Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New England Region IT EZ

ITC69 - Do you mean "Fast Reply"? Random post btw.

Dick, think of the SCCA as a party host who organizes crack parties at various crack houses where crack addicts show up with their devices, buy crack from a dealer (smarty) and have at it. Before new addicts show up and partake, we'll need to advertise a little and do some pushing.

What's the plan?
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by ITC69 View Post
    I have emailed this thread to the new Area 12 Director; Chief Steward for the Roebling Road Driver's School, and the new Atlanta Region RE, with a suggestion that the SEDIV adopt the NER's IT-EZ class. I'm only one voice out in the wilderness, so if you are interested in seeing this happen in SEDIV add your voice to the proposal by contacting your Area Director, RE, etc.
    I think that Atlanta already has something like this with their ITX class. Not sure all the details, as it's not really my place to know. But what I do know is that a couple of cars have shown up for the past couple years, including the ARRC, to run this class. The guys that do it have been having a lot of fun. The one team has a couple past ARRC winners on it, then they have another team mate or two multi-dip the car in different races and the PDX. That's sort of the idea behind the Chump cars, they get used among a team. Whether it's in sprints or enduros, I think the plan is sound.

My car is sort of on the border between an IT car and a Chump, and I've run it in both venues. My fun also comes from sharing it with friends. It also runs on the ice in winter and the occasional autocross, and almost always has a different guest driver or three.

As Mickey is alluding to, I think it would be a good idea to try to advertise this a little. Even if it's just banners on the race cars like what Chip was pitching. When the cars move around to different venues, as mine does, it may generate some interest.

I don't care about the tires at the end of the day. Run what you want. If they are Chump cars, they will want to stay on streets probably, just because the Chumpy setup will be better on the lower grip tires. If not, then they'll run what they had.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post

What's the plan?
    the plan is to come up with a catch all class that welcomes alternate prep cars to race with NER SCCA and start a conversation on a few web boards hoping that those of you who are younger and more social media savvy than I will talk about it and some cars will show up and find out we have fun.

Then depending on what kind of cars show up if any see if we need to do some additional classing to make them want to come back.

so far I am on Plan
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

catch-all to other existing SCCA racecars.

What I had really said was for car with current log books that have a home, I didn't feel SCCA should take into consideration those cars when developing the rules. As you said, it's about the crapcan type cars.
    There have been enough instances where rules are opened up rather than vice versa. Since we're talking IT, a rather significant one was the ECU. Some might aruge it was really the washer bottle though.
    I've always thought it's easier to give people something more in the future than take it away. Oh well.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I have built a fair number of cages for the Chump/Lemons guys as of late. One recent one is a couple of local to me guys. Very nice guys. But there view on how to make a fast lap is very different from your average club racer. They are putting a V6 that they hope to make 350hp in a under 2000lb MR2. And they feel its all about straight line speed. Now if you mix this type of thinking in with your regular IT momentum type cars, it may not end well. And I cannot imagine with all the "we have to many classes/race group thinking, that you would want to add another race group to accomodate this class. I know thinking "outside the box" to attract more(younger) racers is the goal and its a good concept, but..... Oh and a the fact that most of the guys I have worked with are digruntled ex club racers does not bode well for them coming our way. But time will tell and I hope it helps the club. God knows are numbers are dropping fast.
    Chris

Dick or others involved in this -

I realize this is an NER region deal. Will other regions who host races at tracks within the NER owned tracks also allow this regional class as well? Many (most?) racers never really care or think all that much which region is hosting the event at the tracks within that region.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

[QUOTE=mossaidis;352362]ITC69 - Do you mean "Fast Reply"? Random post btw.

woops, was caused by fat fingering of keyboard
    comment was deleted - please see my other comment.
    JOHN E. FINE
    2012 SEDIV ITC ECR CHAMPION
    2011 SEDIV ITC ECR CHAMPION
    2010 SEDIV ITC ECR CHAMPION

Quote Originally Posted by zchris View Post
    I have built a fair number of cages for the Chump/Lemons guys as of late. One recent one is a couple of local to me guys. Very nice guys. But there view on how to make a fast lap is very different from your average club racer. They are putting a V6 that they hope to make 350hp in a under 2000lb MR2. And they feel its all about straight line speed. Now if you mix this type of thinking in with your regular IT momentum type cars, it may not end well. And I cannot imagine with all the "we have to many classes/race group thinking, that you would want to add another race group to accomodate this class. I know thinking "outside the box" to attract more(younger) racers is the goal and its a good concept, but..... Oh and a the fact that most of the guys I have worked with are digruntled ex club racers does not bode well for them coming our way. But time will tell and I hope it helps the club. God knows are numbers are dropping fast.
    Chris
    the corner straight thing has always been there. I just love racing with 200hp SSB cars.

