Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lime Rock Park...sigh.

Bill..in 1966 SCCA was in full bloom with hugh fields, TRANSAM and CANAM.......major pro events with extremely closely matched cars..and cheap gasoline. Talent pool was hugh.......some real drivers of character racing(meant only in that guys like Parneli Jones and George Follmer really added some spice to the mix).. 3 more really good tracks for NER. The old Bryar Motorsports park(Loudon), The old Thompson road course......and Bridgehanpton,

Fast forward...sigh
    Last edited by BruceG; 01-11-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Default Why did you have to mention it?!

Ahhhh,....Bridgehampton.
    There will never be another so great again. Times change, things become more "civilized" and "safe".
    And something is forever lost, a considerable thing that many will never know.
    phil hunt

Bridgehampton.... I remember watching you run either Matilda or her predecessor there with EMRA. Wish I could have run the place now instead of as the hack I was as a newbie. VIR is the closest thing I've found to it.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

My dad raced at Bridgehampton and said it was his favorite track. I attended, but was too young to remember. I wish it was still there so I could experience it.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

If the pictures on Bing maps are up to date it appears that the main straight, infield bridge and downhill, are still in place and are acually used for the entrance to the golf club.

I only drove it a few times but was never able to go under the bridge without lifting. I had a 67 Rambler American with about 400 hp that was doing about 144 mph at the bridge. That was the fastest I have gone in a vehicle.

Great track

Nat Wentworth
    Volvo 142 ITB

Default yes, a lot still is visible

I've visited the site on Google Earth several times.
    It's ominous how so much of the layout etched in my mind is still visible.
    Bridgehampton was where it all started for me. It was a Camelot in asphalt.
    A very special place, in fact and in memory, almost like a ritual space to me.
    I never had the same experience of being fully present at any of the other great tracks I've driven like I had at the Bridge. Driving Bridgehamton fast was like reaching some higher level of consciousness, at least for me it was.
    God, I'm getting old!
    phil hunt

This was just posted recently... Yesterday at 4:17pm

Skip Barber... Mythbuster!

Skip Barber is at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Yesterday, he ran into a colleague who is close to but not in the racing business. He asked Skip, “Hey, so what’s Lime Rock doing since it doesn’t have any races this year?”

All Skip could do was muster a bemused smile... perplexed how even knowledgeable people can harbor misconceptions of that sort.

So Skip thought now would be a good time for Lime Rock Park to bust a few myths.

Herewith...

Myth: “Lime Rock Park doesn’t have any races this year.”
    Actual: The net result for Lime Rock of the merger of Grand-Am and ALMS is that we went from hosting five major events to three, and those three – IMSA Continental Tire Sports Cars/Porsche GT3 Cup, Historic Festival 32 , and the Trans-Am Season Finale – are big-field, exciting, solid race weekends, all with excellent support races. As usual, there are also the two SCCA races, including the NARRCS, a Lime Rock staple for more than 50 years.

Myth: “If a racing or driving club doesn’t schedule dates with Lime Rock in 2014, it has no hope of getting a date in the future.”
    Actual: Absolutely not true. Every winter, Lime Rock fields hundreds of calls and emails from parties interested in renting the track, skid pad, autocross and the chalets, and we’ve been pretty successful at accommodating most everyone, whether they are first-timers or long-time regulars. If an organization isn’t able to find workable dates or simply doesn’t have an interest in a 2014 event, we’ll figure out dates for them for 2015 and beyond. (Note to club organizers: If you have specific questions regarding traditional dates, corner workers, etc., please email Lime Rock’s Georgia Blades at [email protected].)

Myth: “Lime Rock closes in November and re-opens in April.”
    Actual: Nope. Lime Rock rents the autocross and hospitality chalets all year round, and even the 1.5-mile track is rentable under certain conditions. Not to mention that the Scheduling, Marketing, Accounting, Operations and Catering Departments are extremely busy preparing for the next season.

Myth: “Skip Barber wants to sell the track.”
    Actual: He’s not sure if he’s undecided (lol), but Skip’s current plan is not to live forever. And one day in the future, yes, he would like to sell the track. And yes, to someone who can ensure Lime Rock’s future. Please, no more golf course inquiries, ok? Skip is the ultimate caretaker of Lime Rock and will one day leave it to someone to do the same. Until then, the track remains in his hands.*

Myth: “Lime Rock has no cell- or smart-phone coverage.”
    Actual: Not true. There is a 3G AT&T cell tower (4G by April) between the two infield chalets, and last month Verizon activated a brand new 4G tower two miles up Route 7. We hear there is a good chance other carriers will rent space on the Verizon tower, too.

