Thread: participation or points, what matter more to you in a championship?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default participation or points, what matter more to you in a championship?

Which do you prefer and why?

Currently the championships in the Northeast you must complete a certain number of events to be eligible. But at the same time you also get drops so that it isn't thought of as a participation championship. For example: "NERRC CLASS CHAMPIONSHIPS*are decided by total points accumulated in a class per the current scoring rules. *Drivers must entered at least 50% of the races to be eligible"

What are your thoughts and opinions?

I will be honest I can see it both ways. I want to go to the banquet with the people I raced with all year not just the person that showed up a couple times and did real well but at the same time that person probably deserves it... not sure how I feel about it.

Stephen
    Last edited by StephenB; 01-08-2014 at 09:54 PM.

How could you truly judge a driver's skill or a car's performance if they just show up 2 times and win. Maybe they drive really well in the rain, or maybe their car is only really fast at one track. I think you need the minimum competition rule to set the season winners apart from the race winners. Let the guy who shows up most brag about being champ, and let the guy with the best motor (or skills, setup, etc.) brag about winning races.

And just for the record, they should all come to the awards banquet for a beer.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

I agree on the participation thing.. It's one thing for a slower guy who tries harder and shows up all season with a mid-pack car vs. a local hotshoe in a retired World Challenge car that comes to 2 double-points races a season and walks away with the trophy..
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    I agree on the participation thing.. It's one thing for a slower guy who tries harder and shows up all season with a mid-pack car vs. a local hotshoe in a retired World Challenge car that comes to 2 double-points races a season and walks away with the trophy..
    which is better?
    Jason Carroll - NER IT7 #07

I guess it all depends on what one would consider a championship?
    Often the winners is the guy with best attendance!
    Not to long ago we also required and average car count per class.
    We would have a guy attend every race, be the only one in his class and not win the championship. Why did he not deserve the championship?
    Jerry
    NER South

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    championship. Why did he not deserve the championship?
    Because every Region has to decide what they consider a Champion. If one guy goes to all races and never competes against anyone, he is not a 'Champion' IMHO.

I like the minimum participation. 50% of the races, or more commonly '1 more than half', is a way to drive participation and revenue of those with such goals but to also lend credibility to the Championship.

If you want to 'boost' credibility even more, you need to have a points structure that gives you credit for people raced against and then set up a minimum threshold to be eligible for the title.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967