Thread: Street tires in IT? My Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    I find the biggest loss in time (using our data, not a hunch) is actually getting the power down at exit. On Hoosiers you can get on the throttle sooner and harder making up time all the way down the straight.

Stephen
    **Hodge-podge post to follow**

1. On the other forum, there was a thread posted about a test with an autox Vette comparing street tires and A6s. Very similar DATA was found: the peak g-loading between the tires were similar, both laterally and longitudinally. The streets were nowhere near as good at doing two things at once. You could see it pretty starkly in the g-meter scatter plots that read like a friction circle.

2. The available sizes are probably an issue. I think there would be some that would argue that the bigger problem would be with the B and C cars, not as much the S cars, because in the little cars the diametrical difference is more, street vs R. Hell, for them, it would be a bigger setup change, because even ride height is grossly effected. Counter to that argument could be that **most** cars in the same class run on similar diameter wheels/tires. So you could say that it would effect everyone evenly, for the most part.

3. On a 15X7, you can run a 225/45-15, which is available in the Rival. There was a test in the last GRM of this tire. It was faster on the 8 and 9, but whatever.

4. On the ME front. I run all sorts of tires on my car. For pdx, I've run a 13" V710, a 205 Ecsta XS on a 15X7, and a Azenis 615K on a 15X6. I also ran the ARRC on a combo of the Azenis on the 6 for a rain quali session, and an SM6 take-off on a 15X7. I'm not married to any of the above. They all "feel good." Right now, what I'm planning on doing next year is to run at least one SCCA endurance race on the Rival, a Chump on the Rival on 8s, and a Major which will probably be on some sort of R6 take off, to better keep up in the STL/FProd groups.

Unfortunately because my car has been through tons of changes, I don't have comparative data, but I ran high 1:45s at the ARRC on the SM6s, and at a late season pdx at Lime Rock I ran a high 1:05 on the Ecta XS. ITA car, VERY light prep. Honestly, I felt 1:05s at LRP on streets was very strong, I'm pretty sure with even just a smidge of development in the car, and newer streets, I'd be able to find someone to race with in even a mid sized field.

5. Why does the data matter {Devil's Advocate}? If you have a group on streets, how they compare to a class on rcomps is immaterial. I think the Blethen's experience, and from what I've seen from #4, even in a mixed group, a street tire shod car won't be dangerous or in the way. The guy or girl inside it will just be retaining a few more of his/her earned dollars.

6. Chip: I'd like to see a pic of your car with the STC livery. And maybe info on where to get me some. Or maybe just make the graphics files available? I'm borderline agnostic on the whole thing, as running the SM6 take-offs was frickin cheap for me too. But otoh, they were trash after only the ARRC weekend, and it would be easier to not have to put new tires on all the time, no matter the cost of them.

Good discussion. I have no interest in changing anyone's mind at this point, or pushing for rules changes. The organic movement that could come out of Chip's idea is compelling, though.

Will
    Last edited by webhound; 12-03-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Rival 225/45/R15... $121 from tirerack. wow
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    Rival 225/45/R15... $121 from tirerack. wow
    Up until a week or so ago, they were also offering a $50 rebate when you buy 4... then there's the Dunlop Z2 at $109 each... and Bridgestone with the RE-11A and a $70 rebate.

Like I've said before: the current crop of street tires don't have the same absolute limits as R-comps but they're a crap ton cheaper as long as you have a tire that doesn't need or benefit greatly from shaving.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

and so far we're getting two full weekend out a new set.
    I'm surprised you're not getting more out of them. I thought street tires have a much longer life span?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I think this is a really cool idea. I'd like to encourage any and all of my STL competitors to try out these tires, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I think this is a really cool idea. I'd like to encourage any and all of my STL competitors to try out these tires, too.
    Dave Gran, I think you should also move to street tires for 2014......................
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

With the engine issues, I barely raced. Got some Hoosiers in my basement ready to go.

I do honestly like the idea of being able to reduce tire costs.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

The livery as. Run on my car:

Decals will be red where this is green. "Racing for fun" is a placeholder. I'm accepting alternate suggestions for that. Right now I'm thinking a play on words about the tread like. "race with depth" or simply "groovy".

I'll share the art on the website which is forthcoming. I hope to have it all up and running by 1/1/14

and thanks to Marc Dana (MazMarc) for the design and vinyl work. he makes my bad ideas look good.
    Last edited by Chip42; 12-03-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Chip, I love what your doing with this!

Greg, I would have but you kicked me out of your sand box

Next year we are thinking of doing this as a double dip in STL/STU. Tim and I did it last year at the last race and just started last. Had a lot of fun but caught the miatas faster than we thought we would.

We will post up a video from VIR soon. Tires lasted way better at that track than NJ. But at both tracks they lasted 13+hrs and I would still use them.

I'll let Chris chime in with our experience with the Rivals at PBIR a few weeks ago. We came out with a class win through attrition, and times weren't too far off the HoHos.

No we didn't: we never let you in to begin with!

Chip, I love what your doing with this!

