Thread: January 2014 Fastrack

Default January 2014 Fastrack

January Fastrack Preliminary Minutes/Tech Bulletin

12/09/13- Preliminary Minutes
    12/09/13- Preliminary Tech Bulletin

What Do You Think
    ITR
    1. #11955 (Lee Niffenegger) Move 2006-Up Civic SI from ITS to ITR
    The Club Racing Board seeks your input on this question. Please submit responses to crbscca.com. Should the 2006-2008 Civic Si remain in ITS at 3000 lbs or be moved to ITR at 2605 lbs?
    ITS
    1. #11724 (Willie Phee) Classify Acura TSX in ITS
    The Club Racing Board requests member feedback for this question. Please submit letters to crbscca.com. Should the 04-08 Acura TSX remain as currently classified in ITR at 2760 lbs or be moved to ITS at a weight of 3175 lbs?

I sent a letter to the ITAC/CRB (http://crbscca.com/) pointing out that no matter what you do, you're gonna piss someone off, likely someone already running or building a car. So let's stop dancing this silly little "where do you want this car to be?" tango and approve dual classifications in Improved Touring.

Done. - GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    What Do You Think
    ITR
    The Club Racing Board seeks your input on this question. Please submit responses to crbscca.com. Should the 2006-2008 Civic Si remain in ITS at 3000 lbs or be moved to ITR at 2605 lbs?
    ITS
    The Club Racing Board requests member feedback for this question. Please submit letters to crbscca.com. Should the 04-08 Acura TSX remain as currently classified in ITR at 2760 lbs or be moved to ITS at a weight of 3175 lbs?

I sent a letter to the ITAC/CRB (http://crbscca.com/) pointing out that no matter what you do, you're gonna piss someone off, likely someone already running or building a car. So let's stop dancing this silly little "where do you want this car to be?" tango and approve dual classifications in Improved Touring.

Done. - GA
    When my "tweener" 99 Civic Si was classed, there was some back and forth between people wanting it in ITA at higher weight, because there were plenty of former SSC cars that could have run without a massive stripping-down effort. After initial claims the car could not make ITS weight, some builds claimed it could, so it was moved to ITS. The argument for that procedure was, as I was told, that "we want every car in the class where it has its lowest attainable weight."

I can see the merit of this approach, but it seems inconsistent with what they do now, ie ask people about their preferences. As Greg said, this approach will piss people off no matter which way it goes; with a consistent "lowest reasonably attainable weight" procedure, there'd be at least a consistent rule to point to that would prevent some of the bickering and arguing, and perpetual requests for reclassifications.

Yes, dual classifications would be the way to go IMO. No violation of the process, with the downside of request for power/weight assessments, special allowances, etc being submitted for the same car in 2 classes; I'd assume the increase of such letters would be rather mild though, since most cars are pretty firmly planted in one class.

EDIT: Dual classifications would also lower the entry barrier for new car builds, and mix up the competition. Beginner car and not worried yet about winning? Leave your fresh build at the heavier weight, leave the sound dampening and nasty underside coating on and the glass in and go racing. Car a bit of an underdog in one class? Maybe try the other; could increase diversity in the fields.
    Last edited by Kai Noeske; 12-11-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata

I'd assume the increase of such letters would be rather mild though, since most cars are pretty firmly planted in one class.
    It would be interesting to see how that played out. I'd be curious at what weight and if my car could be competitive in ITA.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

What Do You Think
    ITR
    ITS

Done. - GA
    Or we could be charitable and assume that they aren't asking who will get pissed but instead are uncertain whether the car can reasonably make the ITR and want input.

I also don't have a problem with dual classifications, especially if a car is being moved from one class to another.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    Or we could be charitable and assume that they aren't asking who will get pissed but instead are uncertain whether the car can reasonably make the ITR and want input.
    Then since we don't know, let's dual-classify them and let the competitors do all the figuring out for us, instead of using WAG and POOMA.

Open market and all that.

I also don't have a problem with dual classifications, especially if a car is being moved from one class to another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Noeske View Post
    Yes, dual classifications would be the way to go IMO.
    Then write a letter.

http://crbscca.com
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 12-11-2013 at 01:37 PM.

I LOVE the off-season. To make things easier for tGA, I have updated my signature.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    I LOVE the off-season. To make things easier for tGA, I have updated my signature.

What Do You Think
    ITR
    ITS

Done. - GA
    Agreed... Letter sent!

- Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Why not let them race in either class and let the weight decide

Because.