Once opon a time the solo community was one place club racing attracted guys looking for the next thrill. Way too many of those guys are now going to LeChump. We need to fix that.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Dick or others involved in this -

I realize this is an NER region deal. Will other regions who host races at tracks within the NER owned tracks also allow this regional class as well? Many (most?) racers never really care or think all that much which region is hosting the event at the tracks within that region.
    Well you are only describing two events. Mo Hud is working with NER at Thompson and I am sure they will run our classes. As to the Narrc off the New York does in October at Lime Rock I have no idea, I have not spoken to them, but they have 10 months to decide.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

So Ive been reading this and am kind of perplexed. Where does it say its for Lemons and Chump cars only????

Seems to me there are plenty of other organizations that have cars that will meet the SCCA Safty and not quite fit other classes. BMWCCA, PCA, SCCNH,New England Hillclimb Association, Rally America, NASA Performance Touring, EMRA ST.

We dont want to say "Hey Subaru Rally Team USA, you should call Team ONiel and bring some 2wd rally cars and get the Hillclimb BMWs to show up and dont forget the NASA/EMRA Guys too and get some Wheel To wheel racing and Tarmac Practice" Oh wait you need 180tw Dunlopstonegoodriches or you cant run. This is a class for Crap Cans. Your not invited.

Or did I read the rule wrong and its not a class for Cars that don't fit into any individual SCCA class but meet SCCA Safety and dont fit in the Fast Group. Its really a class for Lechump cars only and the rules are misleading.

Just food for thought, there are other organizations that would have cars for this as well.
    Last edited by Dano77; 12-19-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    All posts are made by a fat old guy with a crappy old car that isnt supported by a factory anymore and therefore should not be taken seriously, EVER

We buy our tires at WalMart 205/50-15 NT-01 $148.00 last all season and go faster as they wear out........

Driver Skills Development, 7's Racing Skunk Works
    it7racing.com

could also be a nice place for IT7's to double dip
    Jason Carroll - NER IT7 #07

Exactly!!!!!!!!

But I already have a Crap Can with Class.
    All posts are made by a fat old guy with a crappy old car that isnt supported by a factory anymore and therefore should not be taken seriously, EVER

We buy our tires at WalMart 205/50-15 NT-01 $148.00 last all season and go faster as they wear out........

Driver Skills Development, 7's Racing Skunk Works
    it7racing.com

Quote Originally Posted by georgethefierce View Post
    could also be a nice place for IT7's to double dip
    "I know we have softened on the whole appearance thing for the ITEZ cars, but those over there are just way out of bounds. We have to maintain some acceptable level of standards!"

"That's the IT7 crowd, sir."

IMPROVED TOURING ENDURO (Class designation = ITE)
    The purpose of the ITE class is to allow vehicles from other professional race
    Series, Pro-Rally, Showroom Stock (those not otherwise eligible for IT or SS) and equivalent marquee club classes to compete at a regional level. No guarantee of competitiveness or equality is expressed or implied.
    To that end, the ITE rules and guidelines are that ALL VEHICLES MUST:
    - Meet (at minimum) current Improved Touring safety specifications.
    - Run DOT approved street radials; tire brand is free. However, wheel and tire Specifications must be per the original series rules. Original series (except Pro-Rally) must have run exclusively on DOT tires.
    - Compete in their declared series specification, except for tire brand & modifications, to meet SCCA safety specs.
    - Display current SCCA Club racing decals; all other sanctioning bodies' Identification must be removed or covered.
    - Posses an SCCA (only) vehicle logbook and roll cage number.
    - Meet the current SCCA sound requirements.
    ALL COMPETITORS MUST conform to current SCCA General Competition Rules.
    ALL ENTRANTS MUST have in their possession, and available to tech personnel or the Chief Steward, the "Series Rulebooks and specification sheets" (IMSA Rulebook, SCCA Pro-Racing rulebook, Pro-Rally rulebook, etc.) and an official manufacturer’s shop manual(s) to authenticate the vehicle in its state / condition of preparation.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by dtanthon View Post
    The purpose of the ITE class is to allow vehicles from other professional race series, Pro-Rally, Showroom Stock (those not otherwise eligible for IT or SS) and equivalent marquee club classes to compete at a regional level.
    That right there kinda kills off the crapcan cars....

