://www.raceceiver.com/Drivers/sh...iming&scoring/

$200 for a hardwired transponder beats $480 or a subscription based service.

Is it compatible with all the existing systems?

Greg ... here is the link to the survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/X2transponder

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Is it compatible with all the existing systems?
    I don't know. We're looking for ways of doing timing for Club Trials for my local SCCA region and are finding the costs of MyLaps/AMB transponders to be a major barrier.

left them a comment in the survey:

subscription models change a large one time cost for what you hope is a more palatable ongoing cost. Amateur racers are not stupid - you can't be stupid, nor lazy, and have the funds needed to play in this sandbox. your company is already the focus of much anger among the SCCA, NASA, etc... communities. your pricing has always been at issue and your recent website "upgrade" was not the PR you wanted. this move will end your monopoly and I suggest you reconsider your intended position.

^^^ Virtually identical to what I just left them, using words like "competition" and "monopoly" and 'we are not stupid'.

This company was teetering on the edge with the racing community. They've overplayed their hand. Methinks they just pushed us right over the cliff...

I've sent Raceiver an email, asking if their stuff is compatible with existing systems. I may also consider just buying one to see for myself.

GA