Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
Are 'pickup points' a part of "the formula"...?
Of course not but it strikes me that if the suspension design were substantially different (I don't actually know), then it's a place where update/backdate might become problematic.

My bias reflects what our resident ITAC members are saying about update/backdate in general. As we've gradually tried to get more repeatable and transparent in practices over the years, the sloppy lumping of cars onto spec lines becomes an increasingly problematic situation. I started to type up a response about the ITB Mustangs the other day, too, but decided I'd leave that to the guys who really have to deal with it.

That something has been loosey goosey in the past should NEVER be a de facto reason for continuing the practice with new additions.

Another example to chew on. The MkIII Golf came with the "alternate" gear ratios (which, though a spurious CA-only anomaly, do seem to be a pretty handy advantage on the track). The MkIII Jetta was never shown in any documentation we could find as having benefited as-delivered from that spec. Since it's a first principle that update/backdate is allowed just within a spec line, and the "stuff that matters" to set the IT weight is otherwise identical for both cars, what should be done?

Again, I'm inclined toward being more conservative which is - I think - the logic behind this decision on the RX8.

K