Dual classification is against SCCA philosophy... oh miata... Never-mind :-)

I AM 100% FOR dual classing. I have yet to ever hear 1 good reason not to other than "because we don't do that"

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    I have yet to ever hear 1 good reason not to other than "because we don't do that"

Stephen
    it will confuse the spectators.....oh wait
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Dual class makes sense unless it bounces over the cage size limits.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

crossing cage size/ car weight limits is a problem with straight reclassing too. of the 3 cars we considered last month, 2 cross the 2700# threshold moving up or down. 1 is up for member input (06-09 Civic Si), the other was denied, again (99-00 Civic Si). the TSX is safe by 60#, and depending on what permutation of the ITR process you like, it might have dropped under (I'm guessing, I haven't checked). though being on the cusp is an easier place to just opt for the "heavier" cage than when you are fighting for ounces 300# below it.

I personally have no objection to dual classing, but I respect that some others do. we'll have to discuss it on committee and see where we stand. send letters if you feel strongly about it.

I'm not personally fond of dual classing, but I'll read any letters to that effect with great interest.

One of the sticky points on some of these cars is that they also have stock HP numbers outside the typical envelope for the class (Civic Si is certainly one in ITA, but there are others to be looked at).

In the end, there is also another factor in *my* mind- if the car works in both classes numbers-wise, where does it "fit"? In the case of the Civic, my feeling is it's a better fit in ITA, but the numbers are such that it seemed better in ITS. When I joined the ITAC, it was actually one of about 10 cars that I "processed" on my own to see where the numbers all were and to get completely familiar with the process math. When the numbers didn't work, I checked the ITAC letter history. If I didn't find it, I asked why, and learned more about the decisions and how they get made.

Personally, I'd like to put several cars out to the membership that are fence-sitters. tGA- you can make fun of me if you desire, but I'd prefer to get member input in more cases. We are an *appointed* body, overseen by another appointed body, who answers to people elected to run the entire club (side note: when typing "run", I mistyped it as "ruin". Freudian slip?). I don't want to bog down the process, but *at least* in cases where we on the ITAC can't clearly see one way or another, I'd prefer the member input process. But, as I said, that's because I'd prefer *not* to dual classify.

To go to the oft-cited nth degree, why wouldn't we dual classify everything? In fact, why not just adopt the system where we post stock hp, process multiplier, and adders for every car for confirmation purposes, and then allow a competitor to pick their own class? I could conceivably run an 83-86 Camarobird in ITS at 3370 (195hp stock, 1.3 multiplier, +100 torque)... Not sure if I'd get the 10.5" front discs to last 20 laps at Summit (let alone other tracks), but hey, that's my problem... Especially since I'm really not sure I'm going to be able to get down to its classified weight in ITR. Please keep in mind this question is NOT meant to be sarcastic by any means, as I'd actually like to know if people think this would be The Way To Go (TM). I would've used my ITB Charger as an example, but there is NO WAY I could legally get the car down to its sub-2000-pound ITA weight...

Final thought- since our statement of class philosphy specifically mentions that dual-classifications aren't part of the plan, then we'd need to run that up the CRB/BoD flagpole for approval, and I for one would sure as heck want member input for that...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyRacer View Post
    To go to the oft-cited nth degree, why wouldn't we dual classify everything?
    We kind of do already. First-gen CRX si is in three classes....

I could conceivably run an 83-86 Camarobird in ITS at 3370 (195hp stock, 1.3 multiplier, +100 torque)... Not sure if I'd get the 10.5" front discs to last 20 laps at Summit (let alone other tracks), but hey, that's my problem... Especially since I'm really not sure I'm going to be able to get down to its classified weight in ITR.
    IMO, such a car would be the target for dual classification as it is neither fish nor fowl. Too piggy to be an ITR car and too hard to woe to be an ITS car. I wouldn't build one because of that, but it appears at least one person has wood over the car -- let them decide where it races.

And if you are moving a car down a class, leave it in both. I know I'd be really pissed off I owned a mid-pack ITB car that got dropped to ITC. I'd much rather be working hard for 9th place in a 16-car field than being guaranteed a second place finish.

I don't like it (dual classification).

In almost all cases, there generally IS a "right" class for the car that comes from acheivable weight and achievable HP. If someone is asking for a dual classification, in my opinion, at least in some cases they know something the ITAC doesn't and are seeking an advantage.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    We kind of do already. First-gen CRX si is in three classes....
    What three IT classes is it in?
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)