Thread: The Devil in the Dark 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dave

Pretty obvious for other teams to spot though. I think weight would be the most likely. Last stint have more fuel and heaviest driver on the team finish it out. Other sessions be underweight.
    What Kirk said .... Plus

Page 5 / S P E C I A L . E V E N T . R U L E S / 7. Car Modifications
    With the exception of consumable items (fuel, oil, water, tires and brake pads), nothing may
    be added or changed on the car in the last hour without the permission of the Chief Steward or representative.

This provision was added several years ago after a team was observed placing a spare tire in their car with about an hour to go. The car was weighed with and without the spare tire in post race impound. Much to the relief of the crew, the car made weight by about three pounds without the spare tire. We do what we can to level the playing field.

See ya at races

Terry

Note to self: Make new ballast boxes full of brake pads...

Most of my Chump team loves the night races. And FWIW the Chump and lemons races have moved a liitle away from overnight 24s and night racing in general.
    Maybe Terry can find a market gap and fill it .
    IMHO the night races are what makes an endurance race cool. Sunrise over the pack is just the nuts.

RE pace car; The steward could designate 3 or 4 ¨pace cars"among the race cars . Yes the pace car situation can add or subtract a lap for the front teams very easy. As the intensity / cost go up,. these things matter more to teams that are out for the win, overlooking the fun factor .

We stopped the 12 at the point when fuel rigs were allowed and the nightt running was reduced, making the race just a long race that required fuel rigs to be near the front. The lack of fuel cell size rules also dampened our enthusiasm.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

^I think in E1 and E2 you might need a fuel rig and big cell to win this one. But in the lower classes I'm not at all convinced. I witnessed enough of a delta in car and team prep, and DRIVING ability, that some time + or - in the pits didn't make that huge of a difference. IOW, if you maximized the result from what you had in hand, you were probably way further ahead than guys that had rigs and stuff and didn't execute otherwise.

That said, I have to give props to the guys in the E3 and particularly E4 cars that were top 10 OA. They had to be on point.

Will

4th overall = E2 car with terrible gas mileage (rx8) with a stock 13 gallon tank fitted with a single hose dry break to use dump cans. Used 1 set of street tires Saturday. May use the same tires later this year. Top speed on the car was 115 with no 5th or 6th after the first hour.

Driver out with 10 seconds, driver in and car moving within 20 to 30 seconds. If your pit stop took you more than 2:45seconds then we lapped you :-) ours were all about 1:15.

For the Devil, they weighed cars w/o driver, then added a bogey 180#.
    This works quite well for me, too bad my co-drivers out-weigh me by 40# (or more).

I have checked and the driver of my car would have to weigh only about 135# for the car to be underweight w/ zero fuel, and even I can't do that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by webhound View Post
    ^I think in E1 and E2 you might need a fuel rig and big cell to win this one. But in the lower classes I'm not at all convinced. I witnessed enough of a delta in car and team prep, and DRIVING ability, that some time + or - in the pits didn't make that huge of a difference. IOW, if you maximized the result from what you had in hand, you were probably way further ahead than guys that had rigs and stuff and didn't execute otherwise.

That said, I have to give props to the guys in the E3 and particularly E4 cars that were top 10 OA. They had to be on point.

Will
    Had we been equipped with our typical 22-gallon cell and dump cans, we would have made three stops (rather than six), and they would have averaged about half the time we spent on each one. How many laps is that...?

K