Thread: Ballast Location and types

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up Ballast Location and types

Hello Guys:
    Could you guys post pictures of the ballasts normally used and it's location as well as the unusual ones. If any chance you have pictures of non allowed ballast that would be great as well.

Thanks,
    Efrain N Alers
    Nativo Performance
    787-635-9546
    https://improvedtouring.coms/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12013&dateline=120412  5665

One of my favorite subjects.

In this photo of an unnamed ITB car, there is 50 lbs of illegal ballast. Hint - it's not the 22 gallon fuel cell, nor anything in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

The spare tire (which may be removed) only weighs 50lbs? You folks in MiDiv aren't trying hard enough.

Regardless, the ST ballast rules are considerably different than IT.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    The spare tire (which may be removed) only weighs 50lbs? You folks in MiDiv aren't trying hard enough.
    Be careful...I've had Tech ask me to remove my spare a few times, just to check for water and/or concrete. It didn't bounce when he tried (no pressure) but there was air inside...

Queue IT nerd discussions regarding "air" being freely replaced with something else...like nitrogen. Or water. Or concrete. Review "unintended function" reg first, please... - GA

That ballast certainly isn't secured properly.

Quote Originally Posted by OUBob View Post
    The spare? If that's the way it came from the factory, then it's compliant to the regs even if it's just an 1/8" bolt. Not smart, but compliant because technically it's not "ballast", it's the spare that's allowed to remain.

When I chose to leave the spare in my ITA car I added a 1/2" bolt through one of the wheel holes to tie it through the floor. After arguing with a scrutineer regarding leaving the spare in (he eventually concurred that it's allowed) he started to get me for non-compliant ballast (the bolt weighs something). I pointed out to him that one, hardware is free, so I "can" replace the factory tie-down bolt with something sturdier and two, did he really want to force me to leave a ~25# mini-spare back there when secured with only a cheap-grade 1/8" bolt? He gave in. - GA

Quote Originally Posted by OUBob View Post
    It could be bolted, but I see a ratchet strap. If the ratchet strap is needed then it shouldn't be passing tech.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.