Thread: Lime Rock Park...sigh.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lime Rock Park...sigh.

back in the day, I remember some great big time races at Lime Rock. Pretty recently too. AMLS was pretty recent. IMSA, Rolex, multiple big days every year. Some years I had to pick, because I was going to Lime Rock all...the ...time.

Won't be a problem this year.

THey have ONE significant Pro race, the Conti Challenge.

Don't get me wrong, it's a really cool series and all, but...it's not Hurley Haywood in a Porsche or Peter Gregg or Nissan GTPs, or Audi R8s.
    Oh, and thye have the vintage weekend. (though thats been given to a much more open group that is hungry for cars).

Has Lime Rock lost it's relevance??
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I think Skip was/is charging too much for track rental, He pissed off Nascar K&N Series..then Modifieds and it went from there. I know theres some good people in the office trying to change things. Probably the same reason why Majors/Nationals haven't been in a few years.
    Ryan Hall

Just Boss It
    #03 Mini Cooper B-Spec
    Indian Summer Racing/Advanced Monograms
    SolidSkills.Net

yes, Skip thinks his track is pretty dear, and charges more than the going rate. Which for clubs is elastic, and lacking local competition, it can work.

But more tracks are coming on line, and for Pro series entrants, Lime Rock is a major PITA. Total lack of nearby and reasonable cost accommodations, difficult to get to, limited hours of operation, (NO SUNDAYS!) and...a major issue: it's too damn short. (And paddocking and pit lanes are issues as well)

Result? I think that with the behind the scenes shenanigans that Skip may or may not be pulling money-wise, the other factors...especially the ready supply of other options that are as, or are more viable, has put some nails in the Lime Rock coffin, as far as spectator events goes.

Which is a pity.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

They're supposed to be dumping quite a few $$ into it, i heard rumors of paving all of B-Paddock....which is great as long as they put a bunch of good bathrooms in the place. This year seems to be a loss for good spectator events but i'm still optimistic for "15." But i agree, with so many good tracks on the east coast, the lack of hospitality near by and no Sunday racing they are in a tight spot. They did well for a long time....time to get back to basics...or charge less.
    Ryan Hall

Just Boss It
    #03 Mini Cooper B-Spec
    Indian Summer Racing/Advanced Monograms
    SolidSkills.Net

The pit entrance not being completed when hoped for is what killed LRP for '14. Yes, it sucks but I don't think it's doom and gloom, at least yet.

The whole BMW sponsorship will also be interesting. Or maybe they're able to hook a new sponsor? That would be my guess then back on track for '15.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Well..Skip seems to think that the Cub at Lime Rock is the way to go. And dog and pony shows like the drifting last summer on the autocross circuit. Went up there during lunch from the poorly attended Mohud down grade to Regional in July. Tons of cars and spectators.