Thread: New England Region IT EZ

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    The point of this, I believe, isn't to be a catch-all to other existing SCCA racecars. We have enough of those already.
    I disagree, Dave; it's most assuredly intended to be a catch-all for cars that cannot fit anywhere else. A lot of these crapcan cars simply will not fit into anything else, especially given non-standard modifications. I know this because it has been a point of discussion among some hierarchy for some time on how to incorporate "crapcan" racing into the stodgy SCCA structure.

Couple this to the whole Racing Experience program and a street tire "mandate" is completely misplaced within the philosophy and intent of these programs, which are all about everything but mandates; they're the anti-mandates.

- GA

Chumpemons has very few rules. One is safety the other is tires.
    Racing is all about applied HP. If you are not matted on the gas , the 400Hp does you no good. Shitty tires wont let you mat the pedal as soon.
    Low grip tires do even up the pack by limiting applied HP.. both accelerating and stopping. The big power cars take a much longer time to get past a faster exiting lighter car. Shitty tires also stop longer but the overall pack is pretty similar. Lower grip= better racing for a lot of reasons. Spring rates are lower, shocks less important, blah blah ..
    More grip simply cost more to run, brakes, fuel, tires, suspension all cost more at higher G loads.
    The extreme example of this is ice racing where many cars are door to door for many laps with a huge sample of HP levels.

As noted if the 180TW is not popular, it is easy to change. But very hard to change to a 180 Rule if anyone has R tires.

Every venue that has gone to a faster, more expensive tire has seen a decrease in racers. (SM has new well funded blood) but many SM guys are also running STL or EP to get away from the crack.

AS far as SCCA Chumpemons,promotion goes. You will get banned from the CC forum for discussing any other venue. FB is pretty good, "Grassroots" is best. Print ad in Road and track, grassroots. a nice little PR sent someplaces.

The real issue I see is that we have very few races with any lead time to get the word out. CC post their schedule on their web site in NOV. for the next year.
    I was trying to gather some dates but you have to look all over the net to find any SCCA dates.

Compare the Chumpcar site to any site that SCCA has. Right on the home page is the schedule for all to see. There is no easy access to our SCCA schedule.
    We need a "SCCA Touring Car"( or EZ Touring car") home site that is simple with 10 doors or less, with a nationwide schedule on the front page. A 1 click page for the overview of our racing program.
    I think that each category should have it's own official site, promoting their own agenda. Prod, GT, Touring, EZTC?
    WE have so many people/regions involved it just gets sloppy to find anything. Look at the NASA 25 hr? good coverage , big ads.

When I posted my "crap can rules". My hits went to over 100 per day on that page. Why? google up "crapcan racing". Now google up IT racing. next try IT EZ ,
    Google "FWD racing".
    "SCCA touring car" comes up with terry 's jersey challenge.
    You will see why I push for the "crapcan" title , in spite of the down sides to it.

"EZ Touring Car" by SCCA. might be good.

Google is my friend.
    FB page might help

WE need google to hit upon a easy to navigate site. We need a nationwide schedule and compatible rules with other sanctions for EZ cross over.

GA ,I will look in the barn for the 300TW tires for the STL car.
    Raymond. I am very interested in the Rocco. I called you.
    MM

Mike Ogren/ ProtechRacing
    1220 Broad St.-US 41
    Masaryktown,FL. 34604
    352/428/8983
    www.fwdracingguide.com
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Greg is right (god did I just say that). ITEZ is a catch all class. There is absolutely no guarantee of competitiveness. And Dave the only other one we have up here at this prep level is ITE which is very fast and runs with big bore.
    IT EZ is an opportunity for LeChump and other orphans to race with NER SCCA. I have no idea how many if any LeChumpers want to race with us. Some say they are not interested in a sprint format. If we actually have a LeChump level cars show up it will be easy to create a class for them but first we need to PROVE that there is a demand.
    NER has a pretty good series in 2014. 6 weekends, three tracks, it is going to be a good place to race.
    Dave and Mike you both said put the cars of street tires now and it will be easy to change later. Are you guys on crack? Have you not met SCCA? All rule sets get more restrictive as a class matures. Adding a tire rule will be easy (or more likely adding a street tire class) if there is demand. Removing a restriction from the rules shakes the club at its very foundation.
    So stop arguing. The rules do not have a street tire restriction. If you want one stop arguing on the internet and show up with a crap box at our events. I will not even consider a street tire class unless racers prove a little demand.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I have emailed this thread to the new Area 12 Director; Chief Steward for the Roebling Road Driver's School, and the new Atlanta Region RE, with a suggestion that the SEDIV adopt the NER's IT-EZ class. I'm only one voice out in the wilderness, so if you are interested in seeing this happen in SEDIV add your voice to the proposal by contacting your Area Director, RE, etc.
    JOHN E. FINE
    2012 SEDIV ITC ECR CHAMPION
    2011 SEDIV ITC ECR CHAMPION
    2010 SEDIV ITC ECR CHAMPION

