Thread: 7 ft wide enclosed possible?

Default 7 ft wide enclosed possible?

So, I'm contemplating getting an enclosed trailer for my return to IT.
    I have to buy a trailer anyways, so why not get an enclosed that I can put a TV and mini fridge into and maybe an a/c unit in the roof...so the wife and kid can come and be comfortable...

I actually had not planned on buying a car hauler for a few more months...at least until we finish our move up to NC.
    However, by chance I happen to have a line on a 7ft by 16 foot trailer owned by a family member who is getting out of the construction business and will give me a great deal.
    It is a haulmark with tandem dexter torsion axles, electric brakes, led lights, etrack, etc...

I actually don't even know what my future car will be, but will most likely be an ITS/STL integra or civic. I know that doesn't leave much room in length, but I measured his trailer and compared to length of those cars and they should fit both length wise and width wise.

I figure it will be tighter, but should also be lighter, and pushing less wind...so maybe better mpg's while towing.

Anyways, wondering if anyone else has attempted this, and what they found to be problems or positives with such a trailer...

No personal experience but a friend has used the same size trailer for his ITA car for about 15 years. Of course it's a short car, think Mk I MR/2.
    With the car just inside the trailer he has about 3 ft in front. Enough for a work bench the width of the trailer with room for stuff below and above and tire racks on the side walls above the car. It works for him but may not for every racer.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

Quote Originally Posted by jimbbski View Post
    No personal experience but a friend has used the same size trailer for his ITA car for about 15 years. Of course it's a short car, think Mk I MR/2.
    With the car just inside the trailer he has about 3 ft in front. Enough for a work bench the width of the trailer with room for stuff below and above and tire racks on the side walls above the car. It works for him but may not for every racer.
    well if it worked for 15 yrs then I'm assuming it wasn't all that bad...
    would require creative/careful packaging of spares/tools...plenty of etrack to hang stuff, etc...
    thx

don't forget the nose - you can move a lot of storage out there into a nose box or building exterior aero/cabinets.

it will be tight, though. I like 20+ft just so I have options if and when needed.

heh.. I have a 24' and have a hard time carrying everything I want to a race...
    Then again, when you use tires that are on their last legs, you have to take 5 sets of crap to make it through the weekend.

It'll be tight, but I've seen it done before. careful planning and learn to pack stuff inside the car too. it's also possible that you'll need a winch to pull the car into /out of the trailer if you can't get out of the window or rear hatch once the car is inside.

finally.. will the wheel wells be wide enough for the car? my car is 69" outside-outside on track width. when I park my car, I rub the right side tire against the wheel well in the trailer. I have about 8" on the left side to the next wheel, and that's on an 8.5' wide trailer. if you go to a 7', are you going to be able to get it in there?

Then again, the previous owner of my trailer was a late model dirt guy and his car was too wide to fit between the wells. He built some ramps out of 2x12s so his car ran on top of the wheel wells, and then used the area under the car to store stuff. something else to consider.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I think the best thing at this point is to take one of my civic's over and drive it in to see how it fits...

appreciate the info

Best thing is to get a 20' and sell that one to me cheap.

People didn't say, but you mentioned air conditioner. Which means generator unless you have a landline. Where are you going to put a generator?
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Matt - I use a 16x7 for my vintage Sprite and it works but careful packing is key. It also keeps me from spending more $$$ on stuff I would take to the track that would be nice but not necessarily use. I had a 20x8 for an MGC (same as a MGB but two more cylinders) and found it to be very roomy but that let to tool creep and stuff creep etc.
    The 16x7 is easier to tow, park etc. If you don't have to take everything you own with you to the track, I think you'll find it is a nice size.
    ez