Thread: MX5 NC (2005 and newer)

Default MX5 NC (2005 and newer)

I didn't see it in the GCR, but honestly I am not an expert at miatas and they have a LOT of versions of them! I THINK the NC is the same as what they use in the MX-5 cup, T4, and the new WC TCA class (yes it is in other pro-racing but I was keeping to SCCA). Is it listed in IT anywhere? Would it be an ITS car or ITR car...thoughts?

Stephen

The NC is the 2006+ car, and it's on page 517, classed in ITS. The spec line might need to be updated since it only lists 2006.
    #08 ITA/STL Miata

thanks, i wasnt sure! suprised this isnt an "R" car when looking at mx5 cup, WC and grand-am times

Well 2480 in WC 2600 in Spec Mx5 and T4 BUT 2740 in ITS... wow that is a pig!! I think I heard it has a curb weight of 2400lbs... Any chance this could be changed to get more pro cars into ITR club racing... they are being sold at some good deals

Thoughts??

Stephen

What type of pricing are you hearing?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

The T4 car that won the nationals last year is on racing junk for 22k. I saw an mx5 playboy cup car for 26 with tons of spares but that is gone. If I wanted to get into racing (and had some disposable income) I would get one of these so my options for a pro race are open and I could even rent it if I really tried. I have heard of people spending 20k on na and nb cars...

Stephen

There is also the SM5 class in the GCR made specifically for these cars.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Understood, I just want to get more people interested in IT. I don't know if any running in ITS and if the crossover to ITR makes more sense maybe more will come...

Stephen

We originally put it in ITR. Mazda camp lobbied for iTS so we moved it
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Gotcha, thanks. What weight in ITR?

While I love the rotary engine and my IT-7 (which I can't wait to start club racing this year in SEDIV), I absolutely fell in love with the NC MX-5 I drove at the Skippy school last month at Sebring. The close ratio 6 speed and open cockpit was a real bonus!

Somehow I missed the checked flag during open lapping...bonus lap!!!

Those of us who built them for GA know that it would be near impossible to get to the ITR weight. Remember, only 'half' an interior to pull and you really do need the hardtop to make speed up top.

The car handles better than any Miata to date but the weight does have to be taken into account.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I tihnk it was in the 23xx range. You can do the math, stock hp, ITR multiplier, 25% gain.

Andy and Steve Eckerich lobbied (correctly in my view) to get the car moved as a reasonable build with cool suit, radio, etc. just wouldn't make weight.

There is at least one under construciton for ITS here in the SEDiv. I used to be faster than the SM5s at VIR but they have picked up their game. Still faster in a straight line but the kick ass ABS (which they won't have in ITS) is a big help to them.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8