Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Paint?

Don't stop there Jason. Post the angry pig pics.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Don't do this.

Done in my garage. Blue metallic base with a custom House of Kolors Kandy green checkerboard pattern and clear over it all.. What was I THINKING of when I thought 'This could be neat" ???

If you do your own, I suggest getting a HVLP gun WITH the turbine, which eliminates the compressor and line drier and standard suction feed gun. An HVLP system fro Fuji (I think) works well and is reasonable $$

On edit: this pic was years after it was first painted. Afte a few visits to off track areas. And it was straight off Road Atlanta complete with clay dust and and klag marks...so it's got 'patina'
    Last edited by lateapex911; 01-02-2014 at 11:16 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I did the Rustoleum paint job on our LeMons car and it was an absolute nightmare. By the time you get the paint thin enough to spray in a regular 'automotive gun', it required several coats just to get coverage. (didn't help we were going from black to white!)

But the paint takes foreeeeever to dry, and that dust gets everywhere and stays sticky for days. we also had cars outside when I painted the thing, and cars 150' away still had to be clayed and buffed to get rid of the leftovers carried by the wind.

There is also a lot more labor involved in getting a rustoleum paint job to look good-- so much labor that I would rather pay $300 for a gallon of paint and do it in a weekend vs. $30/gallon and take 3 weekends!
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7