The bottom line is that Lime Rock Park is well-staged for a successful 2014 and beyond. Skip Barber has not lessened his ongoing commitment to continually improve both the fan and driver/competitor/team experience at Lime Rock Park. Go to limerock.com for the latest information, and we encourage your feedback by writing to us via [email protected].
    Last edited by StephenB; 01-15-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Yea, I read that. And it made me wonder if: I'm not alone in my comments, or B, somebody sent him this link.

But it doesn't alter my thoughts about the Professional relevance of the track. Sure a club can rent it. Heck, I bet more dates will open in 2015 as more tacks come on line. Skips just ignoring supply and demand there. Heck, he might have to LOWER the fee if he's not filling the place up....

And sorry, but calling those pro dates they have for 14 "big field exciting solid race weekends" is debatable. Conti is that. The others? To the average race fan, they lack relevance. Sorry, but LRP has ONE weekend this year (and it's shortened at that!) that is a desirable show.

But glad to see he's hyping the NARRCOFFS! Maybe NYR can get a break on the rental fee??
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Interesting email blast today from Skip looking for feedback. The questions certainly point to the fact that they "get it". However, it takes money... Time will tell...
    Jeremy Billiel

can you post it? I didn't get a copy. Or is he looking for just specific feedback from a select list.

Stephen

Here is the copy paste

Skip Barber... Mythbuster!Skip Barber is at the North American International*Auto Show in Detroit. Yesterday, he ran into a colleague who is close to but not in the racing business. He asked Skip, “Hey, so what’s Lime Rock doing since it doesn’t have any races this year?”All Skip could do was muster a bemused smile... perplexed how even knowledgeable people can harbor misconceptions of that sort.So Skip thought now would be a good time for Lime Rock Park to bust a few myths.Herewith...

Myth:*“Lime Rock Park doesn’t have any races this year.”
    Actual:*The net result for Lime Rock of the merger of Grand-Am and ALMS is that we went from hosting five major events to three, and those three – IMSA Continental Tire Sports Cars/Porsche GT3 Cup, Historic Festival 32 , and the Trans-Am Season Finale – are big-field, exciting, solid race weekends, all with excellent support races. As usual, there are also the two SCCA races, including the NARRCS, a Lime Rock staple for more than 50 years.

Myth:*“If a racing or driving club doesn’t schedule dates with Lime Rock in 2014, it has no hope of getting a date in the future.”
    Actual:*Absolutely not true. Every winter, Lime Rock fields hundreds of calls and emails from parties interested in renting the track, skid pad, autocross and the chalets, and we’ve been pretty successful at accommodating most everyone, whether they are first-timers or long-time regulars. If an organization isn’t able to find workable dates or simply doesn’t have an interest in a 2014 event, we’ll figure out dates for them for 2015 and beyond. (Note to club organizers: If you have specific questions regarding traditional dates, corner workers, etc., please email Lime Rock’s Georgia Blades at*[email protected].)

Myth:*“Lime Rock closes in November and re-opens in April.”
    Actual:*Nope. Lime Rock rents the autocross and hospitality chalets all year round, and even the 1.5-mile track is rentable under certain conditions. Not to mention that the Scheduling, Marketing, Accounting, Operations and Catering Departments are extremely busy preparing for the next season.

Myth:*“Skip Barber wants to sell the track.”
    Actual:*He’s not sure if he’s undecided (lol), but Skip’s current plan is not to live forever. And one day in the future, yes, he would like to sell the track. And yes, to someone who can ensure Lime Rock’s future. Please, no more golf course inquiries, ok? Skip is the ultimate caretaker of Lime Rock and will one day leave it to someone to do the same. Until then, the track remains in his hands.*

Myth:*“Lime Rock has no cell- or smart-phone coverage.”
    Actual:*Not true. There is a 3G AT&T cell tower (4G by April) between the two infield chalets, and last month Verizon activated a brand new 4G tower two miles up Route 7. We hear there is a good chance other carriers will rent space on the Verizon tower, too.

