Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: driving gloves and shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by RX555 View Post
    +1 for external seam gloves.
    I'd avoid any gloves made with the Carbon X. I had a pair that fit great but wore holes in them in about one season. They just fell apart. A buddy of mine had the same experience. And I had a balaclava do the same thing.

Funny. I had the exact opposite happen with my G-Force Nomex socks and balaclava.. The socks lasted two events before my big toe was sticking out. Bought Carbon X socks and balaclava about 2-3 years ago and other than fading to a medium grey, they still wear and feel like new. YMMV.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Some late replies having been through a few brands...

Started racing with Autopro shoes and gloves - I think they're basically the G-Force brand now. LOVED the shoes, inexpensive, comfy, impressively durable. Got 10 long seasons out of 'em. The gloves sucked though, replaced 'em as soon as I could afford to.

Gloves... went through a few pairs of OMPs, nice enough but not spectacular and didn't last more than a couple of seasons each. Then I got Alpinestar gloves (more correctly, Valentine's Day present from my wife)... Damn awesome. I believe durability is good, but have to admit that my time spent in racecars since I bought them has been dramatically eclipsed by the time I spend under the damn cars... so can't really give good feedback about durability.

That said, we've been through a LOT of Sparco gear recently, seems like their stuff has really gone shabby, where the Alpinestar stuff seems to hold up much better...

As for shoes, after finally wearing through the Autopro shoes in 10 seasons, I replaced 'em with some Oakleys (good deal on new unused pair). Nice enough, would be fine for a door slammer, but the soles are big and thick and heavy. In contrast, just got a pair of the Alpinestar shoes, don't remember what model... damn, very nice, comfy, snug, much more suited for my DSR/P2, so I'll be rotating them into primary race usage. Probably not quite thick enough to stomp around in all day as used to be my habit, but that's not an issue, fitting in a tiny pedal box is more important...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com