Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: driving gloves and shoes?

Default driving gloves and shoes?

I need to buy new gloves and shoes for next year what do people recommend ? Looking at alpinestar what are your thoughts? I have warn there motorcycle gear and thought they make a good product but these are 2 different worlds so speak up and voice you opinion thanks!
    2010 NERRC ITB Champion
    2012 NERRC ITS 3rd place
    2013 NERRC ITS 2nd

I like the Sparaco shoes. They're comfortable and not crazy expensive. I plan on buying new ones every few seasons.

Can't help but plug one of my supporters, but I've used them well before partnering with my site... OG racing has what you need. I'd also give them a call. They have a few SCCA (IT in fact) racers who answer the lines.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I just bought a pair of Sparco gloves and shoes to match the suit I bought a few years ago. The gloves fit great and look good to.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

I bought a set of A* Z1-X or whatever gloves last year. The gloves are comfy, but the sizes run a bit small. I don't have big hands and the measurement chart on SafeRacer's website said I was right on the line between a Med & large. I bought Med hoping for a 'tight fit'. I couldn't even begin to fit my hand in there. returned them for a large, and it's still like stuffing sausages to get my hands in there. When my hands are cold and dry, they fit great. In the summer when I'm sweaty, they're a pain.

.... Because of all the tugging trying to get the undersized gloves on, I tore a small hole near a key seam about the 3rd or 4th time I wore them. I took a small piece of Nomex from an older pair of gloves and nomex thread and stitched it up. voila.

That said, The gloves are very comfy and breathe well so they stay relatively cool in the summer (once you can get them on!)

I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again, but I'd go another size larger.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I have been going through gloves just about every season looking for something I really liked...I finally bit the bullet and bought the ZX-1's from A*'s and as said, they run small but they are the best glove I've owned to date...

as for shoes, that's a little more tricky, I've also tried a bunch and so far I haven't found ones that I am head over heals in love with...if you like a wide shoe with a big foot print that you walk around the paddock in pilotis come up cheap alot. If you like the narrow "for the car only" type of shoe I've had some Pumas which were decent and I've heard good things about the Simpson products, I'm interested in the A* shoes too but haven't been able to swallow the $200 price tag as of yet.
    Jason Carroll - NER IT7 #07

I bought two pair of Impact shoes when they were on super-duper special the other day.. a low top and a mid/hi top. (I think these were some of the Impact stuff with the fake SFI stickers on them).

The sole on the low top was absolutely horrible quality and the mid/hi wasn't a lot better. they're at least more comfy than my old shoes, but nothing to be impressed with. They were barely worth the $40/pr I paid for them. I would have been pissed if I had paid $100+ like the retail price suggested they were worth and got them.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Just my 2 cents but I have always preferred to match the glove to the wheel. One of my worst drives was co driving a car with a smooth leather wheel while using my suede gloves.

Personally I have suede sparco gloves and alpinestar shoes. Have used them for 5 full raxing seasons with no issues. The same cannot be said about my first Bell driving suit.

Plug to help our small business. We sell safety equip. Check us out.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Another vote for Alpinestars. I use Tech 1-ZX gloves and Tech 1-Z shoes. They're awesome.
    Dave O'Maley
    ITA '91 CRX
    Race Technology/Motion Control Suspension/Tri-State Warbird Museum

thanks for people being honest! this will help in the decision making
    2010 NERRC ITB Champion
    2012 NERRC ITS 3rd place
    2013 NERRC ITS 2nd

I love the Sparco gloves, You don't need to get the most expensive, THe cheaper sparco gloves are fantastic. http://www.techsportracing.com/product-category/gloves/
    Kevin Anderson

personally I like the external seam gloves (I use OMP)

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

I really like my cheap leather loafers.
    Russ

I couldn't even tell you what kind of gloves and shoes I wear. I know the heel of the right shoe has worn so much I can barely stand in the things.

Steve Ulfelder
    Author of Purgatory Chasm and The Whole Lie
    www.ulfelder.com

I got some cheap G-Force shoes in 2004 and am still wearing them today. They work fine. I am on my second pair of gloves though, I believe they are Spacros. Not sure I'd spend real coin on these items as the cheapies suffice.

Ron's correct...shoes can last forever (as long as you avoid walking in mud) but gloves are consumables. Spend realistically on gloves.

Well my gloves are torn ( the last race of the year) phew! And my shoes are about ready to blow out ( to much heal towing-ish) bad pedal position. So I don't mind spending money if I'm getting a good product but if it's an over priced iteam then I will look else where. But I have alway had good luck with A* with motorcycle equipment and I think I'm gonna give them a shot with racing equipment. But have had good advice as to use the same material gloves to wheel. And as any football kicker knows "laces (seams) out " a little play with wording I'm gonna give that a try also. As shoes go well gonna give A* a chance too. I like a shoe with a rubber type sole
    2010 NERRC ITB Champion
    2012 NERRC ITS 3rd place
    2013 NERRC ITS 2nd

Does safe racer still offer SCCA members a discount?

Does OG offer a price match or discount? Free shipping like safe racer?

Quadzjr, how about you? I couldn't find anything posted on your site.

Stephen

PS I need new belts (as well a my brother) and gloves! For belts I am leaning towards the schroth clubman. Gloves... I know I want double layer and prefer clearance! I blow through them and sweat in them. I don't mind replacing them often!

I won't recommend a specific model, but I will say TRY THINGS ON! And get the gloves with the seams on the exterior. Much more comfy. Add a suede wheel, and it's all good.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

+1 for external seam gloves.
    I'd avoid any gloves made with the Carbon X. I had a pair that fit great but wore holes in them in about one season. They just fell apart. A buddy of mine had the same experience. And I had a balaclava do the same thing.

I just got a new pair of shoes. My old ones used velcro to wrap around the ankle and the stitching on the velco is what gave out. I'm a thin guy and the velcro never worked well because it wrapped around so much that it was barely held on. I wanted a pair that was entirely lace-up this time around. For whatever reason there are very few shoes out there without velcro. Alpinestars were the only ones that made a completely lace up shoe in my size 13. They fit my feet great, but beware if you have wide feet. These are not for you.

I've used the same pair of G-force gloves ever since I started racing.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region