The bottom line is that Lime Rock Park is well-staged for a successful 2014 and beyond. Skip Barber has not lessened his ongoing commitment to continually improve both the fan and driver/competitor/team experience at Lime Rock Park. Go tolimerock.com*for the latest information, and we encourage your feedback by writing to us via*[email protected] you soon!Skip Barber, and all of us at Lime Rock Park860.435.5000
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

jeremy is that the email you speak of? Thats the one I got. Didn't seem like he's looking for ANY feedback on that one...
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

No seperate email...

Here is the survey link ---> http://fs20.formsite.com/LimeRockDri...?1390253124538
    Jeremy Billiel

Here is the email

The “20-20-20” Fan Survey Mega-Drawing
    20 questions. 20 prizes. $20 grand!

We have questions and you have the answers.

In Lime Rock Park’s ongoing quest to make your experience here as good as it can be, we are probing your minds.

Using a survey of 20 questions.

(Of course, you don't have to buy anything to take the survey and maybe win a prize. The only thing this is going to cost you is 5 minutes of your time. Thank you.)

To bribe you into completing the survey, we put the arm on some of Lime Rock Park’s sponsors and partners to donate big, valuable, super-cool prizes.

When we add up the values of all those prizes, it reaches more than $20,000.

Woof, right?

And here’s the best part...

On the survey, you choose to be entered into the drawings for each of three of the 20 prizes.

That’s right, three. Which means your odds of winning are likely to be increased for each different prize!

For example, if one of your choices is a “Lime Rock Tree in Your Name,” you’re only “competing” against the other survey responders who also chose “Tree.”

Anyway, please accept our bribe... which are chances to win valuable prizes by completing the survey.

You can go to the survey site by clicking here, or by clicking on the jpg image at the top of this email.

Detailed descriptions of each prize can be found below.

Have fun, and good luck!
    The Marketing Department at Lime Rock Park

Note: No prizes can be exchanged for any cash value. What you win is what you win!
    Total Value of all prizes: $20,655
    Survey ends midnight Eastern Time Friday, January 31, 2014
    Winners drawn and announced Valentine’s Day, Friday, February 14, 2014
    Survey respondents pick 3 prizes that they would like to be entered into a drawing for; you get 3 chances to win a prize.
    "20-20-20" drawing rules are at www.limerock.com; click here for rules
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“20-20-20 Survey” Prize Descriptions

Dinner for Two with Skip Barber at the Falls Village Inn, value... Priceless!
    We’re not sure how you put a value on an evening out with a legend, but we guaranty a fun, enlightening and very enjoyable time, at a renowned local restaurant and lounge

Three-Day Skip Barber Racing School at Lime Rock, value $4,500
    Choose between the formula race car school or the Mazda MX-5 Miata race car school

Two-Day Skip Barber High Performance Driving School at Lime Rock, value $3,300
    You’ll be driving high performance sports cars such as Porsches and Lexus’s, including some track time

One-Day Skip Barber Racing School at Lime Rock at Lime Rock, value $1,900
    Fundamentals of racing, driving both the formula and Mazda Miata race cars

One-Day Skip Barber High Performance Driving School at Lime Rock, value $1,900
    You’ll be driving high performance street cars such as Porsches and Lexus’s, including some track time

Strategy Graphics, LLC., Wall or Vehicle Graphics Package; Design, Materials & Installation, value $1,500
    Strategy Graphics is the Millerton, N.Y., company that does all the zoomy Lime Rock Pace Car graphics and most of the signage you see all around the facility. Strategy can design and install a package for your car, trailer, truck or even a wall in your den or garage.

Five Lime Rock “Open-Autocross Days,” value $1,125
    The extremely popular Lime Rock “Open-Enrollment Autocross Days” are when you bring your own car and then have a ton of fun driving it as fast as you can, in a fun, very safe environment (our Infield Autocross course, which is a mini-racetrack). The days cost $225 and this prize is for five of them (space available).

Lime Rock “55 TREES” Tree, value, $1,000
    Three years ago we initiated the “55 Trees: Planting or the Future” program. For $1,000, you choose a tree species from our arborist’s list, we plant it in the best location at Lime Rock for that kind of tree, and the tree ends up with a permanent plaque of dedication to whomever or whatever you name. How cool is that?

