Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summit Point Turn 1-2 No Access in 2014

Default Summit Point Turn 1-2 No Access in 2014

*From the WDCR Facebook page*

Another change will be limited access to turn 1. Due to Summit Point insurance and safety concerns spectators will no longer be allowed access to the turn 1 area. There will be no camping in or spectating from any of the T-1/T-2 area. The fence will be closed and gated along the first crossover road just past the worker camping area. Access to the turn 1 area will be for race officials only.

The fencing along the front straight (driver's right) is scheduled to be removed from the Sound position at the second crossover to T-1. The fence is also to be removed from the T-2 area along the T-2/T-3 straight back to the second crossover. With the fences removed and the open crossover area it will not be considered as a safe area for spectators or campers.

The new T-1 inside access gate will be on the inside gravel/dirt road placed past T-3 at the crossover. That will be the limit of travel for anyone not acting in an official capacity.

man - that sucks. I grew up watching from the outside of the chute, but T1 was always my other favorite spot, and where we would camp when the mud got too bad for us to get our rig to the campgrounds with the rest of the $h!theads.

has anyone broken the news to the boys from the "top of the hill bar and grill"? (or am I dating myself and they have been gone a long time already)

Yep, that does suck. Best Spec Miata viewing area ever...

Are the Top of The Hill Gang the ones that camp on the straight between Sound & the rock bank or the ones who camp near turn 2?

My Dad and I have been watching from pretty much the same spot in turn 1 since 1990

hopefully this is only temporary and not a permanent deal for turn 1

A popular viewing spot for sure and it's always fun to see smiling faces and waves after taking the checkered flag, even back in the mid pack.

Safety Nazis no doubt...
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

Default Summit Point Turn 1-2 No Access in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Yep, that does suck. Best Spec Miata viewing area ever...
    Wonder if they would let us put up a web cam down there?

Quote Originally Posted by Trussell View Post
    Are the Top of The Hill Gang the ones that camp on the straight between Sound & the rock bank or the ones who camp near turn 2?
    Yes. Long ago they camped in the woods inside t4 but moved to that weedy area back around 99. Skippy, driftwood, the governor... good crew.

I think they are still there each race....we usually extend the customary "How's it going in passing"

would be nice if they cut the trees down out there so that you could see T1 action from the base of the tower..

Quote Originally Posted by stevestratton View Post
    Wonder if they would let us put up a web cam down there?
    Or maybe something like this....
    YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

yeah! get lauren's drone on permanent station broadcasting!

Backstory as far as I can tell.

- Cars have a history of landing in the spectator areas between the cross-over road and T1. We all can agree that this is a bad thing, correct?
    - Last year, IIRC, there was an HDPE accident that involved [Rumor on] a car and occupant being impaled on a fence post through the floorboard[/rumor on]
    - Waivers are good for ordinary negligence. Waivers do not protect from gross negligence. Because these things have happened (i.e. foreseeable), if it happens again, it will be considered gross negligence. That wipes clean the waiver, opens the door to considerable punitive damages and even possible criminal sanctions.
    - The reason for cars doing this is the proud and long-established tradition of SPR to ignore routine maintenance. The embankments have become too short and now are ramps. Fixing this would require $ and even possibly a complete redesign of the barriers. Spectator income does not justify that expenditure.
    - The reason spectator income won't justify it is tragic because Summit now is easy to get to and there is a huge motorsports fanbase in the DC area. The track has no interest.

We all need to begin preparing ourselves for the loss of the track. GSA employees have conducted several off-site inspections of the surrounding property that would need to be purchased if <redacted> purchased the property. Let's just say that the folks who would like to purchase it often fly in black helicopters.

On a positive note, Dominion is planning a road course and they are in the business of bringing spectators to their track.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    Backstory as far as I can tell.
    Ugh. Too bad, I really like that place.

Edit: holy crap, can we put a race track in a space any more inconvenient to someone coming from the north that does not live in DC? And I thought NJMP had terrible access!