Quote Originally Posted by ITC69 View Post
    I have emailed this thread to the new Area 12 Director; Chief Steward for the Roebling Road Driver's School, and the new Atlanta Region RE, with a suggestion that the SEDIV adopt the NER's IT-EZ class. I'm only one voice out in the wilderness, so if you are interested in seeing this happen in SEDIV add your voice to the proposal by contacting your Area Director, RE, etc.
    I think that Atlanta already has something like this with their ITX class. Not sure all the details, as it's not really my place to know. But what I do know is that a couple of cars have shown up for the past couple years, including the ARRC, to run this class. The guys that do it have been having a lot of fun. The one team has a couple past ARRC winners on it, then they have another team mate or two multi-dip the car in different races and the PDX. That's sort of the idea behind the Chump cars, they get used among a team. Whether it's in sprints or enduros, I think the plan is sound.

My car is sort of on the border between an IT car and a Chump, and I've run it in both venues. My fun also comes from sharing it with friends. It also runs on the ice in winter and the occasional autocross, and almost always has a different guest driver or three.

As Mickey is alluding to, I think it would be a good idea to try to advertise this a little. Even if it's just banners on the race cars like what Chip was pitching. When the cars move around to different venues, as mine does, it may generate some interest.

I don't care about the tires at the end of the day. Run what you want. If they are Chump cars, they will want to stay on streets probably, just because the Chumpy setup will be better on the lower grip tires. If not, then they'll run what they had.

Will

ITC69 - Do you mean "Fast Reply"? Random post btw.

Dick, think of the SCCA as a party host who organizes crack parties at various crack houses where crack addicts show up with their devices, buy crack from a dealer (smarty) and have at it. Before new addicts show up and partake, we'll need to advertise a little and do some pushing.

What's the plan?
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post

What's the plan?
    the plan is to come up with a catch all class that welcomes alternate prep cars to race with NER SCCA and start a conversation on a few web boards hoping that those of you who are younger and more social media savvy than I will talk about it and some cars will show up and find out we have fun.

Then depending on what kind of cars show up if any see if we need to do some additional classing to make them want to come back.

so far I am on Plan
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

catch-all to other existing SCCA racecars.

What I had really said was for car with current log books that have a home, I didn't feel SCCA should take into consideration those cars when developing the rules. As you said, it's about the crapcan type cars.
    There have been enough instances where rules are opened up rather than vice versa. Since we're talking IT, a rather significant one was the ECU. Some might aruge it was really the washer bottle though.
    I've always thought it's easier to give people something more in the future than take it away. Oh well.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I have built a fair number of cages for the Chump/Lemons guys as of late. One recent one is a couple of local to me guys. Very nice guys. But there view on how to make a fast lap is very different from your average club racer. They are putting a V6 that they hope to make 350hp in a under 2000lb MR2. And they feel its all about straight line speed. Now if you mix this type of thinking in with your regular IT momentum type cars, it may not end well. And I cannot imagine with all the "we have to many classes/race group thinking, that you would want to add another race group to accomodate this class. I know thinking "outside the box" to attract more(younger) racers is the goal and its a good concept, but..... Oh and a the fact that most of the guys I have worked with are digruntled ex club racers does not bode well for them coming our way. But time will tell and I hope it helps the club. God knows are numbers are dropping fast.
    Chris

[QUOTE=mossaidis;352362]ITC69 - Do you mean "Fast Reply"? Random post btw.

woops, was caused by fat fingering of keyboard
    comment was deleted - please see my other comment.
    JOHN E. FINE
    2012 SEDIV ITC ECR CHAMPION
    2011 SEDIV ITC ECR CHAMPION
    2010 SEDIV ITC ECR CHAMPION