Good discussion that I've just spent the last few hours catching up on. I am with Chip 1000% on this. What I like is that Chip's idea is more about changing the culture - not the rules.

The "End Game" question is interesting. I'll take a shot... I hear many people lamenting the passing of the early days of IT. This tells me that there is a gap in the bottom of the SCCA race class structure pyramid. The gap is for a class where one can be competitive and do it for less $$$ than today running IT or the other SCCA classes. What is the formula? Who knows - but I bet one part of it includes tires more like the current street tires and less like Hoosiers. Maybe the Street Tire Challenge class and some of the other lower cost/street tire initiatives will draw racers that yearn for the early IT days - even if they do not know it. And maybe there will be a push to make even one class for affordable & competitive racing. And maybe the rules makers will use the experiences of IT costs escalating to write a rule set that inherently does a better job of controlling costs.

Or maybe not. Maybe nothing comes of all this. But if the SCCA ends up with a single class that is cheaper than IT and attracts new racers - that would be a good thing IMHO.