Besides, ITE is typically dropped into the biger bore groups, such as AS, STU/STO, etc. not really appropriate for the class of cars we're talking about. - GA

Quote Originally Posted by Dano77 View Post
    So Ive been reading this and am kind of perplexed. Where does it say its for Lemons and Chump cars only????

Seems to me there are plenty of other organizations that have cars that will meet the SCCA Safty and not quite fit other classes. BMWCCA, PCA, SCCNH,New England Hillclimb Association, Rally America, NASA Performance Touring, EMRA ST.

We dont want to say "Hey Subaru Rally Team USA, you should call Team ONiel and bring some 2wd rally cars and get the Hillclimb BMWs to show up and dont forget the NASA/EMRA Guys too and get some Wheel To wheel racing and Tarmac Practice" Oh wait you need 180tw Dunlopstonegoodriches or you cant run. This is a class for Crap Cans. Your not invited.

Or did I read the rule wrong and its not a class for Cars that don't fit into any individual SCCA class but meet SCCA Safety and dont fit in the Fast Group. Its really a class for Lechump cars only and the rules are misleading.

Just food for thought, there are other organizations that would have cars for this as well.
    well that is the whole point. the conversation is focused on LeChump type cars but the reason this got traction is we see cars now and they that are basically IT cars but not really legal. With our current rules you either have to put them in ITE which as said runs with bog bore or look the other way about legality.

hence IT EZ is born. if you show up with an ITB cars with the wrong wheels no problem, if you show up with a car with a fiberglass hood, no problem we have a place to put you that it is a safe group to race. So as long as we are doing this why not open it up to other cars that also might want race at our great events. Now we have a way.

so lets day a bunch of folks show up and run in this class that are of similar prep and want fairer racing. well that is easy. we have already demonstrated to the old guard that the cars and drivers are safe, we can easily create a class.

so that is the deal. you and five of your buddies have an idea for a great new rule set, NER is giving you a place to come and race your cars and if you all are as smart as you think you are and people like your idea you get your own class just like you want it.

now get out in the garage and build your car.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    "I know we have softened on the whole appearance thing for the ITEZ cars, but those over there are just way out of bounds. We have to maintain some acceptable level of standards!"

"That's the IT7 crowd, sir."

LOL!

Dick, I think you are doing this exactly right. There are also quite a few HPDE type cars that folks have built that have engine swaps etc.

and you guys are providing them a place/class to race and experience SCCA and it is up to the rest of us at the rack to make the experience worth returning to.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    LOL!

Dick, I think you are doing this exactly right. There are also quite a few HPDE type cars that folks have built that have engine swaps etc.

and you guys are providing them a place/class to race and experience SCCA and it is up to the rest of us at the rack to make the experience worth returning to.
    Amen Brother Tom
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

The ITEZ rule is the same as the ITE rule. ??
    Last years NE ITE winner was the Turbo VW?? Why not run the R cars in the ITE class designation and the 180 cars in the ITEZ class , same group? Solves all of our issues.. And keeps the ITEZ inside of the rule set for the cars interested. The other (R tire) double dippers can simply run ITE in the same group and get another race.

FOR SCCA to gain some of the orphan cars, we need to address this market with a big picture plan. Somewhat similar to the Chumpemons marketing.
    We need some sort of nationwide rules agreement. The 180 tires and SCCA safety were the standard minimum parameters. The engine size or power is used some places depending on local interest and cars.

We need a " ITEZ coordinator" to take all of this data and post it on a site that "Google" can find.

We need to have a nationwide schedule posted in an easy access fashion . dedicated website to the ITEZ??

We need a PR person to put out PR to relative points of interest. face Book, "Grassroots", " Racer" etc. With lead time!!
    Not 60days.

Face it , posting " we want Chumpcars" on the SCCA site and in the SCCA regional papers, just bites us in the ass. ( many comments drive away outsiders).

We need to find the demographic and hit it. The few Chumps that read these boards are already SCCA memebers. (waste of time as is most of this.)
    Doing little blurbs here and there , waste of time.

How can one get all of the races, rules, etc and post them in one place?
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

I give up.