Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Devil in the Dark 2014

Holy hell was that fun.

W

I agree! We had a blast! Time to rip the car all apart and rebuild it for our first race in 4 weeks time! :-)

Default The Devil in the Dark Afterglow

What a great event - 12 hours of racing with an 18.327 second margin of victory. Great race, good weather and a new overall lap record of 442 laps (994.5 miles).

The Jersey Racing Board would like to thank all of the teams who participated in this year's race. We enjoyed putting it on and hope that you enjoyed it as well.

Race Results

E1

1. Elgin Racing Boss 302R - 442 laps
    2. Johnstone Supply Racing BMW M3 - 442 laps
    3. STR BMW M3 - 422 laps

E2

1. Yushino / RST Performance Mazda RX8 - 417 laps
    2. Team Troxel BMW 325is - 411 laps
    3. Miskoe Motorsports Mazda Miata - 408 laps

E3

1. Dewspeed Mazda Miata - 413 laps
    2. Flatout Motorsports - Mazda Miata - 408 laps
    3. Flatout Motorsports - Mazda Miata - 405 laps

E4

1. Main Line Overland / Henwood Motorsports - 408 laps
    2. Entropy Racing Sports R - 405 laps
    3. Entropy Racing Sports R - 403 laps

E5

WCTF Racing / Frisky Dingo Honda Civic - 383 laps
    Maximum Attach Motorsports VW Golf - 375 laps

Complete results should be available on the NEDiv website

We had positive comments and close, competitive racing in all five of our endurance classes. We invite comments on its structure and future use.

Mark your calendars for 25 April 2015

Terry
    Last edited by Terry Hanushek; 04-28-2014 at 10:13 PM. Reason: date correction

Terry, great event! We had a blast! Despite our plan to run a car in E1, had problems with that car and moved to a car that was the slowest out there! You gotta hand it to the two Lemons cars. Both finished the full 12 hours with NO problems!! Out of 51 cars we ended up 28th over all. Hats off to the Blethens. They had to pit every hour for fuel and still managed an imressive win

I was really wondering why the winning Mustang was still pulling off such risky passes after 11 hours, 45 minutes. I didnt realize that second was that close behind. I was also impressed with the hot pulls the track did to keep things running. Just a few FCY and when we did have them, only lasted a couple of laps.

Only feed back I have was on the registration process on Friday............. but I'm guessing you already knew that! LOL
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

In terms of feedback, I REALLY prefer - and i think my teammates would have enjoyed - the 10-to-10 schedule rather than noon-to-midnight. I know the event sets itself apart with the night racing but it's rough on crews, and more importantly I think it REALLY imposes on workers. FWIW.

K

I agree with Kirk. The 12 hour at Summit ran from 12 to 12, and 11 to 11. Workers asked for less night time and the BOD changed it to 9 to 9. Drivers balked and didn't enter since they wanted more night driving than a 9 PM in June. The BOD then decided that endurance racing was dying due to lack of entries and pulled the plug. The good folks in NJ picked up the event and the rest is good history. Perhaps a poll of workers and drivers can reach a consensus on the best start/stop time. But my vote is 10 to 10.
    Chuck

Cool updates - way to go RST!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Thanks Ben! Turning low 34's on street tires after 7 hours with no 5th or 6th gear was my highlight! (Eventhough I wasn't driving). 4th overall was pretty darn cool to!

Well you already know that we waisted hours of moving stuff for the no parking area that wasn't in the supps.
    You also know about having pace car rules in the supps or we will file a protest against the stewards.
    And Ya as mentioned this is the second year in a row that registration was a complete disaster. Tech opens at 10am but registration opens at 11 1hr before testing starts for hundreds if not a thousand people. I recommend thursday night registration and 8am registration at the latest friday am.

Personally I like the noon to midnight but Ya I get the no party thing that late...
    I also agree with the motorcycle thoughts but I think we are supposed to be out and would be surprised if terry doesn't here from the track about several teams still around at 11.

Stephen

Just reread my post and I don't want to sound to negative. Everything was handled professionally and dealt with immediately. Even the registration line they tried to make better immediately which credit has to be given to these organizers for trying even if things went wrong.

Stephen

Drivers balked and didn't enter since they wanted more night driving than a 9 PM in June.
    How many hours of night driving happen between the two events if in NJ it were 10 to 10? A few variables impact this including time of year.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    How many hours of night driving happen between the two events if in NJ it were 10 to 10? A few variables impact this including time of year.
    I ran the dusk shift, from ~6:15 to ~8:15 and it was totall dark at the end. Official civilian sunset was ~7:45.

Dave / Greg

Lights are required to be on at 7:45 PM. It is basically dark from 8:00 PM to midnight.

Terry

Great event, as always. Good class win and overall finish for the Blethens, they've worked hard to get there.

Dark/light - well less dark driving makes it less enduro-ish, but I understand the needs that drive an earlier start/stop time.

Will the results (and all the individual laps) get posted on Mylaps? I've looked but not seen them as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MMiskoe View Post
    Will the results (and all the individual laps) get posted on Mylaps? I've looked but not seen them as of yet.
    Also, will fast laps count toward track records? I could have the LCC3 track record...until the next LCC3 car shows up!

Check the supps. Generally, enduros do not honor lap records because the various configs of the car cannot be verified through the event (e.g., remove all weight, toss on non-compliant go-fast equipment, come back into compliance for end of race...)

I know I've seen that before, but checked the supps twice and didn't find it. Makes sense that those times aren't allowed for track records.

Would be incentive to come back to a JRB event this season! It would be great to have a couple LCC cars out there.

(e.g., remove all weight, toss on non-compliant go-fast equipment, come back into compliance for end of race...)
    So how often do you think that happens in a race like this? We were speculating about the speed of the SM cars vrs our ITS Miata. On more than one occasion we've been nose to tail w/ no discernable difference in speed at the exit of the last corner and we get pulled to turn 1. We're running a car w/ header, intake, compression bump, lighter weight and no restrictor and an SM car can have legs on us. Seems suspect. Knowing how easy it is pull the restrictor it has often made me wonder if this gets done during these races.

Will

I know I've seen that before, but checked the supps twice and didn't find it.
    Page 7 / G E N E R A L / 1. TIMING & SCORING ... last sentence: No track records will be recognized during this event.

What tGA said

Would be incentive to come back to a JRB event this season! It would be great to have a couple LCC cars out there.
    LeChump (LCCx) cars are welcome at all of our JRB regionals, starting with Pocono this month and continuing at NJMP in June, August and October.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MMiskoe View Post
    So how often do you think that happens in a race like this?
    No idea. But it's a 5-minute job that could certainly yield be worth that "investment" over 12 hours.

Pretty obvious for other teams to spot though. I think weight would be the most likely. Last stint have more fuel and heaviest driver on the team finish it out. Other sessions be underweight.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing