Thread: MyLAPS SURVEY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Competition: http://www.raceceiver.com/Drivers/sh...iming&scoring/

$200 for a hardwired transponder beats $480 or a subscription based service.

Is it compatible with all the existing systems?

Greg ... here is the link to the survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/X2transponder

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Is it compatible with all the existing systems?
    I don't know. We're looking for ways of doing timing for Club Trials for my local SCCA region and are finding the costs of MyLaps/AMB transponders to be a major barrier.

left them a comment in the survey:

subscription models change a large one time cost for what you hope is a more palatable ongoing cost. Amateur racers are not stupid - you can't be stupid, nor lazy, and have the funds needed to play in this sandbox. your company is already the focus of much anger among the SCCA, NASA, etc... communities. your pricing has always been at issue and your recent website "upgrade" was not the PR you wanted. this move will end your monopoly and I suggest you reconsider your intended position.

^^^ Virtually identical to what I just left them, using words like "competition" and "monopoly" and 'we are not stupid'.

This company was teetering on the edge with the racing community. They've overplayed their hand. Methinks they just pushed us right over the cliff...

I've sent Raceiver an email, asking if their stuff is compatible with existing systems. I may also consider just buying one to see for myself.

GA

scca should also step in as this is becoming another barrier to entry or is at least a perceived barrier.

In the last couple of seasons, my transponder has seen service in 3 different cars.

The transponder cost is already at a point that folks are lending/borrowing them. The one downside is if you want to be in the same race group as your friends.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Filled that survey out and let them have it. I'm not interested in a subscription based transponder.

What they should have done is kept the old unit and charged racers a modest yearly fee for access to data on the Mylaps.com website. That is, if they can get the website to work. I haven't been on it since it swapped over a couple years back and was essentially non-functional.