Thread: Accelerometer

Default Accelerometer

I had a question for the community-

One of my students is doing a science fair project in which he would like to mimic the helmet testing done by the Snell Foundation. The test which he'd like to demo is the internal accelerations tests, using an accelerometer inside the helmet during several levels of impact. The problem is, the threshold for Snell allows for up to 300g peak instantaneous accelerations. I do not have any info on time weighted averaging, only peak numbers.

Does anyone have an accelerometer that is capable of reading and logging data in that range, and would be willing to rent/loan it for educational purposes? We're trying to find out if there's even a possibility of persuing this, while there is still time for him to change course if necessary.

I do know that the newest iphone/ipod top out at 8g. I may have access to an older logging device, the Gcube (if my most wonderful friend will let me borrow it), but haven't been able to find any information on range of measurement for that device...

We are in SE PA (the student lives in Shillington, PA near Reading)...

Can anyone assist?

Thanks!!!

Can anyone help?
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Not cheap, but Omega sells 'impact duty' accelerometers that are designed for these types of things.
    http://www.omega.com/pptst/DLC101.html

In addition to the accelerometer, you'll of course need some sort of data logger for it as well.

I wonder if Omega would be willing to 'help out' with a loaner unit since this is a research project.. It's always worth a shot to ask, right?
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I had seen some like those, but never thought of asking for "educational sponsorship participation".

I may have to try that if there are no other leads. Only issue is that it looks like the one we'd need has a few week lead time, so I'm not sure they have one to loan out...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Maybe they'll be willing to make some phone calls to previous customers who bought them...

I also wonder if Snell has some 'old test equipment' laying around the back of their shop?

It's amazing how many people and businesses will help out a student on stuff like this. When I was in high school, I did a project on air quality and needed some gas samples tested. I was able to talk a local paper mill into doing the testing since they were the biggest industry in the area and wanted to get some green points. And that was 25 yrs ago- well before public opinion and the "corporate green initiative" became hip..
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Just FYI all-

I picked up an accelerometer from a company called Gulf Coast Data Concepts.

www.gcdataconcepts.com

Matt, thanks for reminding me that the best way to get something is to just ask (something I normally have no problem doing). After a brief conversation, a rep from the company gave me an educational discount on a logging accelerometer (250g max) that had a minor (and easily addressed) QC issue that couldn't be resolved. I was impressed not only by their help and cooperation, but also by the fact that they test every product, and if it isn't right, it doesn't get sold (at least, not for full price).

Consider this post a very positive shout-out, not only for customer service, but for high standards of quality. If you have a need for one of their products, I HIGHLY recommend them.
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??