View Poll Results: Which would you rather do?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would rather finish 3rd in a hard-fought, 3-car race.

59 85.51%
  • I would rather win by a huge margin.

10 14.49%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of racer are you?

Default What kind of racer are you?

Just out of curiosity...

I've always raced under the philosophy that we do this for fun, and it is much more fun to actually compete with other drivers for position than to win running all alone. Of course the ultimate high is to have good, close racing, where you come out on top; but with the exception of some of spec classes (SM, SSM, SRF) that seems to be more the exception than the rule. I've said more than once I would rather finish 3rd in a close, hard-fought race race with 2 other drivers than win by 20 seconds. Of course that doesn't mean I would ever slow down if I found myself way out in front, but it just wouldn't be a satisfying or fun. I've also come to learn that there are many drivers for whom winning is the only thing, no matter how it happens.

Anyway, I've added a poll with options for those two philosophies; I am curious to see how many others feel the way I do. I'm guessing up front that I am in the minority, but we'll see...
    Last edited by erlrich; 01-09-2014 at 02:01 PM.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

you always want to win, but its no fun if you're out there just lapping every weekend
    Ryan Hall

Just Boss It
    #03 Mini Cooper B-Spec
    Indian Summer Racing/Advanced Monograms
    SolidSkills.Net

Best races I've had were ones where I did not win. Had some nice ones at CMP and RRR like that, VIR not so much as things tend to get spread out.

Poll writing fale!
    I think what you meant was:
    Finish in the top of a group of equally talented drivers after a hard fought battle

or

Dickstomp a poorly subscribed class of newbies and also rans,

Ideally, I like to WIN a hard fought race ...by a wide margin, LOL
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

As a good friend told me..." the best place to be during a race is leading your class, directly on on the bumper of the second place car!"
    Last edited by chuck baader; 01-09-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Clarity??
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Poll writing fale!
    I think what you meant was:
    Finish in the top of a group of equally talented drivers after a hard fought battle

or

Dickstomp a poorly subscribed class of newbies and also rans,
    I thought that was what I said...meant....meant to say....oh, hell, you know what I meant.

I think the real fale was in thinking I was in the minority. Or, maybe those for whom winning is all that matters don't want to admit it (or maybe they're out working on their race cars, and don't have time to post dumb polls on internet forums?)....
    Last edited by erlrich; 01-09-2014 at 04:56 PM.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Best races I've had were ones where I did not win.

+1

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

What Jake said.

And not all the time but sometimes it is fun! One weekend a few years back in the rain, myself and one other car totally took off. I think we may have lapped the entire field (some multiple times), and several other higher class cars. I admit I was having a LOT of fun.

I've also won by a good margin and was the most boring race ever. My wife made it a point to tell me she was bored too. Probably some of my most fun races where for 15th or so place. Still don't want to go back there now though. lol

This very point has made me wonder sometimes about people who build their cars to a point where they are much better than their competition. It doesn't take away from their driving abilities, but wondered if they were actually having fun or being pushed to become a better driver. I know the answer to that.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Two races come to mind that where the most fun for me.

The first was i made a bad tire choice on one of those weather days where everyone is standing around looking at eachnother tire someone to decide on a tire. I made the wrong call and left pregrid to swap. I had to start for pit row and last....about 30th overall. I qualified 7th overall. It was a blast working through traffic. I was trying to get back to my qualifying position. I almost did it.

Second was a day with two races placing 3rd then 2nd. Somehow I was mixed in with two of the fastest drivers in the northeast with boat loads more talent and experience than i have. Somehow in both races we stayed within a second or less of each other. I was totally using up my car to be there. They graciously didnt treat me rough. Awesome time.

On the flip side I hate being the slug that is giving my mentors a point by every ten laps.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I'll take option c. Runaway to a 10+ second win, in a tightly rules controlled class, via prep and driving.

For example, my first road racing win, in a pro7. Cheap class (what happened to those?), equal enought cars, good drivers, and a race where it all came good.

Saw my first mentor at the gas station that night, who gave me a big hug and told me he knew I could do it. Great praise that started a killer 5 year run. ( and a memory, clear as day 10 years later)
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

I wish I could finish anywhere but last place, only 10 long seconds back from 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Miller View Post
    I'll take option c. Runaway to a 10+ second win, in a tightly rules controlled class, via prep and driving.
    Voted "A" but agree with "C" above... It is always fun to out drive a field in the rain that you generally race with in the dry!

Back in the day before the big change in ITB the Audi's dominated at tracks like Pocono and Road Atlanta where the top speed of the car was 10mph higher than the competition... But other tracks like NHIS (yes NHIS, not NHMS) the cars could barely make the top 5. It was far more fun to race for first against my brother at Pocono than a top 5 at NHIS, so much so that we stopped racing at NHIS/NHMS for several years even though it was only 30min down the street.

Raymond "times change along with goals" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Probably one of my favorite races ever was when I was starting out in w2w and Matt Yip and I raced each other hammer and tong for DFL. We were so far back that the leaders were already loaded on their trailers by the time we finished. That was close to 20 years ago, and we both still love to tell the story of how we met.

Since then I have chosen to race in a heavily contested class because there is always competition, no matter where you are in the field. I will say that running at the pointy end of the grid is a lot nicer, but having had the occasion to start mid-pack or farther back once in a while has it's benefits too. It's different to have the luxury of just attacking instead of having to worry about being attacked as well.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

I've had loads of fun battling friends for places other than first. But I'm also out there to win.......... isnt that why we keep track of where everyone places?

If it was all about running close with friends I'd do track days......... and spend a hell of a lot less money!!

But I have to admit, back when I was not expecting to win I had a lot more fun......... Once I started winning and had the expectation everytime that my intent was to win, it became a little less fun. I'm competitive in everything I do so I don't think I really know how to dial it back so it's only about the fun..........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    But I have to admit, back when I was not expecting to win I had a lot more fun......... Once I started winning and had the expectation everytime that my intent was to win, it became a little less fun. I'm competitive in everything I do so I don't think I really know how to dial it back so it's only about the fun..........
    I've run into this 100%....and have burnt myself out due to it. I think it's near impossible to dial it back and get what you want/need out of it but it is something I've been consciously working on the last couple of years. It's fun god damn it!
    Jason Carroll - NER IT7 #07

I've won races and championships but I've had more fun with side by side battles -- me and Zsolt at VIR, me and Steve E. at Charlotte, me and Tim Jernum at Daytona -- than anything else.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Swapping positions for laps on end is a blast.....especially if you win.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

Best race weekend I've had in years...
    http://www.sowdivscca.org/raceresult...%20Results.pdf
    http://www.sowdivscca.org/raceresult...%20Results.pdf
    Check out the margin of victory on both races..

The lap charts (STILL not loaded on MyLaps..) tell an even better tale- I wish I had video!
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 01-10-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

The 2008 IT Fest weekend had the best racing I have ever enjoyed. I finished 3rd in a hard fought 3 car battle all weekend.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Miller View Post
    And see, to me that is exactly what option B is about. It doesn't really matter why you ran away to that 10 second lead, whether it was a weak field, or you just did that much better a job prepping & driving the car. That just wouldn't be as much fun for me (then again, it's not like that has ever happened to me...).

And yeah, I know it's all racing; but I'm talking about a scrap, about having to fight tooth and nail to get around that guy in front of you, or to keep that guy behind you. For me, that's when the adrenaline really get going, when the heart really starts pumping, when I feel like I'm in the middle of a dogfight. That is why I do this shit, for times like that.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5