I'm sure MARRS will love Dominion, but New Englanders are going to hate it, regardless of the facilities.
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 02-13-2014 at 01:37 PM.

It's no secret that the Government wants the entire SP for themselves and will most likely have it with a few years.

The FATT incident last March and lack of up keep are the reason for this new deal.

I'm glad Dominion is building a new road course and I hope they are fan friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Ugh. Too bad, I really like that place.

Edit: holy crap, can we put a race track in a space any more inconvenient to someone coming from the north that does not live in DC? And I thought NJMP had terrible access!

I'm sure MARRS will love Dominion, but New Englanders are going to hate it, regardless of the facilities.
    From the Northeast, VIR isn't much further.
    #08 ITA/STL Miata

Quote Originally Posted by jwasilko View Post
    From the Northeast, VIR isn't much further.
    Exactly. And any track will be hard-pressed to match, let alone exceed, VIR's attraction.

The fountain of all knowledge says boston to summit = 8ish hours. Boston to Mudd Tavern =9ish hours. Big difference not seen. VIR another 3 hours from Tavern of wet soil.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    The fountain of all knowledge says boston to summit = 8ish hours. Boston to Mudd Tavern =9ish hours. Big difference not seen. VIR another 3 hours from Tavern of wet soil.
    The fountain of all knowledge - in context of a track at Thornburg, VA - is failing to take into account New York City, New Jersey Turnpike, Baltimore, Washington DC and all its associated traffic, hassles, and especially tolls. Surely you've tried to drive that route on a Friday afternoon...? No...?

I'd take a 10-hr drive to VIR or a 6-hour drive to Summit Point (from central CT) on the open highway (I-84 to I-81 in both cases) any day over a "supposedly 7 hour drive" to Thornburg VA through all that crap. And that's even before I attach a 28' 10k trailer to my ass. If one were to assume that the best route from I-81 to Thornburg (Rt 17) is a truck/trailer-friendly drive, we're still talking 8+ hours.

And it ain't likely to be a VIR...

GA

Edit: For reference, Fountain indicates, from central CT:

- 1.25 hours to Lime Rock Park.
    - 3.0 hours to New Hampshire Motor Speedway
    - 3.25 to Pocono International
    - 4.5 hours to New Jersey Motorsports Park, using I-84W to I-684S, to I-287W/S, I-95S, Rt 55S. You do NOT want to tow through NYC.
    - 5.0 hours to Watkins Glen
    - 6.0 hours to Trois-Rivieres QC
    - 6.5 hours to SPR, I-84 to I-81 south.
    - 7.5 hours to Mosport ON Raceway
    - 8.0 hours for Thornburg, I-84 to I-81 south to 17 south.
    - 9.25 to Mid Ohio
    - 10.25 hours for VIR from central CT, using I-84 to I-81 south, to 29 south.
    - It also indicates 6.5 hours for Thornburg via NYC, NJP, Balt, and DC. But if you think that's possible, you're high. Or not from here. Or you're driving at 2AM on Christmas morning. And tolls with a trailer will be ~$50 each way regardless of your biological state. The I-95 corridor sucks tail.

And, soon:
    - 1:15 to Thompson International Speedway
    - 1 hour to Palmer Motorsports Park

Dominion Raceway will need to be a HELL of a track to suck in New England at those travel times. VIR and Mid-Ohio is.
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 02-14-2014 at 11:10 AM.

Greg's summary is a great example of why I moved to central CT - more track options within 8 hrs of towing than anywhere else I could find.

He is also dead on that towing on the I-95 corridor for weekend race events is awful. I would put it somewhere around the 5th circle of hell but I would accept arguments of +/- a circle.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

On the bright side...

I live in Alexandria so I'm more than familiar with the traffic issues. It's lousy from the mixing bowl (beltway/95/395) south from around 3-7 but after 7 it opens up. Also, if you've got two in the truck the HOV express lanes are available and they are being extended further south.
    Hayes Lewis