Next year we are thinking of doing this as a double dip in STL/STU. Tim and I did it last year at the last race and just started last. Had a lot of fun but caught the miatas faster than we thought we would.

We will post up a video from VIR soon. Tires lasted way better at that track than NJ. But at both tracks they lasted 13+hrs and I would still use them.
    How did your diff temps do with the different clearance?
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    Decals will be red where this is green. "Racing for fun" is a placeholder. I'm accepting alternate suggestions for that. Right now I'm thinking a play on words about the tread like. "race with depth" or simply "groovy".

I'll share the art on the website which is forthcoming. I hope to have it all up and running by 1/1/14

and thanks to Marc Dana (MazMarc) for the design and vinyl work. he makes my bad ideas look good.
    Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Wonder what else could be thought of? Something pertaining to the low cost and longevity of the tires. Inexpensive and lasts! Okay, probably not that...
    Several quick ideas-

TREADS- not just for F1 anymore...

RIBBED, for my wallet's pleasure.

The most fun you can have with more than 6/32s...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Lookin good, Chip and informative discussion. You'd better get those eyebrows back on. That's a second/lap!
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

I'm surprised you're not getting more out of them. I thought street tires have a much longer life span?
    +1, cheese grater track?

I have ~18 hours on my Azenis 615Ks, other than one that's sort of flat spotted, they have at least another half that left, or more.

I have probably 20+ hours on my Ecsta XS (which don't meet the 200tw requirements for most street tire series, but ARE streets), and they came to me as a completely unknown quantity. I'd use them another 2 pdx days, AT LEAST. A novice or inter PDX driver could probably go another 10-12 hours on them with no trouble.

I did a Lemons with another team on the Dunlop Z1s, 14 hours and they had at least another 6+ hours on them with no issues, E30 BMW.

I'm pretty sure others are seeing the same numbers out of the Z2s and the Rivals. IE if you're somewhat diligent with them re flat spotting (to which streets are pretty resistant) and rotation, 24 hard track hours are not out of the qustion for a set.

Notable with at least the ones I've had direct experience with, the 615k, XS and Z1, the tires are very very consistent along it's life. Example, the Z1 on the E30 was at Lightning. I ran my fastest laps of the event in the cool on the second day after the tires had been run for ~9-10 hours. And that was well into my stint.

Good write up.

I need to do a test day on the Rivals I bought four months ago and see what this things are like.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

If you are going to have a "gentleman's agreement" per tires, have a small trophy /pizza party just for the guys on the right tires. Dont allow the HOHOs to eat any pizza. Sounds trivial but racing among friends is the best.
    Some guys just like to go fast and look good on the results page. Some guys, as they get older/wiser, like to race WTW. The actual speed is irrelevant. Slower cars give you time to flip each other off on the straights.

The actual tires; Falken gave me some tires @ 40$ per for the Crap can races way back. They were fine until they got overhot and then went greasy. They also dried out and were rocks at the next race. I dont use falken anymore. I pay for Dunlops, DZ101 and Stars, and will run the Rivals or RS3 . The RS3 are cheaper and seem to run almost as fast as the Rivals.

Spec the max width, dont let it get into a tech battle.
    Maybe spec "all 4 shall be the same size".
    If the intent is cost containment , contain it.

I am happy to see new racers posting here . Welcome.
    Please voice your tire concerns , and maybe how you came to race with SCCA. So that we have some idea how to do it better.
    Thanks, MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    If you are going to have a "gentleman's agreement" per tires, have a small trophy /pizza party just for the guys on the right tires. Dont allow the HOHOs to eat any pizza.
    So...you're recommending we shun them.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    I need to do a test day on the Rivals I bought four months ago and see what this things are like.
    Note that these tires are far, far, far better than anything we had when Improved Touring was born. But technology moves on...recall the first-gen RX-7 was in ITS and my old Rabbit GTI was a pretty competitive car in ITA...the real issue here is relative performance to the extent of what is compliant to the regs.

I think we should start a movement where no one is allowed to rebuild their engine...we only allow people to run junkyard engines. We'd all save a ton of money. (/tongue-in-cheek)

- GA

Thumbs up

Don't get me wrong there is thread left on them but grip is 50% gone. Mind you we have 2 20min practice, 1 20min qualiy on Saturday + 1 20min practice + 2 30 min races on sunday. Our average track temp fluctuate from 90(winter) to 120(summer).
    Efrain N Alers
    Nativo Performance
    787-635-9546
    https://improvedtouring.coms/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12013&dateline=120412  5665

Quote Originally Posted by AE86ITA View Post
    Don't get me wrong there is thread left on them but grip is 50% gone. Mind you we have 2 20min practice, 1 20min qualiy on Saturday + 1 20min practice + 2 30 min races on sunday. Our average track temp fluctuate from 90(winter) to 120(summer).
    Maybe it's the heat, but this doesn't match with what many others have seen. You say you get a deal on the Ecsta XS, I've actually found them to be a longevity champion. My first set I did a few track days THEN did probably 250 competitive autox runs. They were good through all of that and I sold them on to a guy using them on his daily Miata.

R1R, I would expect to see wicked wear and fall off in your heat after only a handful of sessions.