View Poll Results: Which would you rather do?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would rather finish 3rd in a hard-fought, 3-car race.

59 85.51%
  • I would rather win by a huge margin.

10 14.49%

Thread: What kind of racer are you?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Miller View Post
    I'll take option c. Runaway to a 10+ second win, in a tightly rules controlled class, via prep and driving.
    Voted "A" but agree with "C" above... It is always fun to out drive a field in the rain that you generally race with in the dry!

Back in the day before the big change in ITB the Audi's dominated at tracks like Pocono and Road Atlanta where the top speed of the car was 10mph higher than the competition... But other tracks like NHIS (yes NHIS, not NHMS) the cars could barely make the top 5. It was far more fun to race for first against my brother at Pocono than a top 5 at NHIS, so much so that we stopped racing at NHIS/NHMS for several years even though it was only 30min down the street.

Raymond "times change along with goals" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Probably one of my favorite races ever was when I was starting out in w2w and Matt Yip and I raced each other hammer and tong for DFL. We were so far back that the leaders were already loaded on their trailers by the time we finished. That was close to 20 years ago, and we both still love to tell the story of how we met.

Since then I have chosen to race in a heavily contested class because there is always competition, no matter where you are in the field. I will say that running at the pointy end of the grid is a lot nicer, but having had the occasion to start mid-pack or farther back once in a while has it's benefits too. It's different to have the luxury of just attacking instead of having to worry about being attacked as well.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

I've had loads of fun battling friends for places other than first. But I'm also out there to win.......... isnt that why we keep track of where everyone places?

If it was all about running close with friends I'd do track days......... and spend a hell of a lot less money!!

But I have to admit, back when I was not expecting to win I had a lot more fun......... Once I started winning and had the expectation everytime that my intent was to win, it became a little less fun. I'm competitive in everything I do so I don't think I really know how to dial it back so it's only about the fun..........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    But I have to admit, back when I was not expecting to win I had a lot more fun......... Once I started winning and had the expectation everytime that my intent was to win, it became a little less fun. I'm competitive in everything I do so I don't think I really know how to dial it back so it's only about the fun..........
    I've run into this 100%....and have burnt myself out due to it. I think it's near impossible to dial it back and get what you want/need out of it but it is something I've been consciously working on the last couple of years. It's fun god damn it!
    Jason Carroll - NER IT7 #07

I've won races and championships but I've had more fun with side by side battles -- me and Zsolt at VIR, me and Steve E. at Charlotte, me and Tim Jernum at Daytona -- than anything else.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Swapping positions for laps on end is a blast.....especially if you win.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

Best race weekend I've had in years...
    http://www.sowdivscca.org/raceresult...%20Results.pdf
    http://www.sowdivscca.org/raceresult...%20Results.pdf
    Check out the margin of victory on both races..

The lap charts (STILL not loaded on MyLaps..) tell an even better tale- I wish I had video!
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 01-10-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7