Thread: Oil Filter choice

Default Oil Filter choice

I have a 300ZX ITS car. I use the stock oil filter location. Any recommendation on what brand filter would work best?

TIA timo
    timo

I used the OE Nissan filters on my VG and VE, but that was back when Nissan made the quality filters that weren't madeinChina.

There are also some Toyota filters that worked well that have the proper anti-drainback valve to keep the top end happy at startup.
    Toyota: 90915-YZZA2

Another comment from a Maxima guy (Maximas used VG30E and VE30DE)
    FL-1A motorcraft fits perfect, and filter is large holding a quart. Has a silicone anti drain back valve as well. The smaller FL-400S works as well, or the short version of the fl-1a, forgot motor craft number, bit cross reference frams ph16
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Thanks Matt! I have limited room due to the header but will try the Ford ones.
    timo

The Ford ones are good filters--been using them for ages. Before that it was Purolator Pure Ones.

The Ford Filters--actually Motorcraft--are always available cheap at Wal Mart.

The Toyota filters are relatively small.

You could also use the filters from the newer VQ35 engines. The threads match up, but the gasket diameter on some of them may be smaller as they're MUCH smaller filters. not exactly best choice, but if you have clearance issues it's something to consider.

Can you relocate oil filters in ITS? If you have clearance problems, that just gives you more reason to relocate the filter to a more convenient place..
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    The Toyota filters are relatively small.

Can you relocate oil filters in ITS? If you have clearance problems, that just gives you more reason to relocate the filter to a more convenient place..
    Yes you can, but there's not a lot of room on that side of the motor and I'd like to keep things as they are. I suppose I could tap in to the cooling lines.

The problem is with the filter height - any longer than stock and it will be difficult to back the filter off the stud. I'll check it out when the weather warms up....

Thanks for the advice!
    timo

I've been using K&N filters on the 240SX in the stock location. The filters are pretty much the same size as others. You'd have to compare them for your car.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    I've been using K&N filters on the 240SX in the stock location. The filters are pretty much the same size as others. You'd have to compare them for your car.

David

Just looking at the specs. The K&N has a 10 micron filter and the Motorcraft has a 20 micron. The K&N does not have a bypass like the Motorcraft but hell the thing gets changed so often I can;t see this being an issue. I'll try the K&N. $6 at Summit
    timo

The Wix filters are good and are sold under the name of Napa gold. They have a good cross reference on their web site as well as listing the thread size (3/4-16) so you can look at other cars with a similar thread.

Timo - PM sent for details on relocating the filter. I've done it on two ITS 300's, it actually makes filter changes easier.

Matt