View Poll Results: Which would you rather do?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would rather finish 3rd in a hard-fought, 3-car race.

59 85.51%
  • I would rather win by a huge margin.

10 14.49%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of racer are you?

I've never won a race and don't know that I ever will so my perspective may be a little different, but driving around by yourself sucks. I can do that at a lapping day. It's a lot more fun when you're racing someone, even if it's for 7th place.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    And see, to me that is exactly what option B is about. It doesn't really matter why you ran away to that 10 second lead, whether it was a weak field, or you just did that much better a job prepping & driving the car. That just wouldn't be as much fun for me (then again, it's not like that has ever happened to me...).

And yeah, I know it's all racing; but I'm talking about a scrap, about having to fight tooth and nail to get around that guy in front of you, or to keep that guy behind you. For me, that's when the adrenaline really get going, when the heart really starts pumping, when I feel like I'm in the middle of a dogfight. That is why I do this shit, for times like that.
    Yep, but when I read b, I read it as I'm in an over dog, and crushed the field.
    That is boring as crap.

Running neck and neck is fun, and gives great racing, but I loved running away, and winning by a big gap, for the totality of the effort and result.
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

I've finished up and down the results sheet over the last 19 years in my MR2. A year in SSC in 1995, best finish 3rd. 12 years in ITA generally mid pack, but good racing with the likes of Matthew Yip (General Li VW), Chris Mitchum (of Mitchum Mororsports, Honda CRX) and Peter Doane (Psychedelic MR2) among others.
    We have 4 or 5 MR2s that usually show up at the MARRS races. The car was finally moved to ITB in 2009, where it should have been all along, and with a couple readjustments of weight I have finished usually in the top 10, with a 3rd and 4th in 2013 due to atttrition and some luck. I even finished 1st twice in the same weekend at the National Invitational at Summit Point in 2011. It also happened to be 5.21 & 22, which was supposed to be the End of the World. It must have been since I won. No other ITB car showed up, but hey, I got the trophy!
    For me the best fun is diving into T1 at the start and getting out the other end with the fenders still intact, then running nose to tail and door to door with someone, usually my bubby Steve Beckley (MR2). No matter what happens at the start we seem to end up together, duking it out for the last few laps, which has happened for years. It's great when you know you can trust the other guy to leave you just enough room, and you're grinning at the same time you're cursing at him. After the race we go back to the paddock, the winner of the MR2 races buys a beer for the other MR2 guys and we exchange our traditional checkered flag for the race within the race. And the trash talk begins again. Good stuff!
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

The ones everybody else remembers are the walk-away romps...the ones I remember are the tightly-fought 3rd-place finishes.

- GA

as a mechanic , it feels GREAT to have a run-a-way race !! as a racer , i know its more fun to run ,even win a close one. some have called us strange !!..having helped our competitors fix their cars so they could out-run us !! i have enjoyed them all !!! ralph mcconnell