Thread: Lime Rock Park...sigh.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As one who cut my racing teeth at Lime Rock (first event as a SCCA worker - timing and scoring since I was only 20 and could not Flag until 21, that was back in 1966), I am saddened at the state of affairs at LRP, and hope that things improve and the place survives. Still hoping to get out there and race before I get too old, or it gets way too expensive, or ............
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Bill..in 1966 SCCA was in full bloom with hugh fields, TRANSAM and CANAM.......major pro events with extremely closely matched cars..and cheap gasoline. Talent pool was hugh.......some real drivers of character racing(meant only in that guys like Parneli Jones and George Follmer really added some spice to the mix).. 3 more really good tracks for NER. The old Bryar Motorsports park(Loudon), The old Thompson road course......and Bridgehanpton,

Fast forward...sigh
    Last edited by BruceG; 01-11-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Default Why did you have to mention it?!

Ahhhh,....Bridgehampton.
    There will never be another so great again. Times change, things become more "civilized" and "safe".
    And something is forever lost, a considerable thing that many will never know.
    phil hunt

Bridgehampton.... I remember watching you run either Matilda or her predecessor there with EMRA. Wish I could have run the place now instead of as the hack I was as a newbie. VIR is the closest thing I've found to it.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

My dad raced at Bridgehampton and said it was his favorite track. I attended, but was too young to remember. I wish it was still there so I could experience it.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

If the pictures on Bing maps are up to date it appears that the main straight, infield bridge and downhill, are still in place and are acually used for the entrance to the golf club.

I only drove it a few times but was never able to go under the bridge without lifting. I had a 67 Rambler American with about 400 hp that was doing about 144 mph at the bridge. That was the fastest I have gone in a vehicle.

Great track

Nat Wentworth
    Volvo 142 ITB

Default yes, a lot still is visible

I've visited the site on Google Earth several times.
    It's ominous how so much of the layout etched in my mind is still visible.
    Bridgehampton was where it all started for me. It was a Camelot in asphalt.
    A very special place, in fact and in memory, almost like a ritual space to me.
    I never had the same experience of being fully present at any of the other great tracks I've driven like I had at the Bridge. Driving Bridgehamton fast was like reaching some higher level of consciousness, at least for me it was.
    God, I'm getting old!
    phil hunt