10-pack of Weekend Tickets, Historic Festival 32, Labor Day weekend, August 28 – September 1, value $1,000
    Lime Rock’s biggest, most diverse automotive and racing weekend! 300 race cars, 40 races, 250 Sunday in the Park Concours cars, 700 collectible cars, Swap Meet, Race Car Parade – HF32 has it all. Grab a whole bunch of your family and friends for the best vintage racing weekend east of the Mississippi!

Four-Pack 2014 Lime Rock Season Passes, value $920
    Gets you into every day of every race weekend, with Infield parking, on Lime Rock’s 2014 calendar: IMSA, Historic Festival, Trans-Am, plus two SCCA race weekends. Don’t bother with tickets – just have your family flash your Season Pass badges!

American Express Cash Gift Cards thanks to Clear Channel Media, $600
    Clear Channel Media – our very hooked-up music, radio and internet partner – has $600 worth of American Express Gift Cards. Use ‘em any way you want...

Two-Pack 2014 Lime Rock Season Passes, value $460
    Gets you into every day of every race weekend, with Infield parking, on Lime Rock’s 2014 calendar: IMSA, Historic Festival, Trans-Am, plus two SCCA race weekends. Don’t bother with tickets – just flash your Season Pass badges!

10-Pack of Weekend Tickets, IMSA Races & Sunday Royals Car Show, Memorial Day weekend, May 23 – 25, value $450
    The IMSA “Conti Tire” Challenge – some of the best stock car road racing in the world – is two big classes, Grand Sport (GS) and Street Tuner (ST). Plus, the U.S. version of the popular Euro Porsche GT3 Cup series! Capping the weekend: Sunday Royals Car Show, which draws 200-400 prime vehicles of every kind – from rare sports cars and contemporary supercars to hundreds of muscle cars from the 60s and 70s – and benefits local charities. Bring all your friends for a rollicking good time!

Two-Pack Mohegan Sun Fan Hospitality, Historic Festival 32, value $300
    The best way to experience a race day at Lime Rock is the VIP experience! Great food and drink, Infield parking, and a big, comfortable hospitality tent convenient to every part of the track.

Lime Rock Store Merchandise Gift Certificate, value $300
    For 2014, we have new designs, new items... lots of new!

10-pack of Weekend Tickets, Trans-Am, value $300
    America’s fastest, most powerful production-bodied sports cars are in the Trans-Am Series. Harkening back to its origins, Trans-Am is the playground for the “pony cars” – Chevy Camaros and Ford Mustangs with stock-block engines making more than 800 h.p., wrapped in tubeframe race chassis wearing iconic bodywork. A Trans-Am race is 100 frantic miles of wheel to wheel, nose to tail, hardcore American-style racing. Bring all your friends for a crazy-good time!

Two-Pack Mohegan Sun Fan Hospitality, IMSA races, value $250
    The best way to experience a race day at Lime Rock is the VIP experience! Great food and drink, Infield parking, and a big, comfortable hospitality tent convenient to every part of the track.

Two-Pack Mohegan Sun Fan Hospitality, Trans-Am, value $250

Lime Rock Store Merchandise Gift Certificate, value $200
    For 2014, we have new designs, new items... lots of new!

Lime Rock Store Merchandise Gift Certificate, value $100
    For 2014, we have new designs, new items... lots off
    Last edited by Jeremy Billiel; 01-21-2014 at 10:33 PM.
    Jeremy Billiel

Got it. The questions at the end...."which would you like to win?" Really? Somebody would PREFER to win less tickets than more? A CHEAPER SKippy class? LOL. ANd I hope Skips feelings aren't hurt that he's not going to get a landslide of votes over a 3 day Skippy Competition Course!
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

So....how would you sell a track that you have already sold bits and pieces of? Aren't the Lime Rock Club people deeded owners? I thought they had a timeshare style ownership?
    That will add some red tape, won't it?
    Or was it done differently?
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

Jake, some people may have the attitude that everyone else is going to be selecting the big prize and feel their odds are much better at some of the smaller ones. Bet they are too. Yet I really don't care about credits to the LRP store or some of the other items.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by StephF View Post
    So....how would you sell a track that you have already sold bits and pieces of? Aren't the Lime Rock Club people deeded owners?
    As I understand it, it was not arranged as a partnership, rather than as a membership org similar to a golf club. If that's correct, then it's still owned 100% by Skip Barber or the LLC/Corp he formed to own it.

Greg

That is correct Greg.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing